A Kaeris bird

Peturd

1 minute ago, Jinn said:

Honestly, as a Kaeris player, I really don't like the swingy nature of the ability. Sure, for some crews it's hard to move her, but for others it's pretty trivial and, as you said, the burning builds up quickly due to her always wanting to move/charge into pyres (which gives Burning +2 per charge). A Master like new Lady J, new Pandora, or new Yan Lo, or a model like Thirty Three with Incorporeal and Pine Box, or anyone with Scatter, or a model with I've Got Your Back can cause you to consistently take the Radiance damage on Kaeris if you don't force last activation. It may not be a problem on turn 1 or 2, but even if you're playing her without trying to build up burning you'll probably be getting up there in the later turns.

It feels really really bad having to intentionally ignore your playstyle and schtick (and ignore her weird version of flight, basically) to just play in these matchups, and it is certainly going to feel even worse for your opponent if they don't have one of these counters. I wish they'd remove it to be honest. Instead, maybe let her heal from burning (plus reduce it by amount healed), and give her the Flare Up ability from Deacon's card. Or something completely different, like make it a simple duel to resist it for enemies but allow it to heal or move her rather than damage her. Make the ability not so horribly one sided against whoever gets hit by it.

I definitely agree that this kind of ability (it's also on the Corpse Curator) seems problematic for the game, in part due to the lack of a cap.

I think part of the idea is you just declare Kaeris 1 if you think you're going to be in a matchup where they can stop you.

That said, the last activation issue still seems like a huge one. Of course, when you're only doing ~6 damage, it doesn't matter, you can end your turn near one of your own models to negate the damage if it doesn't seem like there's a safe way to one-shot something.

13 minutes ago, Jinn said:

Honestly, as a Kaeris player, I really don't like the swingy nature of the ability. Sure, for some crews it's hard to move her, but for others it's pretty trivial and, as you said, the burning builds up quickly due to her always wanting to move/charge into pyres (which gives Burning +2 per charge). A Master like new Lady J, new Pandora, or new Yan Lo, or a model like Thirty Three with Incorporeal and Pine Box, or anyone with Scatter, or a model with I've Got Your Back can cause you to consistently take the Radiance damage on Kaeris if you don't force last activation. It may not be a problem on turn 1 or 2, but even if you're playing her without trying to build up burning you'll probably be getting up there in the later turns.

It feels really really bad having to intentionally ignore your playstyle and schtick (and ignore her weird version of flight, basically) to just play in these matchups, and it is certainly going to feel even worse for your opponent if they don't have one of these counters. I wish they'd remove it to be honest. Instead, maybe let her heal from burning (plus reduce it by amount healed), and give her the Flare Up ability from Deacon's card. Or something completely different, like make it a simple duel to resist it for enemies but allow it to heal or move her rather than damage her. Make the ability not so horribly one sided against whoever gets hit by it.

I definitely agree that this kind of ability (it's also on the Corpse Curator) seems problematic for the game, in part due to the lack of a cap.

I think it is more a matter of playstyle. Similar to Viks or Seamus, some players like to push their offensive potential to the limited, while others more lean towards making use of their mobility for achieving S&S and treat their damage output as a threat to keep opponent in place.

If you are not sold on the idea of maxing out the burning nuke of Kaeris2, just don't. Keep her with minimum burning she needs and limited opponent's positioning just by existing there. And if the opponent has placed a model in a wrong place, move Kaeris in and punish that model with the burning damage.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Rufess said:

If you are not sold on the idea of maxing out the burning nuke of Kaeris2, just don't. Keep her with minimum burning she needs and limited opponent's positioning just by existing there. And if the opponent has placed a model in a wrong place, move Kaeris in and punish that model with the burning damage.

I think it's less about maxing her out but more of a mechanic's very specific usage. Unlike expunge from M2E and immolate. Kaeris requires a very specific positioning and timing (end of turn). 

If you use her other core ability to move through models, you're going to accumulate a lot of burning. If you activate her too early, then you're really putting yourself at risk of bombing yourself or a friendly. Going late may not always be the smart play however. 

You do always have the option of dumping that damage on a flame born model but there's always that risk of it not working or not being able to reach her. 

Maybe that's just part of the play style of this specific Kaeris. You get a very nice unrestricted damage nuke but it requires you play her in a very specific, very predictable way. Not saying that this is bad, but I can see how it could be potentially frustrating for either player.  

• Agree 2