All Hallows Eve

Do you celebrate Halloween or some form of it? I find more and more these days that people are just ignoring it, or are too scared to let their kids out because of 'nasty' stuff out there, but I find it one of the more enjoyable holidays I must admit, though that being said, I'm so busy this year that I hardly have time to decorate properly.

Do you carve pumpkins, decorate the house, do anything silly? Let me know, and better yet, if you have pictures, post them! I've got a ton that I'll be posting later on the kids dressing up, carving pumpkins and the house all done up.

Last year we had the best block I think - two haunted houses, music blaring up and down the street and just about every house done up scary. Our house was one of the wilder ones I have to admit, and I ended up having to apologize to one kid and his family and hosing piss off my sidewalk from another girl who simply pissed herself, dropped her candy and headed for the hills (heh - that was great, and she was about 13-14 I would guess).

Post pictures, favorite links, interesting games and activities to do - I'm in the Halloween spirit and need an outlet!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(laughing)

Last year we had a blast, the whole house was practically covered in spider webs, blacklights flickering on and off, causing the house to flash, flying skeletons, screaching giant bat (about as big as me) on a string, hanging skeletons, large blow up decorations and three fog machines that made the whole yard just disapear and around the door it came up about two feet (making the little ones practically invisible.

Anyhow, had it setup so that we had a couple of large scary 'dolls' around the door, one of them being my father proped up on a bench looking like a troll. I would keep an eye out the window as people started to come up and would open the door, smiling brightly and looking very 'friendly' as everyone started to go towards the troll thinking it was someone dressed up and they would get their candy from him. When I opened the door, you usually saw relief on someones face or they immediately dismissed the sitting 'troll'.

I would make everyone say 'trick or treat', hand out the candy, and as they were starting to leave, my father would lunge at them, grab them, or in some cases just tickle their cheeks a little bit with one of his clawed hands. This normally got someone screaming or running while parents watched and laughed.

The first real 'problem' we had was a 10 year old boy (he might have been younger, but he was big - and fat - so he looked older). He came up really 'scared' and I had to more or less entice him to come all the way to the door while mom and dad watched, telling him it was alright (and knowing the whole time something was going to happen). He got up to the door, stuttered out thank you for his candy and no sooner than my father jumped up and growled the kid screamed like a cat being run over, threw his candy into the air, took two steps and feel down on the ground in a fetal position, screaming over and over and over. I tried to calm him down, my dad took off his mask to tell him it was 'alright' and the boy just went apeshit. It took a very embarased mom and dad to pick his butt up and cart him away, leaving candy all over the place.

I laughed for about half an hour over that.

Later in the night we when things were thinning out and the teenagers were making the rounds, this one girl didn't want to come to the door with her friends and I made a sign for my dad to be still. One of the girls poked him a couple of times and told her friend it was just a 'dummy' and not to worry about it. I gave them all 'King Size Snickers' in order to drag her friend in when she saw what I was giving out. Her friends started to walk away and she came up by herself all shy like and I gave her a candy bar and thats when my dad did his routine. She screached right into my ear, whopped my dad over the head with her bag and took off running. It was then that we noticed the puddle and the trail leading away from the door and the strong odor of piss.

My dad was laughing so hard he had to come inside for ten minutes while I hosed off the patio and the sidewalk. Needless to say, that was certainly a highlight of the night.

Then of course, I had to laugh my arse off when a few mexican ladies were out running around with the kids, dressed to kill (meaning, showing a lot of flesh) and they thought it was cute and wanted to take pictures with my dad. One 'might' have been legal, the other was easily thirty, and they both sat there and ground their asses into my fathers lap like regular pole dancers, from where I was standing one clearly didn't have underwear on where her very short skirt rode up over her backside as she made certain I got a good look (sue me, I was looking).

My father needed a drink after they left laughing, having gotten their other friend to take pictures.

Needless to say, my father enjoyed the hell out of it, and it was his birthday as well (born on Halloween).

One of my coworkers told me that last year they missed trick-or-treating because they were traveling so the next night they let their kids tot in the house.

The kids (2 girls under the age of 6) put on their costumes and would knock on the door of a room in the house and one parent would answer in some sort of costume - or as a puppet or whatever - and play act a bit and give candy. Then the kids would go to another door and the other parent would be there doing similar. The kids kept going door to door while the parents took turns entertaining/giving candy and running to another room to change character and await the next bunch. Sounded like great fun.

our kids' school has been doing what they call "Trunk or Treat" for a few years now.

Everyone parks at the school on a given night, decorates the trunks with spooky stuff, and hands out candy to the trick or treaters as they make their way from car to car.

Sounds corny, but it is alot of fun. Meanwhile in the gymnasium, there is a Halloween party for the older kids, and down the hall, teachers read scary stories by flashlight. A very cool event.

Lol halloween ROCKS! I go over to my friends house, they have a very busy neighborhood, so we get allot of people coming to the house. Anyway this is basicly how its set up, The house has a twisting trail leading to the front of the house, and there is allot of bushes and shrubs hedging it in, so i give that all a good blast with my cobwebber. Chuck down a few colors lights, mainly blue. Put a few collumns at the entry way. Get the fogger running. Get "midnight syndicat" blasting over the surround sound. Then have me and my friends stand allong the path standing real still till peeps come and look real close at you or say something about you being just a dummy. Then naturaly you jump or swing your sword or something. My costume consists of black robes, this kickass metal looking mask that has red LED's just above the eyes, which makes it impossible for someone to look into your face. And then my big old broad sword to add realizm. I think the best scare ive gotten was a pretty good sized little group of 5-8 year olds coming up to the door. And they way i had it set up they come walking up and cant really see anything because the entry way is full of fog, and im just standing there in the fog, sword point down, and i was reaching out, ready with the candy. Well i have these creepy looking gauntlets so it was a little intimidating i guess. Anyhow i had this thunder soundtrack on a loop and it was inbetween loops when they came up, so of course the second they reach my "BAAAM" the things goes off and the strobes hit me, which cuts through the fog and illuminates me reaching out with a sword in my free hand, and this mask with glowing eyes. Kids in the front scream and just book it, in the proccess tripping over the kids behind them and making quite a mess lol.

Let me see if i can get a few pics for you.

Napoleon dynamite, carved this, this evening,

napunk002final8cs.jpg

Gollem, last years punkin

gollem.jpg

My eyes when glowing,

12122003nz.jpg

Better pic of my costume

12222035fo.jpg

Ill get more pics this year.

My Danish-American kids think Halloween rocks! Got a package from my mom yesterday with Halloween candy, artificail spiderweb, plastic bats, the works! We're gonna decorate the apartment, carve pumpkins and do trick-or-treating in our building...alot of the other couple living here have kids too.

Halloween is my fave. :peace:

I loved halloween when I was in the Us.

In france we used to have qui t a number of people doing it in the neigborhood, but the past two years less people have been doing it. And this year it seems even the stores have skiped halloween to go straight on to christmas. The other day I was going to the supermarcket and they had the christams chocolats out and the countdown calendars on sale :AR15firin

greetings

humm... do we celebrate Halloween?

The answer is... yes. Though not so thorough as over the pond, like you do in the states. The influence has grown from basically carving out pumpkins (and doing nothing more) to whole platoons of halloween-parties and truckloads of costumes to buy. Yes, the merchandasing industry has found Europe :approve:

Last year we had a blast, the whole house was practically covered in spider webs, blacklights flickering on and off, causing the house to flash, flying skeletons, screaching giant bat (about as big as me) on a string, hanging skeletons, large blow up decorations and three fog machines that made the whole yard just disapear and around the door it came up about two feet (making the little ones practically invisible.

Nathan... I bow in front of the idea(s) and the execution. I imagine the whole and think it might be quite a sight.

You try something like this here though you immediately got a couple of problems.

#1 The "friendly" neighbor down the road. (S)He goggles out of the window and immediately looks into his/her copy of lawtexts. Is such a thing as flashing lights permited? Has the police to be called?

#2 If you happen to live in the "flying-in" zone of the nearest airport chances are high you DO have to ask before you can "light-up" your house. You don't ask permit, fat chance the cops are coming and you get a fee... for disturbance of normal flight activity. (A lightened house, flashing and smoking might distract the pilots from the "beacons")

#3 The friendly neighbor from #1 spots the flickering lights and the abundance of smoke. Next you'll hear the sirens of the firefighter watch.

#4 -And that is the most important reason- Energy is much more a cost factor here than over at your side of the great pond. Each year I cough when I get the remainder bill for the last months of the previous year. Christmas illustrations do look good..... but boy are the a costly factor. :(

This year though I bought a little ceramic pumpkin with a small LED fog machine. It looks interesting as the LED is colorswitching. Looks great when its dark outside. Unfortunately as current/energy is a rather costly thing the pumpkin is only hooked for two hours a day. But it will run the whole Halloween evening, when my kids are out.... and all the other kids coming for sweets. :dancing2: :thumb:

:wavey:

I’m with Drake Farstrider.....We combine the Halloween and Samhain. The kids get dressed up and go to Halloween parities, we pass out candy to trick or treaters until 9:00 pm, but as my neighborhood is mostly older people, if we get 30 kids at the door we’re doing good.

I always make a special dinner for the Samhain, New Year...going to be stuffed pork chops with apples and mashed taters, a side of creamed peas, buttered rolls. Cupcakes for the sweet. Then I light the candles and will do some meditating this year.

In 1992 my wife and I spent a half year travelling in Southeast Asia, doing the backpacking deathroute from INdonesia up through Malaysia and Thailand, flying to Nepal and ending in India.

The 31st of October found us in a small mountain village on the Annapurna trek, perhaps the village was Chamje or Jagat, I forget. The village was very small, just a number of buildings on either side of the path leading up and around the mountain. To one side the mountain rose steeply, to the other side a sharp drop, no more than 10-15 buildings all in all.

There were a number of other Americans and Canadians in the loose group we were trekking with. It suddenly hit me that it was Halloween! And, to my great suprise, there was a pumpkin standing on the doorstep of the teahouse where we were sitting!

The woman wouldn't sell the pumpkin, it was destined to become soup for dinner that evening. Another of the local women pulled me aside and motioned that I should follow. She lead me up a path slightly away from the village, pulled a ring of rusty keys from he belt and opened a rickety wooden door set back in a stone drywall -- inside, a pumpkin patch! I chose one (not the biggest, I was buying their food!) and bartered (not too hard), took my prize back to the teahouse and began carving a jack o'lantern.

The locals were amazed, they'd never seen anything like it. One of the Nepali guides explained to the locals our tradition of the jack o'lantern keeping the wandering spirits at bay on All Hallow's Eve. One of the locals asked through the guide if we thought the spirits could find their way here. Ehhh...no, we replied.

The oldest and most decrepite woman in the village came up, scrutinized the pumpkin with her good eye and mummbled some words to the guide. "She says, tonight, man, tomorrow, soup!" he translated. We laughed, ate our dinner, enjoyed the evening and went to bed.

The next morning, the jack o'lantern was gone. We had pumpkin soup for breakfast.

greetings

yesterday I had ...a ghost, ...a witch and ...a devil in my car ...lol. The kids looked great (ha...I did a good job in the makeup area).

Friends invited us so the kids could walk together ...and suddenly there where eleven kids running around, ranging the bells on each door from the block.

My wife (who unfortunately had to work and couldn't join us) told me later there had been close to no activity at all after she came home. The doorbell rang once (two girls)... and the basket full of sweets.... well there's still the birthday of the twins to come :thumb:

Hope you all had a nice day/evening yesterday.