Complicated actions.

Chris Garstan

Question

The question is: how exactly I should resolve actions like:

- Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and gains Staggered.

- Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and gains Burning.

- Target suffers 2/4/6 damage. Push the target up to 2” in any direction.

- Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and must either discard a tome or have this model draw a card.

As far as I can see it in the rule book on page 34 the part after damage track should be resolved on step 5 and model will be killed only after step 6 if the total damage after all damage and healing will reduce model’s health to 0.

For instance: If I determine damage by making a damage flip =3 and it reduces models health to 0 I will still apply burning to it. Only after that the model may be saved from death by healing (like life token or any kind of aura which will heal the damaged model).

same goes to pushes and discards?

if it was already discussed - please let me know where to read it. Thank you.

5 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Chris Garstan said:

The question is: how exactly I should resolve actions like:

- Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and gains Staggered.

- Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and gains Burning.

- Target suffers 2/4/6 damage. Push the target up to 2” in any direction.

- Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and must either discard a tome or have this model draw a card.

As far as I can see it in the rule book on page 34 the part after damage track should be resolved on step 5 and model will be killed only after step 6 if the total damage after all damage and healing will reduce model’s health to 0.

For instance: If I determine damage by making a damage flip =3 and it reduces models health to 0 I will still apply burning to it. Only after that the model may be saved from death by healing (like life token or any kind of aura which will heal the damaged model).

same goes to pushes and discards?

if it was already discussed - please let me know where to read it. Thank you.

You go through the action step by step. 

So you will apply the damage, and only after the damage is resolved will you go to the second part of the action. A model can become killed whilst resolving the damage, and so it would not be on the table to resolve the next part of the action. 

Page 23

Step 5: Apply Results

The model performs the Action’s effects, as stated on the card, in the order they are listed. If any of an Action’s effects cannot be resolved, they are ignored.

Edit - Step 5 on page 34 is talking about effects like Black blood that happen " after damaging", not the remaining effects in the action. 

• Agree 1

So by resolving attack of Blessed of December a model within aura of San Quang and near hazard we will see:

deal damage - model killed 

place by Sun Quiang - model not killed it is in 1 hp

Model alive - push 2 inches in hazard but within 3 inches of Sun Quiang

model killed?! - it was placed and healed 1 but dead because of starting placement in hazard? No it was placed and healed 1 that costed 3 cards.

Or after model’s health became 0 even if it is healed after somehow all my effects typed after damage track are ignored?

4 minutes ago, Chris Garstan said:

So by resolving attack of Blessed of December a model within aura of San Quang and near hazard we will see:

model killed?! - it was placed and healed 1 but dead because of starting placement in hazard? No it was placed and healed 1 that costed 3 cards.

Or after model’s health became 0 even if it is healed after somehow all my effects typed after damage track are ignored?

The model will be removed before Sun's heal goes off.

Since you resolve the damage first, part of resolving the damage is removing it from the table. So by the time you get to Sun's ability, the model is already gone.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Garstan said:

Lets go through this step wise. 

Blessed attacks a model that is on 1 wound. 

It hits and deals damage.  We go to the damage timing chart on page 34.

Sun Quang bedside manner doesn't resolve until the action is fully resolved, so we can't use that in step 5, so we get to step 6 and the model is on 0 health and killed.

(also worth noting that he has been errata'd and doesn't heal on place now anyway, but that wouldn't have changed the answer)

It's also worth noting that the FAQ includes this statement (Section 2: Actions, question four):

Some Actions have listed effects that are two distinct impacts on a model, such as “Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and is Pushed up to 3" in any direction.” Are these two distinct impacts considered separate effects?
a) Yes. In the above instance, these are separate effects that resolve independently. These effects are always resolved one at a time

in the order presented in the text. If a model is killed (and removed) from the first of these effects, any following effects (such as being Pushed, discarding cards, etc.) are ignored.

Note the last sentence.  The fact that the action has specified that more things will happen to the target doesn't keep the target in play.