Gd 2007

DrEvilmonki

Last year I said I would enter multiple catergories in GD, put in the effort and really try and push myself. Instead 3 weeks before the entry cutoff I got a lotr Troll and painted that.

This year I want to enter multiple catergories, put the effort in and really try to push myself! :bird:

So I figure better get started. As long as no one minds I am going to use WYRD as a sort of log book, putting up WIP shots and I hope the people here will help me by pointing out how crap my stuff is and suggesting I give up the hobby altogeather! Really critique would be really helpful.

What I have planned is...

40K unit - Orc Kommandos

40K single - SM Chaplain

40K large - Eldar Wraithlord (and here I want to try my conversion work extensively - so could be a complete balls up)

Fantasy single - Dryad special character.

If I have time after those I may try a duel as I have an image in mind.

Ok enough wordy stuff. I have started the Sargent for my Kommandos. I can see a couple of areas I need to tidy (the teeth and eyes). His bottom lip will be getting some glaze treatment to give it a slight blue/purple look.

I was also thinking of putting some extra colour into the recesses in his skin - maybe some blue in the cheeks and some red around the eyes and nose?

Any suggestions?

headfront.jpg

cigar.jpg

Very cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with and I'm sure you'll get some critique, especially if you ask for the no holds barred bit as there are a few GD freaks around here and a few trophy winners as well if I recall correctly.

Loving the Kommando so far and frankly its above my level of painting already even without the glazes, etc. so I'm suitably impressed. I don't know for sure how the judges or even public go for Orks, but I always get a tickle out of them as there is just something so interesting and compelling about them. Maybe do something interesting with them along the lines of what ... Victoria ... ermm .. damnit what is her last name .. I know it ...

Anyhoo, on CMON you'll find a GD entry of an Ork Mob that was just hillarious as they were duking it out and fighting with the boss slapping his head in aggrivation. I'm sure Duende would remember the thing right off the bat as she seems to know the whole site over there.

Not big on the Eldar anything to be honest, but that's just a personal preference as Eric himself is all hot and bothered about that thing as well which is likely a good point.

Me, I'm always itching to see a Sister Repentia done rather well myself or something with a big ol' creature in it that allows for a lot of canvas work on it in the way of scales or the like.

Post them, I'll critique the buggers. :D

The problem with sisters is basically that it's the weakest selling army, so doesn't, in their eyes, deserve White Dwarf space unless it's something special...and thus does not win very much. Space marines have a big advantage, as well as anything that's relatively new.

Of course this varries by the judges that happen to be on hand that day, but in general I think this holds basically true. Thus Eldar should have a bit of an edge.

Looks great so far! I'll be happy to post my (less than) 2 cents along the way.

The face is very well contrasted at this point. The close ups allow for the suggestion to smooth some of the transitions (particularly of the highlights), but at a regular distance, they may be non existant. The bluish tinge I think will look good on the lips.

Victoria Lamb is who you are thinking of, Nathan--one of Australia's best, IMHO.

Loving the Kommando so far and frankly its above my level of painting already even without the glazes, etc. so I'm suitably impressed. I don't know for sure how the judges or even public go for Orks, but I always get a tickle out of them as there is just something so interesting and compelling about them. Maybe do something interesting with them along the lines of what ... Victoria ... ermm .. damnit what is her last name .. I know it ...

Victoria Lamb (sorry Jabberwocky, I missed you post :P) :

http://www.coolminiornot.com/11028

The ork head looks good but the ash bit might need more grey (then black). Also, you might want to add extra subtle colors to his face for nuances. For example pink or purple around his nose, cheeks, or lips.

Just an off question : when was the last time a space marine won the slayer sword ;)? Paint what pleases you. If technicaly it's flawless, and it tells a story, people will remember it no matter what the mini, and that's the difference that must be made to get the judges attention when they browse hundreds of minis all day long ... well that's my opinion on GD judging ;).

We are somewhat restricted in what we are allowed to do in GD OZ. No scenic bases at all for squads so it makes it hard to have them interacting with each other.

I am converting the sargent at the very least. I haven't given much thought to the rest as of yet, some will be convertible but they are all one piece metal figures so it would be hard to modify them to much without major work.

I have chopped off the sargent regular claw hand and grafted on a SM dreadnaught choppy claw thing. I have greenstuffed the various pipes so they will look like they go into his flesh (and will paint the joins all red and enflamed).

body1.jpg

Not much actual painting time these evening but I did go back and smooth out his teeth, cheek and top lip, the blueish look to his bottom lip, the red around his nose and eyes (the nose needs more work I think) and ears (can't see the inside of the ears from the angel below), did the lens on his googles and base coated the various piercings and the metal on the googles. I will probably try my hand at full scale NMM on this unit so I expect I wont be finished any time soon! Oh plus I added a bit of grey on the end of his cigar (thanks greenstuff I was wondering about that)

headfront2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is a quick picture as it is late and I am sweepy. The colours a re a bit out but you should hopefully see what I have done. - T-shirt is grey belts are done, buckles are done, bullets are almost finished and a bit of gore added to the bionic hand.

I am going to glue the head on soon since I have finished off the bits that it was in the way for.

sargent.jpg

Alright, this may sound fake DrEvil but it's true. There was a huge wind/rain storm and I lost internet access for one and a half-days, and I came on as soon as I could!

As for the mini..

Looking like a winner! The yellow goggles, the rusted/oxidized/nmm all look simply amazing; you have really improved, even since your cave troll!

My only suggestion would be to give the skin more definition.

Cheers,

Ainu

Alright, this may sound fake DrEvil but it's true. There was a huge wind/rain storm and I lost internet access for one and a half-days, and I came on as soon as I could!

As for the mini..

Looking like a winner! The yellow goggles, the rusted/oxidized/nmm all look simply amazing; you have really improved, even since your cave troll!

My only suggestion would be to give the skin more definition.

Cheers,

Ainu

Hey I managed to get a newbie to sign up! :wavey:

Thanks for commenting. I have been giving some thought to the skin ever since seeing Automaton's GD entry. Not sure exactly what I am going to do but will keep you posted.

Currently working on the power claw and yellow it be!