Undercover Reporter's "undercover" abilite

belorey

Question

5 answers to this question

Undercover Reporter's unbury happens at the start of his activation. If there are any other unbury effects, that resolve at the same time, his owner (the active player) can decide which effect happens first. So Undercover Reporter can unbury using his ability and other unbury effects will not resolve at all, as he is no longer buried.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

As answered above the Undercover Reporter can unbury himself with his Undercover ability. But if he was buried by an effect that involve a simple duel when activate, such as Pine Box, I believe that he must still perform the simple duel even he has already been unburied.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:15 AM, Rufess said:

As answered above the Undercover Reporter can unbury himself with his Undercover ability. But if he was buried by an effect that involve a simple duel when activate, such as Pine Box, I believe that he must still perform the simple duel even he has already been unburied.

Why do he need to perform the Pine Box duel if he is already unbury?

7 hours ago, belorey said:

Why do he need to perform the Pine Box duel if he is already unbury?

Because the only effect that doesn't happen is unburying. Everything else has to be done.

So this is more obvious if the text said "takes two damage and unburies." I believe you'd take two damage, realise that you can't unbury, and ignore the unbury.

Although I guess I should cite the rules:

If a Buried model would be Buried by a game effect, it ignores that game effect. Models that are not Buried ignore any effects that would cause them to Unbury.

And the FAQ:

Killjoy – If Killjoy would be killed while it is Buried, does his Demise (Immortal Soil) Ability resolve, thus Healing Killjoy 4? a) Yes. If Killjoy was killed by reducing his Health to 0 while Buried, he would still Heal, though the Bury is ignored.

So we can see from the FAQ that the bury and the heal are separate effects, and you only ignore the bury. If we apply the same logic to the unburying process, then other effects still occur.

• Agree 1