Stacking abilities and oddball question

Erik1978

Question

Misery doesn't stack ie you won't be taking 4 x 1 dmg from 4 models with Misery if you gain stunned in the middle of their party. Once per activation.

But my opponent was adamant about Penetrating stench stacking, meaning I had to either discard 4 cards or gain stunned when I activated engaging 4 of those models?

The oddball is about Shenlong the Teacher:

He attaches an upgrade in the start phase of turn 1. Will that trigger River's Conflux on that type of Monk?

6 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

The oddball is about Shenlong the Teacher:

He attaches an upgrade in the start phase of turn 1. Will that trigger River's Conflux on that type of Monk?

The start phase is part of the turn.  So as long as you’re not reattaching the same upgrade, that works.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Erik1978 said:

Misery doesn't stack ie you won't be taking 4 x 1 dmg from 4 models with Misery if you gain stunned in the middle of their party. Once per activation.

But my opponent was adamant about Penetrating stench stacking, meaning I had to either discard 4 cards or gain stunned when I activated engaging 4 of those models?

This is correct.

Auras of the same name do not stack, but for whatever reason penetrating  stench is not an aura (it does not have the aura symbol).

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

This is correct.

Auras of the same name do not stack, but for whatever reason penetrating  stench is not an aura (it does not have the aura symbol).

The only counter argument I can think of is that you could say one card meets the requirements for all models with Penetrating Stench. But I'm not sure that works rules wise or what the intent of the ability was. Forcing 4 card discard (or gain Stunned), seems strong. Rare, but strong. If it was an Aura it would be easy to answer. 

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

The only counter argument I can think of is that you could say one card meets the requirements for all models with Penetrating Stench. But I'm not sure that works rules wise or what the intent of the ability was. Forcing 4 card discard (or gain Stunned), seems strong. Rare, but strong. If it was an Aura it would be easy to answer. 

The issue with this interpretation is they resolve at 4 different times.

So you have to discard or gain stunned, discard or gain stunned, discard or gain stunned, discard or gain stunned.

6 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

The issue with this interpretation is they resolve at 4 different times.

So you have to discard or gain stunned, discard or gain stunned, discard or gain stunned, discard or gain stunned.

The timing is Start of Activation for all of them, so they all generate at Step 1.  But yes, I think they stack. It is a bit unclear and really wish they had made it just an Aura to make things easier. 

I suppose if they didn't want it to stack they could have used the 'one or more models with this ability' clause. So it's likely they mean it to stack. Just sucks to get into combat with 2 or more models with Penetrating Stench. 

• Agree 1