Back through the breach but need a map

Chucklemonkey2

Hi all

I played Malifaux pretty extensively in 1st edition and dabbled briefly in 2nd. I'm looking to start trying to get a few games in and just wondering what I need rules wise to get (re) started.

Probably looking at running ironside (whose original crew I have sat unplayed), or Lynch, assuming that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

18 minutes ago, Chucklemonkey2 said:

Hi all

I played Malifaux pretty extensively in 1st edition and dabbled briefly in 2nd. I'm looking to start trying to get a few games in and just wondering what I need rules wise to get (re) started.

Probably looking at running ironside (whose original crew I have sat unplayed), or Lynch, assuming that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

Rules wise? Nothing, there's an app called the crew builder that has everything you need including the rulebook, and all the cards for free, both on the wyrd website under the apps section, and on phones (ofc)

Past that I'd recommend joining the official discord as people tend to be far more actively chatting over than and super open to answering any questions you may have

Welcome back. If you played 1st and 2nd ed then the rules are still very similar. (you'll need to read through to find the changes, things like Charges are effectively a 1 action now, focus doesn't go at the end of turn and crew hiring has changed based on keyworded models to name a few of the bigger ones I can think of in the switch from 2nd to 3rd). 

You can download the game rules as well as the Cards from here Malifaux — Wyrd Games (wyrd-games.net) And, as said, they are available for free on the App. You may be able to buy the faction arsenal box, or you can buy the cards of interest at Drive-thru games if you want proper cards.

One thing that may be relevant to you, the old Ironside box contains models that are not her keyword anymore (The Oxfordian mages). She can still use them, but they are more expensive for her, and may not synergise. It doesn't stop you learning the game with her, but if you start getting competitive then you will probably stop using them.

Pick the Master you find most interesting, and start with that one. At the very least it will give you a good guide to the core rules, even if you decide their style isn't what you like. Most crew boxes will get you a playable list, and there are some easy expansions in each Keyword, as well as looking at faction versatile models to expand with. My general advice is don't expand too fast, play with what you have and then decide what you need next, buy that and try it out. Repeat until you own everything...🤣 

Yep agree with Adran, the biggest frustration jumping back in with Ironsides is that her original box had oxfordians, which are now academic (sandeep) and captain is in a versatiles box (tho still m&su).  Her new box contains union miners and amina instead.  So depending on how much of the faction you own you may either have to rebuy the starter for those pieces or hunting around/proxying.

Beyond the repack, the rules docs / cards are freely available as stated above, so that barrier is pretty easy.  There's some changes / simplifications that took me a while to go from m2e to m3e, but if it's been a while since you played malifaux, you may not have to worry much about 'unlearning old habits' and just accept the new learning process.

Another big change is the hiring method.  Each master has a keyword that they can hire for cost, and versatiles that anyone in the faction can hire for cost.  Anything else in faction is now +1 cost.  So Lynch could hire tannen/graves for cost as they're in his key, or yasonuri as it's versatile, but if he wanted to hire Ototo he would have to play cost +1 to hire him.  There's also no-cross faction mercenaries.  There is a keyword named mercenary (the vik's keyword) but it's treated like any other keyword.

That doesnt mean you can't hire out of faction, you can, but only if the model shares a keyword with your leader.  For instance with Malifaux Burns Lynch got a new keyworded model (soul battery) that is in outcasts.  Lynch can hire it at the normal cost even tho its not in Thunders.

Which is another thing.  Lynch is now 100% ten thunders, he's lose his dual faction status with NB.

Many thanks all. The responses are much appreciated. Very much a win some you lose some situation it seems. Losing the utility of Ironsides and Lynch - who I played exclusively as Neverborn- but gaining the easy access rules. 

Will need to do a bit of digging to see if there are any other masters I didn't sell off or what I need to add to get a relatively playable crew back together.