Through the brush, walk action.

Pallas4

Question

Ok I asked on some Discords and I get different interpretations. So...

image.png.dd6de9520e53aa50d2de7b81693926b0.png

image.thumb.png.12071f2022f38ad254df6827cd50fbf6.png

Can we leave engagment with this ability?

Someone say no because the Place is part of the move of walk action.

others say yes, because it's just the “moves up to its Movement” that prohibits leaving an engagement zone, not the ability, which is a different movement.

it's difficulte.. a gray zone of the rules.

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Pallas4 said:

Ok I asked on some Discords and I get different interpretations. So...

image.png.dd6de9520e53aa50d2de7b81693926b0.png

image.thumb.png.12071f2022f38ad254df6827cd50fbf6.png

Can we leave engagment with this ability?

Someone say no because the Place is part of the move of walk action.

others say yes, because it's just the “moves up to its Movement” that prohibits leaving an engagement zone, not the ability, which is a different movement.

it's difficulte.. a gray zone of the rules.

My view - The ability could leave engagement, unless you use the ability during a walk action, when it can't. The place occurs during the movement of the walk action, so I would treat it as part of the actions movement, and so you can't use the movement to leave the engagement range. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Adran said:

My view - The ability could leave engagement, unless you use the ability during a walk action, when it can't. The place occurs during the movement of the walk action, so I would treat it as part of the actions movement, and so you can't use the movement to leave the engagement range. 

Why would you treat the movement as part of the walk action? The movement is from Through the Brush. Through the brush using the phrase "continues its movement" is even spelling out a separation between whatever movement caused it and it's own movement effect.

1 hour ago, santaclaws01 said:

Why would you treat the movement as part of the walk action? The movement is from Through the Brush. Through the brush using the phrase "continues its movement" is even spelling out a separation between whatever movement caused it and it's own movement effect.

Because the movement occurs during the action. In a similar manner I wouldn't expect it to trigger hazardous twice if the severe terrain was also hazardous. The fact it  says that the model continues its movement told me it happens during the movement part of the walk.

The most similar thing I can think of is falling, and I would also say a model couldn't walk to a position that would allow it to fall out of a models engagement range. 

1 minute ago, Adran said:

Because the movement occurs during the action. In a similar manner I wouldn't expect it to trigger hazardous twice if the severe terrain was also hazardous.

Those are two completely different clauses. The rule is "This move cannot be used to leave the 
engagement range of models engaging this model." There is no mention within the walk action rule of it being a restriction based on timing, it is just a restriction of the move that the walk action generates. Through the Brush is not "this move".

Malifaux does have nestled effects. If I walk into severe to allow me to leave engagement before I have finished my walk movement then it is easy to argue my movement was used to allow me to leave engagement.  

51 minutes ago, Adran said:

Malifaux does have nestled effects. If I walk into severe to allow me to leave engagement before I have finished my walk movement then it is easy to argue my movement was used to allow me to leave engagement.  

Except the move in the walk action is just the model moving up to its Mv stat. Through the Brush is a completely different move. You're expanding the restriction beyond what the rule says is restricted.

The movement of the Walk action is restricted that it cannot leave a model's engagement range.

The movement effect of Through the Brush isn't the move generated by the Walk action, and thus isn't subject to that limitation.  Compare to something like Flight, where the movement generated by Walk is changed to something else.