Scibor Miniatures

I think they're ok, I'm just not fond of the way they're molded to look so.. "chunky". (to explain) Most of the molds have no parts that stick out, arms and legs are a part of the same "chunk" that makes up the body... everything's gotten all smushed into one piece. (is that understandable?)

I like more dynamic stuff.

I really like the dwarves, I like the chunky feel to them and for me the sculpting is superb. I would agree with the hands on the human wizard guy though.

I thourghly get sick of hearing people moaning about his use of press molds. It's a tool, just like some people use stencils for armour and scales. If you don't like the effect fine but most people seem to indicate it shows a lack of talent - I think that is nonsense.

I thourghly get sick of hearing people moaning about his use of press molds. It's a tool, just like some people use stencils for armour and scales. If you don't like the effect fine but most people seem to indicate it shows a lack of talent - I think that is nonsense.

It hasn't a thing to do with the fact that he actually pressmolds, but with the fact that he denied it on multiple accounts when it was more than obvious that parts were pressmolded. That's just wrong. Pressmolding itself is no problem (unless you are selling it as stuff by your own, because that is plain theft).

The sculpting is a bit soft & ropey in areas, but the painting is pretty nice.

Press molding is not a tool either by the way though the result is to make a copying stamp. It is a technique used to copy areas of detail by pressing putty onto another piece & using that to make molded copies. If the work being copied is your own, that is completely acceptable & really simply a shortcut that may or may not appeal to the buyer. However, press molding another sculptor or company's work for your own monetary gain is theft. If that is the case here, then this product doesn't really need to be advertised on another company's forum.

Ok I understand a bit better now. Its not the molding process thats under the gun but a issue of theft of anothers work.

For clarification are these copies or no? Partial copies? Bit and pieces copies? Something that has happened in the past and the perp changed his ways and produced authentic pieces free of "press molding" ?

Isn't a stamp a tool? If I choose ( had i the talent ) to sculpt something and not want to sculpt it another 50 times, does it detract from the original work because I copied it? Isn't a mold a type of stamp?

To much coffee+skittles = A flow of questions.

I'm making no accusations here, just explaining what press molding is & the issues behind it.

I wouldn't really consider a mold a tool, just part of a process in the same way that I wouldn't really consider a photocopier a tool. If you start to use that photocopier or mold to actually manipulate your medium in some way, then it becomes a tool.

Pressmolding as a way of duplicating reused parts is only effective in smaller terms. It is not going to give you as clean a copy as doing a full mold either. Intermediate metal & resin parts are made all the time on parts that require uniformity such as guns. Doing so on faces or other unique features would get boring fast.

Sorry simple misunderstanding - I thought you were referring to his use of computer aided design techniques.

As to the press molding issue, personnaly I have never seen Scribor deny the use of them (doesn't mean he hasn't). He has certainly come out swinging a couple of times when people have made disparaging comments about his work but considering the level of vitriol often sent his way I can't blame him.

I have also seen his work in the pages of White Dwarf so GW must presumably be pretty comfortable with his commercial activities around their IP.

I wasn't aware he was making molds of other people's work. I know he uses press molds, and he has a tutorial on his site for making them, based on his own patterns- he makes the negative pattern out of sculpey, then presses green stuff over it to transfer the pattern. I don't really think there's anything wrong with that.

Scibor has had endless criticismand finger points for the old press moulding thing...The reason being he was doing it for faces etc basically copying a space marine or dwarf face and manipulating it slightly ..That isn't a good thing.. A lot of the pressmoulding stuff he does is his own templates and fair do's for creating a shortcut of your own work to save repeating things but for me that is often the problem things get repeated.. not so much on these but on some of his other work...I'm not a fan of the finished look as it gives a rounded unfinished kind of look...however you look at it the guy has talent and has drawn a lot of sniping and unfair crit for basically making good money from what he does.. He doesn't stand there and force people to buy so I see no harm.

I don't like it I don't buy it so simple enough really...

The main thing that disturbs me here is the fact that the concept drawings he presents are simply photos of the finished mini being run through photoshop filters.

Pressmolding is not a problem to me, as long as it' shis own stuff. Also the Computer-based work he does is fine.

I would consider this (and a photocopier, too!) a tool!

A tool is just an item to support the speed or quality of your way to your aimed result.

Basically, a laundromat would be a tool then, too!

Kewllll... every time a Scibor miniature is posted this subject comes up. I do admit reading some of the 35 pages long tirades on Scibor at Frothers Unite is sort of amusing. They like to thrash and they know how.

Blaming anybody for pressmoulding and employing computer in the miniature creating process is just like blaming your neighbor for using a flashlight when you run around with a torch :)

BUT the problem is that Scibor has been accused multiple times not just of abusing GW IP but even pressmoulding their parts.

I do think that causes a lot of trouble since he's got the talent and a lot of his sculpts would be commented differently if not for this infamous story.

Yeah, and AFAIK he stopped press molding faces for his conversions when he learned that it was frowned upon.

So, again, GET OVER IT! This is not directed at you Fishbane, but as a general request... This kind of implications sometimes border on slander, and at least I find it very uncool. If you want to critique Scibor's work, keep it to the point and at least try to be constructive.

*steps down from the soap box*

:)

Yeah, and AFAIK he stopped press molding faces for his conversions when he learned that it was frowned upon.

So, again, GET OVER IT! This is not directed at you Fishbane, but as a general request... This kind of implications sometimes border on slander, and at least I find it very uncool. If you want to critique Scibor's work, keep it to the point and at least try to be constructive.

*steps down from the soap box*

:)

100% agree.