Resser discussion: Vassal world series November round 1 (VWSNR1)

Maniacal_cackle

The vassal world series has been announced, and the first event is up!

I thought we could have a thread to discuss round 1.

Here's the scenario:

• Map: Grasslands
  • Symbols on Corner Deployment
  • Catch and Release,
  • Leave your mark,
  • Breakthrough,
  • Vendetta
  • Let them bleed

What are people thinking for this round?  Toshiro and Emissary seem good for denial.

Bone piles and crooligans are good for catch and release. We have a number of crews/models that can do Breakthrough or Vendetta. Leave Your Mark is interesting on this scenario, as it really detracts from dominating the rest of the board. Let them bleed seems extra hard unless you're Kirai or someone with board presence everywhere.

What do people think? Seamus, Reva, Kirai, and Molly all seem doable, although the terrain isn't that favourable for Seamus or Reva. I assume VS could do this scenario as well?

Also feel free to post here once you know your opponent's leader.

• Maniacal_cackle changed the title to Resser discussion: Vassal world cup November round 1 (VWCNR1)

Not to be pedantic but more so to avoid any confusion it is the vassal world series, not to be confused with the vassal world cup that recently took place and was a team event.

I haven't decided whether or not to attend yet but if I did (and took my ressers) this pool would be Kirai all over.

• Like 1

• Maniacal_cackle changed the title to Resser discussion: Vassal world series November round 1 (VWSNR1)
2 minutes ago, Cleezy said:

Not to be pedantic but more so to avoid any confusion it is the vassal world series, not to be confused with the vassal world cup that recently took place and was a team event.

I haven't decided whether or not to attend yet but if I did (and took my ressers) this pool would be Kirai all over.

Updated :)

What is the draw for Kirai? Slow development on corner, and lots of models to cover both taking and protecting markers?

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Updated :)

What is the draw for Kirai? Slow development on corner, and lots of models to cover both taking and protecting markers?

A few main things really - incredibly fast crew so you will be able to pressure the enemy early and ideally make it hard for them to pass into my half of the board.

Big hitters, reasonably survivable and vengeance makes them great for tying up models/helping with LTB. No healing also helps with that.

You can literally choke your opponent with Urami and its unrelenting presence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cleezy said:

A few main things really - incredibly fast crew so you will be able to pressure the enemy early and ideally make it hard for them to pass into my half of the board.

Big hitters, reasonably survivable and vengeance makes them great for tying up models/helping with LTB. No healing also helps with that.

You can literally choke your opponent with Urami and its unrelenting presence.

I do like proactive play, and that seems safer than relying on defending the markers once the opponent gets near.

Neat!

11 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I do like proactive play, and that seems safer than relying on defending the markers once the opponent gets near.

Neat!

In a crew like Kirai and the Urami you can comfortably defend the markers while having some models (generally summons) do the leg work in AP reduction/marker collecting.

Kirai just offers the versatility to get everything where you need it to be, when you need it there.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about Kirai as well. Yan Lo looks really good here, but i just personally don't have time to practive Yan Lo as well as it required.

There are enough of fast movement in Kirai crew (because of Incorporeal mostly) to take enemies Symbols and Kira herself + Datsue Ba + some summon and Nurse is not so bad for protecting our Symbols. 

• Like 1

I'm weighing up trying to learn Yan Lo's combos within the next few weeks, or just brushing up on my Kirai, or sticking with the crews I know best.

Hard to weigh up experience vs. optimality in these things, but definitely gotta lean towards experience I think. So for that reason I may be taking Molly or Reva. Possibly Seamus.

That said, these could be fun opportunities to learn some new crews! You only need to place well in 3 of the months you participate.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the lists:

• Reva & candles
  • Dead Rider
  • Carrion emissary
  • Toshiro & whisper
  • Yin & GST

His list:

• Tara & Karina
  • Aionus
  • Nothing beast
  • Scion of the void
  • Hodgepodge emissary
  • Midnight stalker

When building my list, I did a search for don't mind me models in outcasts and figured I could handle Big Jake. I forgot Emissary can hand it out as an upgrade, so I'm going to have to figure out a new strategy xD

22 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Here are the lists:

• Reva & candles
  • Dead Rider
  • Carrion emissary
  • Toshiro & whisper
  • Yin & GST

His list:

• Tara & Karina
  • Aionus
  • Nothing beast
  • Scion of the void
  • Hodgepodge emissary
  • Midnight stalker

When building my list, I did a search for don't mind me models in outcasts and figured I could handle Big Jake. I forgot Emissary can hand it out as an upgrade, so I'm going to have to figure out a new strategy xD

Just dont load up with burning and shilded that much 

2 hours ago, dannydb said:

Just dont load up with burning and shilded that much 

Haha, yeah, that was a thing I was careful about all game xD

EDIT: he won 7-6. I was able to easily dispatch the Midnight Emissary, but could not deal with Tara with Don't Mind Me on top of all the other stuff I had to kill to keep the game going xD