Banasuva Misprint?

TheJoyInGaming

Question

Banasuva’s Demise Ability reads that he may:

“Drop... a Blocking, Destructible, Impassable Ice Pillar Marker” after he is killed.

While looking at other abilities and actions in the game that create/drop Ice Pillar Markers I couldn’t help but notice that all of the other ones I could see define the Marker as Ht 4 in addition to the other terrain traits. Am I missing something, or if not, does it really matter? Nothing prevents Wyrd from making such similar Abilities/Markers but it does seem odd, at least to me.

Btw sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

6 answers to this question

Best argument that I can provide for Banasuva's Ice Pillar definition being a typo (or copy/paste error) is that it's completely pointless to define a marker as Blocking without specifying a Ht for it.  So it's almost certainly a Ht 4 Ice Pillar like the other eleven (unless I miscounted) definitions of Ice Pillar as Ht 4, Blocking, Destructible, Impassable.  

I think no one noticed the oversight when Banasuva got all of the options added to the demise.  🤷‍♀️

Edit:  Unfortunately, it's not a "misprint" because the incomplete Ice Pillar definition is in the late public beta files.  :( 

If it helps, some models just refer to a certain type of marker without even defining it, I think (because it is defined on other cards or locations on their own card).

I suspect every unique name for a marker refers to identical markers. If it had different rules, it'd have a different name. Or at least ice pillar(2) to give a height.

12 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

If it helps, some models just refer to a certain type of marker without even defining it, I think (because it is defined on other cards or locations on their own card).

You're supposed to be able to refer to the marker types by name, just like models get referred to by name.  

12 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I suspect every unique name for a marker refers to identical markers. If it had different rules, it'd have a different name. Or at least ice pillar(2) to give a height.

Theoretically, the rules would work fine if every one of the dozen effects that drop an Ice Pillar Marker had a different defintion of Ice Pillar Marker.  (Or, for that matter, effects could drop Scheme  or Corpse or Scrap markers of different sizes.)  But, in practice, that would be a mess to keep track of.  Especially when the rules for Hazardous Markers group markers by name.

I think the list of unique named markers is:

• Blown Apart - No traits.    Rules from Blow It To Hell:  "Models within :aura2 of a Blown Apart Marker do not benefit from having Cover.  Blown Apart Markers cannot be removed from (sic) effects other than [the Blow It To Hell Action]."  
  • Dust Cloud - 50mm Concealing, Severe
  • Egg Clutch - 40mm, Destructible
  • Hungry Land - 50mm Severe, Hazardous
  • Ice Pillar - Ht 4, Blocking, Destructible, Impassable
  • Piano - 40mm Ht3, Blocking, Destructible, Impassable
  • Pyre - 50mm Hazardous (Burning +1)
  • Pit Trap - 50mm Destructible, Hazardous (Damage 1 and Injured +1), Severe
  • Shadow - Destructible, Concealing
  • Swampscreen - 50mm Concealing
  • Underbrush - 50mm Concealing, Severe
  • Web - 50mm Destructible, Severe
  • Wind Wall - 50mm Concealing

plus the main

• Scrap
  • Corpse
  • Scheme
  • Shockwave

and the variably defined Strategy.

Now to find out whether I missed a marker on that list...  

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

If it's blocking with a 0 height, Malifaux Rats can hide behind it!

Hide behind it from other Malifaux Rats ... and puts base contact rats in a 0" shadow zone.

"Why does the Hamlin player want to include all of that Ht 0 Blocking (but not severe or otherwise impeding) terrain on the board?"  🤓  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, solkan said:

Hide behind it from other Malifaux Rats ... and puts base contact rats in a 0" shadow zone.

"Why does the Hamlin player want to include all of that Ht 0 Blocking (but not severe or otherwise impeding) terrain on the board?"  🤓  

Just a table of parking curbs and dead Banasuva markers!

• Haha 1