Dark Sword Miniatures, Song of FIre & Ice: Melisandre

Jubilee

Hey everyone -

I wheedled my way into taking one of Jim's 3 metal castings of this model at GenCon and actually managed to get it finished before the deadline! I painted her to match the description in the books (and art on Game of Thrones cards). Jim liked her so well that she's going to be the official Dark Sword version. He even showed it to George RR Martin, who liked it! *faint* George RR Martin might know my name!! <G>

melisandre1.jpg

melisandre8.jpg

melisandre5.jpg

There are more images at my website.

You can vote for her here.

Comments? Questions?

Thanks for looking!

/ali

You know, it might be the mini selection itself, but it seems that you've done something different with this one and that it seems to be just a tad of a step above what you've been doing of late. Generally when I see one of your minis I go 'ah, that's Ali'. This one here, if you had for the giggles of it thrown it on a different background and not put your logo on it, I would have had a bit of a harder time guessing that.

Of course, it might also be that you put a Darksword miniature on a round display base which I don't think I've seen you do before either.

Anyhoo - very nicely done!

You know, it might be the mini selection itself, but it seems that you've done something different with this one and that it seems to be just a tad of a step above what you've been doing of late. Generally when I see one of your minis I go 'ah, that's Ali'. This one here, if you had for the giggles of it thrown it on a different background and not put your logo on it, I would have had a bit of a harder time guessing that.

Of course, it might also be that you put a Darksword miniature on a round display base which I don't think I've seen you do before either.

Anyhoo - very nicely done!

I don't know what it might be. I mixed paints for the flesh, so it's not one of the reaper triads exactly, and usually when I mix flesh it's for "nonhumans" - so that might be one of the big differences. I also tried a new recipe for NMM.

The reason she's not on an official Dark Sword base is because they didn't have bases done yet when I got her, so it was on a plain oval bit of metal. I'm still not sure what the official bases will look like.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm finally improving.. ;)

/ali

Holy Shizzle I like that.

Congrats on the officialness and getting George R.R's approval too!

Originally when Jim showed it to George, she had an emerald necklace, and I was asked to change it to a ruby to match the art from a dragon magazine cover.. and even though I'd rather have left it green for the contrast... it was like "omg George RR Martin might know my name!!! omg omg omg" so it made having to make changes not so annoying.. ;)

/ali

Originally when Jim showed it to George, she had an emerald necklace, and I was asked to change it to a ruby to match the art from a dragon magazine cover.. and even though I'd rather have left it green for the contrast... it was like "omg George RR Martin might know my name!!! omg omg omg" so it made having to make changes not so annoying.. ;)

/ali

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Yeah I think he knows who you are. :P

Too, too cool! I know some folks involved with GRR Martin fandom from a different direction, and he seems really accessible and great about giving feedback to people who are very involved in evoking his world in other media. It is way too cool that he gave feedback on the painting of this! (Though I agree that colour wise some touches of green would be very effective, but GRR speaks and everyone listens! ;->)

I think your posted stuff has been looking better lately, but based on having seen your stuff in real life, I've been wondering if it's a case of some steps forward in photography that better display your painting skills.