News Monkey's wanted ....

Nathan Caroland

The #1 thing is links to another site for the information, or for more information, driving traffic overtly away from wyrd is frowned upon. Also sale pitches, special deals, pricing, competitive painting contests, etc...aren't good. We're looking for news on miniature and game releases, and happenings in the miniature gaming world. Simply putting "Press Release" at the top of something won't cut it.

Another way to look at it, is if it's not something that can start a discussion or review, it's probably over the line. And ultimately, people will find out if posts are over the line, you know, when they disappear :D

I wouldn't worry about it too much folks, if its over the top and not really appreciated, you'll usually hear it from someone here in the forums or privately from me. That being said, I think that has only happened twice in the last three years and I doubt it'll happen again.

Won't give specifics but in the past there have been some folks/companies that have tried to torpedo Wyrd, the product or our contests. The one that comes to mind immediately was the almost a year and a half back, maybe more, someone was trying to outright copy our style of doing contests and within hours of us announcing ours, announced their own with the exact same theme, copy and paste of the rules from our forums and an announcement that if you could read between the lines said 'Wyrd sucks, join our contests instead'.

It stayed on the site less than ten minutes I believe and had two entries when it was over.

:D

So, as you can see, we're pretty damn open about games, industry news and anything else that you can make the hobby more enjoyable, just stuff that is seriously over the top is frowned upon.

we're not looking to becomes a sales platform for other companies, so advertisements and such might just get deleted :D (not directing that at you Bexley, just in general say'n)

No worries on that- unless it was specifically miniatures-related, I'd only post new releases, and without commentary or sales pitches.

I suppose any new release pic or something upcoming is a sales pitch in itself..however I am the firm believer in the fact that there are very few people in this hobby or on this site that only collect 1 miniature range...I'm a mini whore and I freely admit to being a bit of a sucker for new toys but I am also equally drawn into buyig releases when I see them in the comps ....

Wren raised a good point though... I open Wyrd up as the second stop everytime I open my browser .. I open up check my emails check Wyrd then maybe have a look around or just leave it at that.. I must admit that I have found myself looking around other sites recently to keep in the loop so I miss the news bits and have never seen it as a risk to Wyrd but merely another strength ..The more news I can find in a single source the more I'll stick around that source..

Reviews are another thing I like to see... wether its good or bad I like to see /hear what peoples experiences are Wyrd related and other companies..That may lead more on the advertisig plug type jobby but I think they are a useful thing and the beauty of this site and it's members is that it's relatively well self moderated by the members so every post doesn't turn into bashing a company..

No worries on that- unless it was specifically miniatures-related, I'd only post new releases, and without commentary or sales pitches.

commentary is fine, opinions are great, that's the whole point after all! :D

you know, as long as the opinion isn't along the lines of "check this out because wyrd sucks hard"

that would make Nathan cry

• 4 weeks later...

Well, as you can see, we're hard on the primates around here, we've already had one collapse under the strain and another has gone to ground to gather banannas for a bit, but, THE NEWS MUST GO ON!

So, while I've still got one News bringer, its a job that I think deserves another couple. I see a few of you were interested in it above, so holler at me in the thread again and we'll get you hooked up with what the generals are and a nice preview of the upcoming Steamborg in WIP progress and lay you out for freebies down the road.

Sorry I've been quiet for a bit, I went away for vacation to the beach and as I have no laptop or any other kind of portable access, I was kinda cut off the internet for awhile.

Will be back to News Monkeying around as soon as I recover and as soon as the sunburns fade a little... owwwwww.....