Help me to choose my faction

Zec-Lot

22 minutes ago, teroks said:

Hello!

I am looking for to buy two different factions to full 50 points.

Welcome - Are you looking to make playable forces on a budget for playing against other people? . Or just to have 2 forces that can play each other as cheaply as possible? Because the way Malifaux packaging works, those lists aren't quite as budget as they might seem.

The game as a whole is designed to let you build the crew after you know what your set objectives are. This does mean that  most of the time you probably want to own slightly more models than you field in a list to allow some customisation. 

You have ignored upgrades and having any soulstone left over, which isn't always a bad idea (especially when learning), but you may find that you actually want some of both during the game.

I think its very rarely a good idea to hire mindless zombies. And whilst the Dead rider can summon them, I don't know how often you would use that trigger over the other triggers.

2 minutes ago, teroks said:

Also...if you have some builds to "monster based"  (50 points) setup I am interested to hear.

How do you define "monster"? There is Marcus with his beasts. There is Euripides with Cyclops and Geryants, Nekima and the Nephlim, or there is lot of the undead creatures in Resseresctionists that might count.

2 minutes ago, Adran said:

Welcome - Are you looking to make playable forces on a budget for playing against other people? . Or just to have 2 forces that can play each other as cheaply as possible? Because the way Malifaux packaging works, those lists aren't quite as budget as they might seem.

The game as a whole is designed to let you build the crew after you know what your set objectives are. This does mean that  most of the time you probably want to own slightly more models than you field in a list to allow some customisation. 

You have ignored upgrades and having any soulstone left over, which isn't always a bad idea (especially when learning), but you may find that you actually want some of both during the game.

I think its very rarely a good idea to hire mindless zombies. And whilst the Dead rider can summon them, I don't know how often you would use that trigger over the other triggers.

How do you define "monster"? There is Marcus with his beasts. There is Euripides with Cyclops and Geryants, Nekima and the Nephlim, or there is lot of the undead creatures in Resseresctionists that might count.

Idea is basically play with friends. I don't think that tournaments are what I am aiming for. Good and flexible set that is reasonable priced, but don't need to the cheapest as long as there are good setup. 

I really recommend you to learn a bit more about the game so you have a better idea of what you could like or not. In the App you have all the cards, the rules are free in Wyrds page (check also the Gaining Grounds 1, basically the recent errata/rebalancing document); expending a few days browsing that plus the forums may be a good starting point.

24 minutes ago, teroks said:

Also...if you have some builds to "monster based"  (50 points) setup I am interested to hear.

As Adran stated above, having around 50SS worth of models able to play in all games is rare as crews are usually more or less tailored (or at least tweaked) for the objectives and the master you are facing. Your best shot is collect a full keyword, plus some versatiles of that faction.

If you are interested in "monsters", Ressus, Neverborn or Outcast seems good factions for you (Explorers also seem to have their share, but those are still not known well enough) and maybe Bayou if goblins fits "monsters" for you. If you don't want to buy too many models, then try to aim for strong and versatile masters able to do well in most scenarios as there are some masters too specialized to do well as your only crew. It's not a bad idea to check if you like the other masters of the faction you are choosing, if later you decide to collect more it's better if you like most of the faction you are picking.

In NVB the Dreamer or Zoraida are solid options. I don't know that well the other 2 Factions, in Ressers Von Schtook or Seamus (this one mainly with out of keyword and versatiles, check the Resus forums) are probably 2 very good all around masters and from Outcast Leveticus is another good master as well that fits your "monster" requirement. However it'd be better if outcast/ressurs players give their opinion about those 2 factions tho.

I don't think there is much of a mindset difference between I'm playing the game against my friends, and I'm playing the game at a tournament. (At least for me, I go to tournaments because I get to play several games in a day. They aren't really any different to the games I play at my local club except I might not know my opponent before I start, and I'm doing several in the space of a day. Other people might have a different outlook).

If you wanted to play Reva, you might well find your best bet would be to buy her core and the retainer box, which would give you access to Reva, 2 corpse Candles, Vincent, 3 shield Bearers, 3 Lampard's and a restless spirit. That's 55 stones of models. When you add in Upgrades and Cache, you are looking at 70+stones worth of options, allowing you to mix and match the crew for the game you are playing.  Its certainly enough to let you get a decent idea of the game and the keyword, and let you make plans for what you would like to add to the crew in certain circumstances.

Likewise for Basse I might look at the Crew box, from above and the Trapper box giving me Cornelius and berenedette, Reichard, 3 frontierman, 2 austringers, 3 trained Raptors, 1 patfinder and 4 traps. That's 58 stones, so about 75 stones of options with upgrades and Cache. I would probably not want to hire all the raptors/Traps (if any) incase I needed to summon a new one before the one son the table had died.

Those lists aren't very flexible. you will end up with relatively similar lists how ever you build from them, because there aren't that many choices. For example, the Basse list will always have a relatively high number of figures in the crew, which means it may struggle to deny points in a reckoning game. It can certainly play and has a chance to win, but it will be struggling more. It might do well in a game where you want to spread out, such as plant explosives, as it will have the ability to send some models to try and score and some to try and defend.

My personal recommendation is to get a crew that meets what your local group are playing (typically 50 ss), and then learn to play with it. Once you've got the game rules understood and a basic idea of how your crew works, you can start looking for further purchases to help either maximise the crews strengths, or shore up the weaknesses. How far you go that way depend son how much you enjoy the game and how much you want to spend. It could be nothing else  or you might accidently own all the keywords (I'm still missing 7 masters at the moment although I think I own models from their keywords...)

47 minutes ago, Adran said:

I don't think there is much of a mindset difference between I'm playing the game against my friends, and I'm playing the game at a tournament. (At least for me, I go to tournaments because I get to play several games in a day. They aren't really any different to the games I play at my local club except I might not know my opponent before I start, and I'm doing several in the space of a day. Other people might have a different outlook).

If you wanted to play Reva, you might well find your best bet would be to buy her core and the retainer box, which would give you access to Reva, 2 corpse Candles, Vincent, 3 shield Bearers, 3 Lampard's and a restless spirit. That's 55 stones of models. When you add in Upgrades and Cache, you are looking at 70+stones worth of options, allowing you to mix and match the crew for the game you are playing.  Its certainly enough to let you get a decent idea of the game and the keyword, and let you make plans for what you would like to add to the crew in certain circumstances.

Likewise for Basse I might look at the Crew box, from above and the Trapper box giving me Cornelius and berenedette, Reichard, 3 frontierman, 2 austringers, 3 trained Raptors, 1 patfinder and 4 traps. That's 58 stones, so about 75 stones of options with upgrades and Cache. I would probably not want to hire all the raptors/Traps (if any) incase I needed to summon a new one before the one son the table had died.

Those lists aren't very flexible. you will end up with relatively similar lists how ever you build from them, because there aren't that many choices. For example, the Basse list will always have a relatively high number of figures in the crew, which means it may struggle to deny points in a reckoning game. It can certainly play and has a chance to win, but it will be struggling more. It might do well in a game where you want to spread out, such as plant explosives, as it will have the ability to send some models to try and score and some to try and defend.

Thank you for your answer. I was looking for something like this. One thing that I started to look at is Outkasts...there are some good options too. Maybe Von Schill as master (looks good). What other to get additionally to starter box?

30 minutes ago, teroks said:

Thank you for your answer. I was looking for something like this. One thing that I started to look at is Outkasts...there are some good options too. Maybe Von Schill as master (looks good). What other to get additionally to starter box?

That's a relatively easy one. My first additional box would be between the leylines, because I think Hannah is a great choice to have (And the Librarians are fairly solid, as one of the best healers in the game in a crew that uses health as a resource). Then I would probably get additional forces, because the addition of the sniper and the flamethrower gives a good answer to some problems. Engineers are a good choice, but I don't think they have a M3 box yet, otherwise it might be above the additional forces box (they have an M2e box but not all those boxes got updated stat cards, and I'm also not sure if they are going to be packaged on their own or with Lazarus in M3).  Lazarus is nice but not essential. And then you start looking at the out of Keyword or versatile models that can do well with the crew...

Agree with Adran on nearly every point.  I'm definitely in agreement with this statement:

6 hours ago, Adran said:

Whatever master you're interested in, I'd start with the starter box / proxy some of the keyword models (or buy some of the keyword boxes if you're so inclined).  Staying in Keyword is good and bad.  I love Keyword lists as they're the most synergistic, but they tend to not be the most flexible as each keyword has it's own strengths and weaknesses. 

In this game some masters/keywords are more flexible than others.  But even a flexible master may need some OOK / Versatile models to go up against a certain master... and sometimes there are just bad match-ups.  If you're starting out with a buddy, I'd check to make sure both of your masters are relatively good against each other, cause there's nothing more depressing than a total uphill battle for one side.

If you're playing brand new.  I'd say whatever master you're interested in it'll take a while to understand the game / their core mechanics.  I think most keyword boxes will be things you'll want for a master, as most of the new keyword boxes have multiple models in em, so while you may only use 1/2 the models, you may use those models in 80% of the games you play.  My only reservation to saying 'OF COURSE buy all of x keyword models' is because it took my boyfriend 4-5 masters (and 2 factions) before he found one that matched his playstyle and didn't pair badly with mine, so I'd hate for you to buy all of a keyword just to realize you don't like that keyword that much/it doesn't work in your meta.

Beyond released keyword boxes, I wouldn't pick up OOK / Versatile / Unreleased keyword models until you knew more about the master / what kind of game you like to play.  There is a lot of fun in OOK/Versatile models, but if you're just learning, its easier to start slow + really define what you want/need (as it'll usually be a counter tech piece or something to help with a common strat/scheme) rather than buying things cause someone posted that x model is bananas (it may very well be, but maybe still not what you need).

As for unreleased models (aka m2e models with m3e boxes on the july+ release schedule)... Malifaux isn't the most expensive game, so I'll always caution people away from finding an ebay seller who's marking up a m2e box 3x the MSRP cause it hasn't been released yet in M3e.  Yes it sucks to wait (I'm terrible at it) but between the price hike, and the fact that wyrd is combining boxes lately (so getting an M2e package may leave you having to re-buy it in m3e to get an extra model or 2).  Luckily the gencon sale is still in effect, which will help you with some of the recent upcoming boxes for certain masters (like von schill).

Of course this doesn't mean you can't proxy models you're interested in, between Vassal having pictures of all the models, and wyrd having all the cards in the APP / to download, it's pretty easy to get cards for anything you'd like to 'try out'.

I've also had a lot of fun / success in teaching people in non-50 stone games.  Starter box games, 35 stone games, 1 hench 1 enforcer 2 minion games...  I've try it all to get people into Malifaux and it's all fun and helpful to understand the models / keywords.  You just have to curate the schemes / strats a bit to match the game size / goal. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, teroks said:

Hello!

I am looking for to buy two different factions to full 50 points.

I have made, using app, following possibilities:

Possible (?) Reva Cortinas Crew (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 0
Leader:
  Reva Cortinas
Totem(s):
  Corpse Candle
  Corpse Candle 2
Hires:
  Vincent St. Clair
  Shieldbearer
  Shieldbearer 2
  Shieldbearer 3
  Dead Rider
  Mindless Zombie
  Mindless Zombie 2
  Mindless Zombie 3
  Mourner
References:
  Corpse Candle
  Mindless Zombie

Reva can be a difficult crew to start with. The models that work well with her are spread across the faction, so she can make purchasing difficult. That said, I find her super fun!

To start collecting Reva, I would suggest:

• Reva 3E core box.
  • Dessiccated versatile box (Grave golem + 3 bone piles).

These boxes would give you a solid core to work with, and still make good use of her main mechanics. Some players would probably go a different direction, but this is perhaps the cheapest way to play her. You can join us in the Resurrectionists forums if you'd like more tips on Reva :)