It's always time for Tara

Azahul

Great read! Thank. I never played Tara but she seems to be really nice (and asked for a high level of mastery).

Round 4 is definitely the killy round of the tournament. I wonder if you'll stick with her (you don't have to answer that)?

Wedge / turf - assassinate vendetta claim jump death bed research mission.

This is probably Leveticus wet dream...

That's pretty similar to my experience of Tara. I like Timeless better (minus the kidnap) but I think she's generally not as powerful. 

Big difference is that I'll often hire one or two Hunters and I never seem to get value out of Aionus. Or maybe I just don't appreciate the value I get from him because it all feels marginal. Idk.

But yeah, Obliteration is extremely good. Best keyword in Outcasts. Please nerf the kidnap so I don't feel bad playing this. :P

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Did I miss your lists? If not, you should post them!

I did say my lists were "all the non-Minions, 9 stones" and "that list but swap the Scion for two Wretches", but if you want it laid out clearer than that:

Round One

Lunch Time (Outcasts)

Size: 50 - Pool: 9

Leader:

Tara

Totem(s):

Karina

Hires:

Scion of the Void

Aionus

Talos

The Nothing Beast

Thirty-Three

References:

Void Wretch

Void Hunter

The Endless Void

Rounds Two and Three

Time Is An Illusion (Outcasts)

Size: 50 - Pool: 7

Leader:

Tara

Totem(s):

Karina

Hires:

Aionus

Talos

Thirty-Three

The Nothing Beast

Void Wretch

Void Wretch 2

References:

Void Wretch

Void Hunter

The Endless Void

7 hours ago, SEV said:

Great read! Thank. I never played Tara but she seems to be really nice (and asked for a high level of mastery).

Round 4 is definitely the killy round of the tournament. I wonder if you'll stick with her (you don't have to answer that)?

Honestly even this, a super killy pool, isn't bad for Tara. She can play a more schemey game for the Strategy, score Vendetta trivially with the Scion, and just bury enemy models near the centre to score Claim Jump (then keep the Claim Jumper buried until Turn 5). Her options are a bit limited without easy marker generation but she has a play.

8 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

That's pretty similar to my experience of Tara. I like Timeless better (minus the kidnap) but I think she's generally not as powerful. 

Big difference is that I'll often hire one or two Hunters and I never seem to get value out of Aionus. Or maybe I just don't appreciate the value I get from him because it all feels marginal. Idk.

But yeah, Obliteration is extremely good. Best keyword in Outcasts. Please nerf the kidnap so I don't feel bad playing this. :P

This does actually make a lot of sense. Aionus is a lot more important to Tara1 than 2 in my view, and you can't summon Void Hunters in 2, and of course in a pinch you can even have a Void Hunter do Aionus's role of unburying a model, so they have a lot more reasons to be taken with our Rewind friend. I can see the logic. 

With Tara1 he just does too much for me to pass up. He guarantees that I have 3-4 activations at the end of every turn that the opponent can't respond to. Just as importantly, he gets my models on the board without needing to win opposed duels with enemy models. The mobility of Obliteration as a Keyword is basically unsurpassed but it has its limitations, namely that you can usually only get models on the board where both you and your opponent already have models. Aionus lets you have a presence anywhere he is, massively increasing your flexibility, and he can run around while giving Fast to friendly buried models so his AP always feel efficient to me. Not as impactful in the traditional ways for a Cost 10 model, but an amazing lynchpin for Obliteration's unique mechanics.

15 hours ago, Azahul said:

This does actually make a lot of sense. Aionus is a lot more important to Tara1 than 2 in my view, and you can't summon Void Hunters in 2, and of course in a pinch you can even have a Void Hunter do Aionus's role of unburying a model, so they have a lot more reasons to be taken with our Rewind friend. I can see the logic. 

With Tara1 he just does too much for me to pass up. He guarantees that I have 3-4 activations at the end of every turn that the opponent can't respond to. Just as importantly, he gets my models on the board without needing to win opposed duels with enemy models. The mobility of Obliteration as a Keyword is basically unsurpassed but it has its limitations, namely that you can usually only get models on the board where both you and your opponent already have models. Aionus lets you have a presence anywhere he is, massively increasing your flexibility, and he can run around while giving Fast to friendly buried models so his AP always feel efficient to me. Not as impactful in the traditional ways for a Cost 10 model, but an amazing lynchpin for Obliteration's unique mechanics.

I actually like him better in Tara2 😛

33 probably changes the equation a bit but he's just so resource intensive. I've liked a pair of Hunters for Glimpse built in, access to positives, and a TN-less unbury.

I guess that's basically Obliterations big leveling factor though, everybody needs tns and suits, no one generates resources, and there are (basically) no tactical actions in the crew. And their mobility is all tempo-locked.

7 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I actually like him better in Tara2 😛

33 probably changes the equation a bit but he's just so resource intensive. I've liked a pair of Hunters for Glimpse built in, access to positives, and a TN-less unbury.

I guess that's basically Obliterations big leveling factor though, everybody needs tns and suits, no one generates resources, and there are (basically) no tactical actions in the crew. And their mobility is all tempo-locked.

That's fascinatingly inverted. I usually find on any given turn I only need a little help getting everything unburied. I'd have assumed that between Tara2 being able to do it cheaply with Expedite and in having fewer models to unbury without summons that she'd have less for Aionus. What are you using him for out of interest?

To be fair, I've found Obliteration better at resource management as I've gotten better at remembering card order for Time Warps. And as mentioned 33 helps a lot, turning your otherwise usually useless weaks into the low-moderates with specific suits you need for your TNs.

2 hours ago, Azahul said:

That's fascinatingly inverted. I usually find on any given turn I only need a little help getting everything unburied. I'd have assumed that between Tara2 being able to do it cheaply with Expedite and in having fewer models to unbury without summons that she'd have less for Aionus. What are you using him for out of interest?

To be fair, I've found Obliteration better at resource management as I've gotten better at remembering card order for Time Warps. And as mentioned 33 helps a lot, turning your otherwise usually useless weaks into the low-moderates with specific suits you need for your TNs.

With both Aionus and Timeless, one of them can generate pass tokens while the other holds activation in order to unbury and capitalize. 

Time Warp is great when it works, I find it more of an opportunity to jump on than a plan A, but that could certainly be a matter of experience.

Makes sense on the Tara2/Aionus front. I haven't delved too deep into Tara2 admittedly, only played a couple of games before deciding I preferred Tara1 in virtually all scenarios, so not surprising there's some nuance I'm missing.

On the Time Warp front at least if the deck hasn't given me a good Time Warp, it usually means the rest of the deck should be decent 😁

On 2/3/2022 at 4:43 AM, Azahul said:

Haha, I'm the other way around (bit of a theme emerging), but it is neat that such a small Keyword is still able to give that sort of flexibility in preferred playstyles. Something to be said for having every model feel worthwhile.

I've thought about it a bit more and with Tara1 I've always gotten good results with Aionus if I've just assumed he'd need 1-2ss per activation and budgeted accordingly. And he does do game-warpingly good work then, I just don't love how needy he feels 😛

2 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I've thought about it a bit more and with Tara1 I've always gotten good results with Aionus if I've just assumed he'd need 1-2ss per activation and budgeted accordingly. And he does do game-warpingly good work then, I just don't love how needy he feels 😛

Is that to buy crows? Because 33 largely removes that tax by just giving you the 7 of crows most turns.

The way I play Aionus is typically charge a buried friendly model (ideally the Nothing Beast) every turn, then Sever Timeline a summon. Do that three or four times to creep down a flank and be in a spot to enable a scheme or strat point or two in the last few turns. Maybe sucker punch an enemy with a big hit in the late game.

It sounds like I probably play Tara into much less killy pools than you though, so maybe that is part of it?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 12:25 AM, SEV said:

Well, lists are locked so I may as well say that, despite the name of this topic, for round four I am going to be playing Von Schill Ironheart rather than Tara.

If I lose it is clearly because I abandoned Tara 😅

• Like 2

Turns out I predicted it! Can't win a game without Tara. Was a close run thing but the Von Schill vs Jack Daw game ended 5-4 in Daw's favour. My opponent definitely outplayed me and I couldn't quite sculpt the critical mass of good cards to push through the actions I needed to win.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, a quick catch-up on the last two games of the series.

Game five was Tara1 vs Seamus1 on Break the Line. I misplayed my turn one a bit, after getting no crows in hand initially I decided I would rather hold my stones for damage prevention rather than spend one on Aionus to get pass tokens from Eventuality. A big mistake, since it meant Tara had to put herself forward before Seamus activated and that meant she got jumped towards the end of Turn One. Luck didn't help, my best card in hand Turn 2 was lower than my opponent's so I lost initiative, and a severe damage flip on negatives meant Seamus killed Tara in melee before she activated on Turn 2. I killed his Dead Rider in return (setting up that kill was why Tara was so exposed to begin with), but after that things deteriorated pretty badly and I started losing models like flies. We called the game after I managed to score Catch and Release with a hired Wretch, only to Black Joker the initiative flip and thus lose any chance of getting the end point of the scheme. I think we ended up calculating that game as a 7-3 loss.

Game six was a second Turf War game with both Claim Jump and Research Mission. I decided to give Schill another shot as a result and ran the same build as my previous game. This time I learned my lessons from the previous game, and rather than blithely dive my opponent's death bubble and make a bunch of Hazardous Terrain for him to push me into I hung back, killed Colette's doves and decoys every chance I got, and only dove in once I could start peeling the bubble apart systematically. Hannah killed Cassandra from full health through a Soulstone with a full 9 damage punch, and I managed to pick things apart from there while using my surplus of healing to keep my models from ever dying. It ended in a 7-4 win for Schill, losing no models and only failing on the fourth strat point.

To be honest beyond just reinforcing my view that Tara is a fantastic Master with a great Keyword, the other thing I've taken from this event is that Schill2 is a bit better than I originally gave him credit for. I actually think he may work better with Yannic than Schill1, if only because the Yannic-Engineers bubble produces so many Severe cards that you can run out of moderates for Schill's TNs whereas Schill2 just wants to punch and a Severe never feels bad there. Not as good at scheming of course, but still he has more to recommend him than I originally gave credit.

• Like 2