Household-gamer's video battle report Misaki vs Dreamer

Joooohan

I like the format, especially the compressed length. I rarely have time to watch 2-3 hour battle reports so it's great to have shorter reports which still manages to contain all the relevant information. I'll definately be looking out for future battle reports.

My only suggestion is that it could perhaps be good to mix in some close-up shots of the models every now and then. It would make it easier to get a feel for how the models are positioned and add a little variety.

I really liked it!  A few things:

1)  You can't use Focus on Terrifying checks.  I know it seems like you should be able to, but Focus is only for Opposed duels (page 29).

2)  It was mentioned that if you use Scamper when someone cheats Terrifying, you can avoid the ensuing melee attack by moving out of range.  This is actually disputed.  Some people think you can, some think you can't.  I go back and forth.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the positive feedback.  As far as the terror checks, someone else caught that as well.  It makes sense but yeah unfortunately we goofed that up.  You bring up a good point on scamper, I think if you are base to base and they move two inches as long as you have a 2 inch reach you should be good.  That's the way we treat it anyways.  We could be mistaken though

11 minutes ago, Joooohan said:

Thanks for the positive feedback.  As far as the terror checks, someone else caught that as well.  It makes sense but yeah unfortunately we goofed that up.  You bring up a good point on scamper, I think if you are base to base and they move two inches as long as you have a 2 inch reach you should be good.  That's the way we treat it anyways.  We could be mistaken though

If the scamper doesn't leave the engagement range, then it very rarely matters. 

But the arguments against it stopping the action are twofold,

Firstly, should the scamper wait until the end of the current action? The text talks about action and ability, so its a little unclear (I think it should probably say Action and/or ability to be clear that you can't do it in the middle of something else, but I only think this was the intent)

Secondly an action tells you to check the range of the action before you reach taking a terrifying test. Nothing else in the steps of taking an action require you to re-check the range unless the action itself tells you to do so. So moving the model outside of the range later doesn't automatically cause the action to fail. The counter argument was that the rules say range determines how far you can affect and therefore that you always have to keep the target in range to be able to affect it rather than just at the point you check range.  (As an example against this, Ride with me would be a pretty poor action if you could only move the targeted model into base contact with you as long as you never went beyond 2" from it)

Thank you for the clarification on this topic.  I can see how it has been a bit confusing in the order in which it resolves.  Based on the specific example about Ride with me, makes me think that the range would/should be checked at the start of the action not constantly through out the action.  And I agree with you that the wording could be tweaked slightly on scamper to help to have it not up for interpretation.  

On 9/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, Adran said:

Nothing else in the steps of taking an action require you to re-check the range unless the action itself tells you to do so.

The issue is the rules unambiguously state that the range is an absolute limit on the reach of the action's effects.  This is like saying "nothing can go faster than the speed of light, but as long as there's nobody with a speedometer, we can go warp speed."

Also, as we did discuss last time, some actions do tell you to check again during Step 5.  If the action's effect says "within range."  

On 9/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, Adran said:

(As an example against this, Ride with me would be a pretty poor action if you could only move the targeted model into base contact with you as long as you never went beyond 2" from it)

Both actually result in sort of absurd interactions.  5 or 6" :ToS-Melee: against models you're not engaged with, or ranged attacks against models you can't see are also ridiculous.

Does Scampering into The Captain's aura reduce damage?  Etc.

14 hours ago, Joooohan said:

And I agree with you that the wording could be tweaked slightly on scamper to help to have it not up for interpretation.  

I actually think this is one of those RAW produces an odd result that really isn't desirable and I think the easiest way to fix it is to errata away the line in the rules saying that an action's effects can't extend past its range, as a general ruling.  Then, also, a clarification on how they want Scamper to work.

• Respectfully Disagree 1