If Sparks is dead, can the blast from Bombs in Yer Belly be placed?

Mycellanious

Question

Unstable Explosives: When this model suffers damage from an effect with a damage flip it suffers +:blastdamage. This :blastMarker is always Dropped by the model that placed this Upgrade, after any other :blastMarkers have been Dropped. 

In addition, since it is after all other blasts have been Dropped, does it need to be in base with one of the other blasts as per the normal rules?

8 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

Unstable Explosives: When this model suffers damage from an effect with a damage flip it suffers +:blastdamage. This :blastMarker is always Dropped by the model that placed this Upgrade, after any other :blastMarkers have been Dropped. 

“When this model suffers damage” means that you put the blast marker on the table during the damage sequence.  It pretty much has to be Step 4 of the Damage Sequence, so whatever else happens Sparks hasn’t been Killed yet.

In addition, since it is after all other blasts have been Dropped, does it need to be in base with one of the other blasts as per the normal rules?

It doesn’t say otherwise, so you’ve got to follow the Blasts rules.  

To elaborate on the above, you drop the blast marker before Sparks (he dies at damage step 6). It has to be in base contact with one of the blast markers, or if there are no other blast markers, in base contact with itself (since it is the target of the attack). Note that this means you may be able to hit the person who attacked you with it.

Also note that I think Solkan meant step 5 of the damage sequence (after this model takes damage effects).

2 hours ago, solkan said:

“When this model suffers damage” means that you put the blast marker on the table during the damage sequence.  It pretty much has to be Step 4 of the Damage Sequence, so whatever else happens Sparks hasn’t been Killed yet.

It doesn’t say otherwise, so you’ve got to follow the Blasts rules.  

You missunderstand me. Mei Feng has the upgrade Bomb in Yer Belly attached to her, and Spark is already dead. If Mei Feng is attacked, does the blast still happen if Sparks is already dead before the attack, since it says that Sparks (the model that attached the upgrade) places the blast marker

11 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

You missunderstand me. Mei Feng has the upgrade Bomb in Yer Belly attached to her, and Spark is already dead. If Mei Feng is attacked, does the blast still happen if Sparks is already dead before the attack, since it says that Sparks (the model that attached the upgrade) places the blast marker

My answer is no. Since Sparks is not in play, it can't do anything.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I would also say no, as Sparks is gone it can't place a marker.

Additionally, the wording of the upgrade is pretty weird (it specifically refers to the model that attached the upgrade). I don't see why they'd go to that trouble for the funky wording if this wasn't a factor.

Just now, Maniacal_cackle said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I would also say no, as Sparks is gone it can't place a marker.

Additionally, the wording of the upgrade is pretty weird (it specifically refers to the model that attached the upgrade). I don't see why they'd go to that trouble for the funky wording if this wasn't a factor.

Yes this is why I was confused. I feel like the spirit of the upgrade is that Spark's owner gets to place the blasts, but RAW if Sparks dies his bombs suddenly dont work anymore

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

To elaborate on the above, you drop the blast marker before Sparks (he dies at damage step 6). It has to be in base contact with one of the blast markers, or if there are no other blast markers, in base contact with itself (since it is the target of the attack). Note that this means you may be able to hit the person who attacked you with it.

Also note that I think Solkan meant step 5 of the damage sequence (after this model takes damage effects).

Bombs In Your Belly is a when, not after.