Pigapult - Make it ignore LoS?

GrumpyGrandpa

Anyone else tried the Pigapult, after the recent FAQ on how "Placing an object" needs to have LoS? I've had very little experience with it, and wasn't sure if everyone already knew.

From the FAQ:

Section 2

10. *If a model would place an object “anywhere within range” of an Action, does it need to have LoS to that range?*

a) Yes. The range of an Action includes LoS. The only exception to this is if a model is placing itself it does not need LoS

I wonder if making it ignore LoS would break the model?

24 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

I wonder if making it ignore LoS would break the model?

Pause for a moment and forget about the part of the action where a model is being placed, and look at the part of the action where it generates a shockwave.  The basic Shockwave rules explicitly include "in range and line of sight" as part of the shockwave process.

Seems like you'd need a really good reason for a model with a range 18" shockwave attack (pretty much the longest range shockwave in the game) should get an exception that no one else does.  🤷‍♀️

12 minutes ago, solkan said:

Pause for a moment and forget about the part of the action where a model is being placed, and look at the part of the action where it generates a shockwave.  The basic Shockwave rules explicitly include "in range and line of sight" as part of the shockwave process.

Seems like you'd need a really good reason for a model with a range 18" shockwave attack (pretty much the longest range shockwave in the game) should get an exception that no one else does.  🤷‍♀️

Shockwave rules say that shockwave marker must be dropped in range and los. Pigapult doesn't drop shockwave markers and shockwave happens after the model is placed. Why should we ignore half of the action wording?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, solkan said:

Honestly always assumed that it was the model-placement that people used it for the most - But I've also got a very negative view of Shockwave-duels. They never seem to hit home, and this one "only" does 2 damage (obviously excluding the potential Bacon-bomb that follows it). But I see what you mean.

6 hours ago, solkan said:

I could think of many good reasons, like from a balance perspective it's not that good, it's insignificant, once it gets engaged becomes useless, requires from external support to use his only trigger in its main attack, doesn't do direct damage and it's just a simple duel...

From a fluff perspective, it's a catapult, so it just launches stuff after targeting it in a direction and setting up the tension of the cord, not a gun or a cannon, so it should perfectly be able to drop someone in the shadow of a building.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2