Semantics of modifiers for duel, damage, and action.

Saviouress

Question

Hello there,

I have a couple of questions related to the modifiers in this game, how they behave, and if some of these are actually the same thing just worded differently.

For reference I've gathered a couple of examples where modifiers pop up.

My questions:

1) Is there a meaningful difference between ":-flipto duel" and ":-flipto action" when related to doing an Action?

2) Does the fate modifier from standing in Severe Terrain from Roots of Below get carried over to the Quicksand trigger's simple duel, if so why?

Thanks,

Saviouress.

Semantics_MF.png

5 answers to this question

For what it’s worth, damage flips get called out because they’re separate from the action’s duels, and the convention is that fate modifiers to an action are applied to that action’s duel.  That’s part of why this sentence is in the damage flip rules:

Damage flips are not a type of duel and are unaffected by game effects that reference duels. 

On 11/5/2021 at 5:38 PM, Angelshard said:

1) Yes, to duel can only apply to duel flips, to action can apply to all flips in the action.  

No, a positive to the Action is only a positive to the Action's duel. Apex's Predatory instinct is broken otherwise, as you could trade a negative to the damage flip for a positive to the duel and damage flips.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:53 PM, Saviouress said:

2) Does the fate modifier from standing in Severe Terrain from Roots of Below get carried over to the Quicksand trigger's simple duel, if so why?

Semantics_MF.png

No, the fate modifier shouldn't carry over. Roots from below is a minus to resist this action. The TN 15 mv duel is not a resist (since it isn't opposed), so it isn't resisting this action.

Thanks everyone for answering.
So I guess in the context of fate modifiers there's no difference between duel and action.

That rulebook entry sort of confused me more than it helped to be honest.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:33 PM, solkan said:

Damage flips are not a type of duel and are unaffected by game effects that reference duels.