Vassal on Mac OS problems

BloodBought

Yes.  Before I installed Java I was getting the error message about needing a JRE or whatever it was.  After installing Java I have this new weirdness of the program launching, but not actually opening.  (The program appears in my dock, but doesn't get the little dot under it to show that it's an active process).

Which version of OS X are you running?

Perhaps more importantly, are you perhaps getting this dialog?

If you're getting that dialog, Vassal's just going to stay as the jumping window, or not launch, until you go into the Security and Privacy control panel.  Usually, what you can do is:

* Try open Vassal, it's stuck in bouncing mode.  Leave it there, with the dialog still open.

* Go into Security and Privacy, you should see an "Open it anyway" button to finish launching Vassal.

I'm posting this from OS 10.14, the details for other versions are similar.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 14.36.11.png

• Thanks 1

I'm on OS 10.15 (Catalina I think it is).  

The only dialog box I get when trying to open Vassal after installing is the one attached below.  I of course select Open, but then nothing happens and the dialog box doesn't come up any more after that unless I trash Vassal and try reinstalling.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 1.27.58 AM.png

I’m rusty on how to do this, so I’m stuck being vague.  

Vassal is a Java application, and on OS X that means that inside Vassal.app there’s a shell script that’s used to launch the actual app.  If something went wrong with the Java installation, the shell script will fail and not appear to do anything.

I’m currently running Java 8.  I did a quick search, and there were some reported with Java 9, I don’t know if they got resolved.  That could also be causing the crash.

If that happens, you should at least get some error messages and stack trace showing up in the console and/or one of the logs.

There may be more useful information over on the vassalengine tech support forum:  http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

• Thanks 1

That helped Solkan!  Specifically found this thread: http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10776&sid=0f457368908f7e685c9b23bbec8c2d8e which gave me a tweaked version of Vassal that helps bypass the issue which seems to be a problem of newer versions of Java not jiving with Vassal correctly.

According to the thread it seems to be a known issue that is being corrected in a coming update to Vassal.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...