The Summoner

Ritual

You may think that I've become super-productive all of a sudden, but that is not quite true... This mini has probably sat on my desk for over a year in a nearly finished state. I couldn't decide what to do for the base, though, as I really dislike the base that comes with the miniature. A while ago the Polish company MaxMini released this set of books, candles, scrolls etc. and I knew what to do with this mini. The objects are perhaps slightly big compared to the mini (which is tiny... 16 mm from floor to eye level in its kneeling position), but the photos make it look a little worse than it actually is (those with the candles in front of the mini).

img49ff49ff81cfe.jpg

This mini is a good example of how unbelievably talented Tom Meier is. This type of exquisite detail, and these proportions I don't think anyone but him could pull of at this scale.

Here's a CMON link if anyone feels like voting: http://www.coolminiornot.com/221228

I hope you like it! :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention it contains a nekkid lady...

Edited by Ritual

Yow, that's some nice work. Smooth, gorgeous skintones, which are especially tough at this size. I have this one (the other version) and some other tiny TM sculpts, so I can appreciate the skill it takes. And by 'appreciate' I mean that it's way beyond me, at this point. Well done!

Yeah, the delicateness and the very life-like proportions of Tom's sculpt made this quite challenging to paint. But also very rewarding. I'm thinking of having a go at it again at some point. Since it was a year ago I painted most of the actual mini I got a bit of longing to paint it again. Thanks for your kind words! :)

So... any hints on skin tones? I seem to have forgotten how.

Seriously, I used to paint skin really well, and then somewhere along the way I just forgot what colors I used. I can get there in the end, eventually, but it takes me a lot more fiddling than it did two years ago.

Y'know I love it Anders, but I still gotta wonder about the boots. I just want to know what happens in a Girls head when she goes a'summonin'. I mean, The boots are kick ass and I am sure you could do a forced march from Berlin to Poland in them, I just don't know if that's neccessary given the rest of the outfit. Does she need the support and comfort of the boots? Is it for ankle stability that she chose those boots? I just need to know the reason the sculptor went for those boots! It's killin' me!

So... any hints on skin tones? I seem to have forgotten how.

Seriously, I used to paint skin really well, and then somewhere along the way I just forgot what colors I used. I can get there in the end, eventually, but it takes me a lot more fiddling than it did two years ago.

I never use skin tone straight from the bottle. I feel all pre-mixed skin tones are off in some way or another. Often they are too saturated for my liking.

In this case I used a mix of 50/50 or 60/40 of Elf Flesh and Dark Flesh with a dash of VMC Azure in the mix to dull it down a bit. I prefer to shade skin with a dark red. Then I can treat it with filters (coloured glazes) to create the look I want (purple for colder, green for more natural etc.). Highlighting can be done with more or less any really light colour mixed into the base coat. Pick one that suits the overall look you're going for. In this case I've used VMC Light Flesh. I usually stay away from using white, as that often creates too stark results that don't look natural.