Drycha Branchwraith--WIP

fieldarchy

So this is my first serious GW mini. Others I've painted for people to play with but not many, just a few tyranids really.

I'm practicing my skills, getting a little bit better with things so I can kick tail in the Golden Demons this year. At least that's what I hope for. So, this is what I have done thus far.

Picture047.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

This is about 4 hours of work, probably a little less so far. I just got done putting the first highlight on her bark and hope to get the bark completely done before I go to bed tonight. Leaving just bits of her to do tomorrow. I'm trying to get her finished so I can put her up on Ebay. So, I'm not shooting for a perfect paint job, but better than what I have done.

Not a lot to say really except it's looking nice... I've painted this model a few times and it's pretty nice the face bugs me though ..

The colour you have chosen is lovely and you have picked out the belly and leg detail fantastically..If anything you could maybe vary the shadow colours a touch..maybe a hint of green in the current shadow mix here and there .. not necessary just a though.. look forward to seeing the progress..

yeah, it's tough to really criticize anything you've done so far, it looks great! I agree with DemonH that perhaps adding a little variation in the color of shadows and such may serve well to break up the large expanses of similar color. But I don't speak with the authority of ever having painted her :)

Looking awesome.. That area of brancjes behind her head is a real bitch and a few colour breaks will be needed to define it...Not sure how close the brown is to the finished colour but I'm not feeling it as much as the grey colour...I can tell there is still more work to do but it would benefit from a slightly warmer and deeper colour...Are you using GW paints if so looks like scorched brown???Guessing here...scorch brown is a very red heavy brown and has a tendency to go pink ..something like a touch of vermin brown will help richen the colour and maybe some dark angels green in the base colour to counteract the red a bit... definitely some fairly deep shadows need to help define that massed tangle she has going on...

Hope this helps .. as I say looking great on a deceptively devillish model.....

Thanks Demon! Yeah definitely more work to do. I only use RMS paints so the brown is actually a mix I made on my own with some of the ivory color mixed into it for one round of highlights then I just used the straight up ivory for tiny highlights. I do plan to work on that some more. The hair at this point I'm just messing with. I decided to give something different a go, so I just left it primed and kinda messy and started glazing areas. You can see the different colors and I'm totally diggin' how it's turning out. A bit more experimenting and I think I'll have her spot on!

yup kinda similar. Before I started painting her I looked for examples on CMON but didn't really see any I liked a whole bunch. I started painting with a different idea in mind than what's been turning out. What I've actually been able to do is way better than the idea I had anyway. I've been taking a lot of advice from Jeremie (Bragon on CMON) and Sebastian (Automaton on CMON) and Aaron (Olliekickflip on CMON). They've been steering me in a new direction with my painting.

Ooooo. I really like the green tones in near her feet. The arm branches seem a bit reddish and dark to me. It works well for framing her face, but maybe if it were closer to the creamy golden color of the flowers? I'm not sure, but the arm color is standing out as too stark a contrast to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so y'all have seen this mini before. I've been told that I need to learn some photo editing however, not having photoshop is proving to be very frustrating. Not to mention I've got an older digital camera and no tripod . . . so there's only so far I can go with my photos you know?

Anyway, this is what I've got but people have told me not to use these photos because of the white line surrounding the mini. Unfortunately there's no easy way for me to get rid of this without having PS and I refuse to spend hours hand erasing this thin white line. I'd go batty.

So, are these photos really THAT bad? I mean take a look at what I've got up now . . . http://www.coolminiornot.com/181670

DrychaCMON.jpg

I've posted this on CMON to see if it makes a difference . . . here's the link if you'd like to vote or leave a comment

http://www.coolminiornot.com/182453

Hiya! In my opinion - don't use the second photo - the rough edge makes the whole thing look rough - even though I know it isn't, and the darkness of the background stands out more than the mini. I have PS - would you like me to do a background for you? What colour - typical blue/white fade or just a darker grey?

EDIT: Here is a quick possible fix for the first picture - I would need the original larger ones to smooth out some of the inconsistencies but you get the idea. In this I have darkened the figure using a light Burn and then added a grey gradient layer and merged using Exclusion.

Picture084a.jpg

Nice work but the fix that WolfDreamerNZ is a good fix for this one as you don't see the cut out around everything that gives it that glowing look, you can usually get this by feathering, etc, etc. Spacemunkie did a nice article which is in the articles section here that deals with photo editing.

Having it with its own printed background looks pretty good too, though it might work to go with a darker one for her as well as she's got plenty of lighter colors involved with her and it might help her 'pop' a bit more.

Meg: How picky do you want us to be? It is better than the black gradient edit but I like the original for various reasons. As for PS being expensive - it is and I agree with you - if I didn't have ot for work - I wouldn't have it at all....but try looking for Photoshop Elements...it comes with lots of hardware these days - scanners, printers, graphics tablets, etc....maybe someone has a spare copy lying around. Or Ulead PhotoImpact - I can help you around in that as well.

No worries DH - fire away...