Vallejo Paint Price

matty1001

Laura (girfriend) decieded that she would buy me the vallejo paint set case for xmas today. Im going to Rome just before xmas so i can pick one up there but its €180 which is roughly £120/$230, but iv been doing a little digging about on the net and found this: http://www.empiregamestore.co.uk/Vallejo/VPbrushesandpaintsets.html which are only £110/$210/€164 with free P&P, but has anybody ordered from these before? And is there any better deals on the net? O and what the difference between the two sets on that site? I think one is military colour?

Whew, hefty price there. You know, you might just want to look into the PP paint sets that are coming out, from what I've heard of it, everyone loves it.

That's funny, given that no one I know locally had anything good to say about the Privateer Press ones at all. in fact one guy I know picked up a bunch, used em and then tossed em up for auction he disliked them so much.

Vallejo's are wonderful for wet-blending or a more oil paintish style. They also have an amazing color selection with neutral tones that you just cant get elsewhere. If you do a lot of thin layers though you need to dullcoat a lot with them to keep the paint underneath from pealing. I mostly use a combination of Valleyo and Reaper Master Series myself as teh RMS are great layering paints. The P3's remind me way too much of Citadel paints for my tastes.

Although I like the P3 paint...paying $18/18 euros for 6 paint pots is just too much for me. I'll probably be picking up some pots with cool colors, but not more than that. I'll stick to VGC.

Last weekend was Spellenspektakel in Holland (biggest event over here) and I organized and judged the WARMACHINE/HORDES tournament. Each player that participated received one paint set for free just for playing in the tournament.

You probably understand how much I wanted to be a player by then and not the judge ;)

Yeah, the reason they remind of citadel paints...is because it's the same mind behind them! Mike though is taking them a slightly different direction and some of the qualities have changed (improved imo), but it's still similar. Which is great for me, since I learned on all GW paints and it's what I like.

:tj:

Well, I currently only have a small mix of Vallejo MC and Reaper MS and I definitely prefer the Reaper, less paint seperation and less nozzle clogging.

Anybody know the best place to buy online so I can increase my color selection without breaking the bank? Any recommendations?

-Duende (secret member of the Dropper Bottle Lovers Faction)

:D

This just goes to show that there's no ultimate paint brand! I know Mike McVey set out to produce just that with the P3 brand, but it's simply the ultimate brand if you use similar techniques as he does. I understand the points people make against Vallejo Model Colors and I am bothered about some of it too, but I find these downsides lesser than those of the other brands I have tried when viewed from MY perspectives. Other people may very well come to other conclusions from their perspectives.

Everyone should try out different brands and decide what suits them best.

Also, I often don't understand when people criticise Vallejo if they refer to Game or Model colors, or both, since people often just say "Vallejos". Those lines are quite different and I like Model Colors and dislike Game Colors (with a few exceptions...).

Well iv been directed to this one on CMoN: http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/index.php?cName=paints-glues-etc-paint-sets-vallejo

Seems a good un, the model colour set for £100 with P&P.

Im getting this for xmas so itl be easier for Laura to just buy a big set instead of individual paints or smaller sets. Plus il get a nice big case so i can take all my paints out of my GW carrying case!

yeah, I've just tried game color, I wasn't specific. I haven't touched a model color. I do hate dropper bottles though, hate them a lot!
And of course, I transfered all of the paints I had in pots to droppers. :-p

Now I'm almost exclusively using RMS paints. I still have my bottle of Vallejo Smoke that I use religiously.

The pigment seems to like to clump together, but keeping it mixed in the palette helps. I usually thin the Smoke quite a bit, and don't apply a whole lot to the figure. I don't really use it as a wash, but more for tinting.

If it dries funky (which it sometimes does), I'll go back over it with a glaze of whatever color I had under the Smoke.