Neverborn fluff

thetang22

Is it possible to get some Neverborn fluff? I was thinking about it recently and realized that we don't really have any official stories about them other than the one in the e-zine vol. 2 about Zoraida the Hag, and then there's also the one in the first e-zine that has some stuff on Killjoy, but he's a Mercenary/Neverborn supposedly.

The Neverborn have already been featured in the first e-zine, and other than Killjoy, there wasn't really any fluff about them that I can remember. There are quite a few other Neverborn, particularly Lillith and Pandora, that we don't really know any fluff about, and since their slot in the e-zine has come and gone they aren't scheduled to have any fluff about them any time soon.

These are some characters that have been around for quite some time now and we don't really know anything about them, and then you've got a guy like Seamus who's been in around 3 or so featured stories already.

I am writing a story for the next e-zine that involves Lilith as an antagonist for Rasputina. That relationship will surface repeatedly in future stories.

You're quite right that there are several characters that haven't seen any stage time as of yet. It is certainly something that I'm conscious of. I am making a concerted effort to visit a wider selection of characters, going forward.

However, equally important is the setting fiction and the arc of current events taking place in Malifaux. Seamus just happens to be wrapped up in those events and his adventures with The Gorgon and his quest into the fundamental forces involved in necromancy will continue to be a feature that is developed.

Nathan has talked some about increasing the amount fiction seen on the website and I think that's a good idea, although very few companies publish a lot of fiction for their setting online, in story or ezine format.

Do you think it would be helpful, perhaps, if a small description, maybe two or three paragraphs, were written for each of the characters to be seen in the webstore, perhaps? Something along those lines? Small character bios?

By the way, thetang22, I find your avatar both hypnotic and deeply disturbing!

I am writing a story for the next e-zine that involves Lilith as an antagonist for Rasputina.

<snip>

Do you think it would be helpful, perhaps, if a small description, maybe two or three paragraphs, were written for each of the characters to be seen in the webstore, perhaps? Something along those lines? Small character bios?

<snip>

I think something not unlike the little blurbs Privateer Press(case in point the Skorne Void Spirit up on the front page right now) gives a nice intro to the character and can also help at times to increase interest in the characters. Even the little blurbs that FF has up on the front page with the Silurids helps to give a little bit more depth to the miniature. And until the game comes out a few hints about where they fit into the game would help as well.

Hey, a few things.

1. Character bios would be great. As of right now we don't know much about much and for players whoa re browsing it is very helpful to have a quick source for what is what. A cool bios can sell a lot of minis and generate surprising interest.

2. I play a card game called Legend of the Five Rings and the company does weekly fictions on their website. This is rare I admit and you certainly don't have the manpower for it but website fictions can really

help spur interest and give people something to talk about. It's nice to have a base of stories you can point to for new people and say "Read this" which will get them interested. I don't know how many people you have writing fiction write now but it's an idea for the future to get a story team together to write stories so you can spread the work around and get a lot more done. I think the story is a huge part of any model game and really gives people a feel for the game as they get attached to characters and their stories.

Just my two cents.

I'm completely for that idea as well. Some of the models already do have a paragraph or 2, but I think some of those descriptions are a little out-dated for the current path Wyrd has taken. For instance, Ramos' page talks about him being a "mercenary sorcerer." That might get a little confusing for new people with the distinction of the Mercenary faction.

I used to be really into Rackham products before they released Confrontation: Age of the Ragnarok. Back in classic Confrontation, the company had its share of ups and downs, but one thing it did really well that pulled a lot of people in was give fluff about pretty much every single character in the game, from the lowliest soldiers to the mightiest legends. All the fluff was available right in the online store with the character pics. They had a very fleshed out universe and it was one of the best drawing points about the company besides the fantastic metal minis they used to make.

Edited by thetang22

Nick and I have been talking and we're getting some ideas and stories/write-ups put together that will cover factions, characters and the overall setting and atmosphere of Malifaux.

We might even want to go back through the online store and look at what the write-ups there say and see if we need to edit them a bit.

Well...yes, you are... You're job is to, er, um, get people excited about the minis (yep, you do throw up a little when you say stuff like that!). I guess painters are technically fluffers too, so you're not alone.:wacko:

Well, when you put it like that, it doesn't sound so bad (I guess).