2023 Monthly painting challenge - September

Hawkoon

Hello again. I'm late as usual, and running out of excuses for being so. Anyway...

Summer is over, days are getting darker and colder, perfect excuse for spending more time inside painting more miniatures!

As I gave a sneak preview of at the end of last month, my local gaming club started up an escalation league, so I'll be painting up more swampfiends the coming month. Next up is Zoraida herself with her totem (or toadem, in my case).

So for this months question; what's going on in your communities this fall? And what will you be painting?

• Like 2

So my first model of the month isn't Malifaux. Instead it's this guy, the Crimson Crocodile... who despite his name is meant to be pale and fleshy.

frSSg9c.jpgYLPRryU.jpgXloucja.jpg

Haven't decided what Faux models to paint up this month, maybe some Swampfiends? I've got an alt Zoraida and Kurgan sitting basecoated as well as a converted Stmupy and some Gators. Not sure how many points I'll be doing this month though with the boardgame components to paint up.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TimH said:

So my first model of the month isn't Malifaux. Instead it's this guy, the Crimson Crocodile... who despite his name is meant to be pale and fleshy.

frSSg9c.jpgYLPRryU.jpgXloucja.jpg

Haven't decided what Faux models to paint up this month, maybe some Swampfiends? I've got an alt Zoraida and Kurgan sitting basecoated as well as a converted Stmupy and some Gators. Not sure how many points I'll be doing this month though with the boardgame components to paint up.

That's a quite disturbing model... Are those fingers down his neck?

Anyway, you're more than welcome to join me in the swamps😉 Love the rotten harvest alternatives 😍

14 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

That's a quite disturbing model... Are those fingers down his neck?

Anyway, you're more than welcome to join me in the swamps😉 Love the rotten harvest alternatives 😍

They are indeed fingers. It has creepy little human ears too. Wont be posting much of the stuff I paint from the set, in part because some of them have bits and pieces that wouldn't be appropriate and cause the focus of the challenge is Malifaux.

September is going to be challenging for me - I'll be on vacation a little more than a week from now, and until then, work will remain quite hellish, and I also have to do my taxes this weekend. So if I'm lucky, I have a realistic chance to get one mini done, so it will have to be a master. Top options are Tara 2, Viks 2, Colette 2 and Parker (1 or 2, both are primed and ready). Any suggestions or thoughts? :D 

Some of the minis I'll manage to paint this month :) 3 Corrupted Hounds and the Blood Hunter^^

They were my first attempt at slapchop ever, and turned out quite good for the time I spent on them (approx 2h for the 3 doggos, and about 1.5h for the totem, painting the bases included). Not that much of a fan of this technic, but I admit it can be a breezer when in need of your painting shoot and don't have much time to spend on "lesser" minis xD

Hopefully I'll still find time to finish Lelu and Lilitu, and maybe even start Nekima (though that is quite unsure xD).

IMG_20230903_182240.jpg

IMG_20230906_225428.jpg

IMG_20230906_225450.jpg

IMG_20230906_225516.jpg

IMG_20230906_225539.jpg

• Like 6

@Gheist awesome band! I admire your commitment to WRITE in all the pages 🫡

This month I kept working on the Foundry KW (and next month too), this time was Mei Feng's turn, and her totem:

OpUlwsB.jpgEp0lFor.jpg

I changed her base, bc I love the dynamic posture, but red bricks and metal to me suits more the foundry vibe than wood (the breaking wood sculpt is amazing and I might rebase Ototo with it... 🤔 )

Also bc she's as cool as one can be, she deserved an extra pic with more ambient around ^^

i9u4nUq.jpg

• Like 9

I have finally finished a project that I've been working on for a few months on and off with my kids. 

large.20230923_213543.jpg.64b88b5b0d473246615367ad367550e9.jpglarge.20230923_213750.jpg.c30d82d6ecda5a1d34a50feebacd8944.jpg

We've made a new board which we'll enter into the "best board" part of the painting competition at UK nationals! 

So proud of my kids for helping at every stage with this one. They most enjoyed drilling the holes out of the tree bases, applying the snow to the trees and arranging lots of bones in patterns around the stone altar.

I learnt how to make homemade snow for this one, which I much prefer to the out of the bottle stuff and is a fraction of the price!

• Like 8

Finished Nekima last night. For once, happy with the work I pulled off. Even gave a try at nmm (first time ever) for the upward edge of the blade. Wasn't easy at all to say the least 😅

Next in line, last doggo and Nekima2. Moving to the new house in the first days of november, so hopefully I'll manage to finish her up and might even be able to do the Noxious Nephilim ^^ fingers crossed :D

IMG_20230923_212013.jpg

IMG_20230923_212043.jpg

IMG_20230923_212107.jpg

• Like 5

This month is short on time for me so I have done my pledge level as minimum requirement 16cc: Serena Bowman and Vasilisa.

Still not sure if I would have time for next month to do both pledge and participate on painting contest(+vacation) ... So might be taken muligan on next month😔

large.20230924_212251.jpg.9fdd14b28e2527516662104ab6bf9905.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/24/2023 at 7:50 PM, MestreGuilderius said:

Finished Nekima last night. For once, happy with the work I pulled off. Even gave a try at nmm (first time ever) for the upward edge of the blade. Wasn't easy at all to say the least 😅

Next in line, last doggo and Nekima2. Moving to the new house in the first days of november, so hopefully I'll manage to finish her up and might even be able to do the Noxious Nephilim ^^ fingers crossed :D

IMG_20230923_212013.jpg

IMG_20230923_212043.jpg

IMG_20230923_212107.jpg

Amazing job in the whole mini, but the sword and the red on the tail are unreal ❤️

@TimHThat thing is freaky! despite not being Faux it still fits the theme of Zoraida and the Swampfiends! You've captured the fleshy look nicely!

@Hawkoon Zoraida and the Toad look great. I love that totem so much - one of my favourite Malifaux models.

@MestreGuilderius Amazing work this month - the red on Nekima is absolutely masterful

@Gheist Your Linh Ly crew looks amazing. such a variety of models calls for a really vibrant scheme like you've chosen. You've packed so much into these models in terms of little details - spent ages looking at them this morning.

@Diddick I've really enjoyed seeing your Foundry models come together - I think your forgeling is the best i've seen. Likewise for Mei - the subtle changes you've made to the base really set her off, bringing in a little colour on the bricks was a great choice. THe background you've created there is amazing as well!

@Trimasel Nice work on these two. I particularly like the green you've achieved on Serena's dress!

• Thanks 5

large.20230924_230226.jpg.0bcee2eae1022356e2dd34bfd1bec03b.jpg

Not a Faux model, but one i will be using in my games for now as a proxy for the Hodgepodge Emissary as I can't get hold of one for love nor money at the moment. Was nevertheless fun to paint and i felt like I nailed the simple basing scheme for my Outcast versatiles. Don;t know if it can count towards my monthly total but i thought i'd post it here anyway.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

@Hawkoon Zoraida and the Toad look great. I love that totem so much - one of my favourite Malifaux models.

I like the sculpt of the toad too, but I'm not that happy with the material. I don't really know what I dislike about it, but the paintjobs tend to end up more dull than the regular plastic models. Still a fun model to paint though😄

Love your alt emmy. It might not be Wyrd, but it certainly fits the role. And that base looks fantastic! Cork with cracklepaint?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

I like the sculpt of the toad too, but I'm not that happy with the material. I don't really know what I dislike about it, but the paintjobs tend to end up more dull than the regular plastic models. Still a fun model to paint though😄

Love your alt emmy. It might not be Wyrd, but it certainly fits the role. And that base looks fantastic! Cork with cracklepaint?

Oh yea that stuff can be wierd - I didn't know the alt zoraida crew was made of it. I don't think yours looks dull at all though.

Just crackle paint and Cork for that base. There is also a little cactus behind the rock which you can't see ☺️

• Like 1