The Chick Challenge email

EricJ

Ouch, well that buggers, sorry to hear about it. I was actually setting up for the next Wyrd Painting Contest but one of the things I've been holding off on and changing around the themes for was Chick Challenge and not trying to compete (not quite the right word, but ya'll know what I mean) with such a large and well established contest.

Maybe something will come up with it here soon - if not, well, then I suppose I'll continue to plan accordingly.

Well he didn't say he was going to cancel Chick Challenge for good and he hadn't made a final decision about skipping it next year so there's still a chance. But I can see how it would be a daunting task to organise it, especially as he hasn't been really into the painting thing for quite some time.

It would be a sad thing if it was cancelled, especially since I've bought some prospective entries already. But, then there's room for a replacement competition... :idea:

in between opt out stuff, and talk about the mini sculpting comp, he wrote

"I really have my doubts that I'll have a Chick Challenge this year. I've not picked up a brush in months, and some personal things in my life are making me a bit unmotivated in many areas at the moment. It's possible that I'll start something after Christmas, but we'll see."

When I read the email, it was a sad moment. However, it really seems that he is at an indecisive moment. It is true that the approaching holiday season does have an effect on people whose lives have issues. Seems to make it worse. Hopefully, he will be more optimistic after the new year starts and we can look forward to another contest. Anyway, my good wishes are with Jason.

I've never participated in it, but it did look interesting. The only thing I didn't like is that all the prizes were completely random instead of those that win the contest getting atleast something, even if it was really small.

He may still do it though, seems to teeter-totter on that from year to year.

If not, Double F can always pick up the slack! I think the Wyrd Painting Contests are going very well.

I'm totally the other way. The fact that the prizes are random is one of the reasons I look forward to the Chick Challenge.

I have to say, looking back on it, that the Chick Challenge was key to getting me back into painting after a hiatus of a few years after college. I'm pretty sure CCIII was my first painting competition.

yeah, I like the random prizes, although I have to admit that I think Nathan's method is better, where it is both placement prizes and random...

I also really like this competition, it just has a great feel to it. And the fact you compete against so many top painters gives it something most other online competitions lack...In others there may be a few entries of world class minis, which when browsing the galleries, if you run across one, you figure it'll win something, even before seeing all the rest... No so in CC. Each catagory may end up with 10+ awesome entries and you really have to look through them all, before you can start to guess who'll win, or who to vote for...

I wish there was something we could do to help make it happen...

I have to say, looking back on it, that the Chick Challenge was key to getting me back into painting after a hiatus of a few years after college. I'm pretty sure CCIII was my first painting competition.

Chick challenge was my first painting competition ever also! CCV

If not, Double F can always pick up the slack! I think the Wyrd Painting Contests are going very well.

I've never taken part of the Chick Challenges...heck I wouldn't even know where to look to find them...

But, I agree with this statement...with the uber cool prizes that FF comes up with, the great themes, the cool painters...maybe the Wyrd contest can slip right in as everybodies on-line favorite! I know its mine.

I was thinking that the Wyrd contest was for "amateurs" only - no GD winners allowed. However, looking at the rules I don't see that. Can someone tell me where I read such a rule? Am I missing out on a contest I could enter?

Hmm...I remember no such clause. If anything, I think Nathan would want to ENCOURAGE GD winners...

BTW are you telling us you are a GD winner?

@artshiraz...thanks for the linkage! How could I have missed that fine site for so long?

yeah, I never seen anything here against GD winners. The only contest I did see that on was Rune Kapel's (where you couldn't enter if you've won a demon or in the top 100 on cmon).

I don't know if Nathan wants a project the size of Chick Challenge...lol 500 images takes a bit of time! I could be wrong, he is fairly crazy.

Heh, to be honest, I would love to see the Wyrd contests get that size or larger - mainly due to the fact that the software will take care of MOST of the work, but also due to the fact that I've got a couple of top notch moderators that I suckered ... erm ... talked ... into helping out with the future contests. Maya was a big help in getting things finished up there at the end of the last contest.

Speaking of contests, I'm starting to get that itch again and run another one and will be setting one up here in the near future. Does anyone have the e-mail of Mr. Chick Challenge himself so I can shoot off an e-mail to find out if the rumors above are true or not?

I ask as I don't want to step on toes, or go head on head with a popular contest running at the same time and want to make certain things are at 'peek' for the next Wyrd Painting Contest.