Risk of Reason: A Terrible Revelation Question

Kharnage

Question

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Angelshard said:

I'd say you can keep hitting the same model, sinve nothing else is indicated. There's nothing in the wording that says you must choose a new target. 

I can't back this up with any rules quote, but that is how I understand it. 

I'd actually say that it's more likely that not only can it be the same model, that it must be the same model. That the variable is how much damage is dealt, but that only one model is a target.

I'm not sure that's the interpretation, but I think it's a more likely one. I'd expect if it was supposed to be separate enemies, it'd be worded more like Final Rest (Exorcist). Or the "You're Already Dead" trigger on Misaki's Abandon Honor.

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

I'd actually say that it's more likely that not only can it be the same model, that it must be the same model. That the variable is how much damage is dealt, but that only one model is a target.

The word target does not appear at any point in the action or the trigger.

And consider “For each tome flipped, draw a card.”  If you flip two tomes, how many cards do you draw?

Edit:

The same people worked on M3E and The Other Side.  And they produced things like the errata'd The Burning Man Descends card.

According to what the same sort of language has been shown to mean in TOS, the choice for each card flipped for Risk of Reason is independent.

The difference for Exorcist and Misaki's effects is that choices are explicitly not allowed to overlap.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, solkan said:

The word target does not appear at any point in the action or the trigger.

And consider “For each tome flipped, draw a card.”  If you flip two tomes, how many cards do you draw?

Edit:

The same people worked on M3E and The Other Side.  And they produced things like the errata'd The Burning Man Descends card.

According to what the same sort of language has been shown to mean in TOS, the choice for each card flipped for Risk of Reason is independent.

The difference for Exorcist and Misaki's effects is that choices are explicitly not allowed to overlap.  

Can't speak to TOS, haven't followed that, not interested in ~28mm games that aren't skirmish. But that is a reasonable explanation for what the rules are intended to say.

And yeah, my use of "target" was used in error.

My focus was more on the "one enemy model" section. My references to Misaki and Exorcist was that if they intended it to be only different models (the OP's question), then there are ways to do that.

Just to be clear, I think the most likely interpretation is (pick a new or same model for each Crow). I just think if that is NOT it, then (pick one model to take all pings) is more likely than (pick a different model to take one ping).

Side note, that it doesn't use target could be real interesting for getting around Stealth.