Cindy's quest to paint Enigma's Sumothay

cdukino

Well here it is, as planned. My quest to paint Enigma's Sumothay-thread (start to finish, including basing). It will likley be a slow thread as the fig will likely take long to complete (I do not want to rush it). It is also my first wip/progress thread I ever done (usually i'm afraid to show the ugly phases every mini seems to go through. The points where you think man this is gonna be crap, i'm gonna strip it).

This should be an intresting new thing for me.

Fase one: deciding on which components to use.

components.jpg

As you can see I went for the bannerless option and use his weapon sheets instead. 3 reasons for that. 1 the banner part looked to fiddly and bendable/breakable to put together (with hardly any contact space between some parts where they needed to attach). I would be afraid all the time of breaking the figure, if it didn't fall appart out of it's own already.

2th, i like the detailwork on the back, something that would get completely lost by putting the cape over it.

3th Walking around with a banner just doesn't seem pracical where having actual sheets to put away the swords in does. With the banner he'd have both his hands full all the time.

I also left of the seperate dagger. I might or might not add that in the end.

@ Steve: Yes it's a big figure. I only ever once painted a figure of the same size before. And that was Heresy's Azaroth (not counting the wings). This big guy has infinite more detailing then the Heresy demon though. And it's detail is finer (talking along the lines of Tom Meier here) and atleast as rich per square cm as 28-32mm figs

Deciding on the green parts

Painting the face and starting the hair.

Nearing midnight here and just one lightbulb available so the lighting on the picture sucks. But you get an idea.

Facial-work.jpg

I decided to do the face first. The most fun and one of the most important parts of a figure. The bit that gives the mini most life. This in case I would screw up there. That way if i needed to strip it would just be work on the face that got lost.

I also sculpted a bit. Some of the detailwork was deformed to allow for the cape to be attached. Not all those dents were needed for the sheets I am gonna attach to the back. Also i found an airbubble hole. Got rid of that as well.