Stunned in the middle of an activation

Ogid

Question

A quick sanity check about stunned.

According with the rules from the page 21, models who gains slow, fast or stunned apply their effects immediately. Stunned make bonus action counts against the action limit for the turn. So: If one model gain stunned in the middle of its activation (let's say for Pandora's defensive trigger) and that model had already used his bonus action, would that bonus action count against his action limit for that turn?

I think it does because even if the action didn't count when it was performed, the stunned condition make it counts against it when it's applied. But I've heard other players saying that the stunned condition doesn't apply retroactively to make that bonus action count against the limit.

Which is the right reading? Ty in advance!

3 answers to this question

I think it does because even if the action didn't count when it was performed, the stunned condition make it counts against it when it's applied. But I've heard other players saying that the stunned condition doesn't apply retroactively to make that bonus action count against the limit.

It's retroactive or not retroactive in the same way that Slow is retroactive or not retroactive.

When you're at Step C2, and you're trying to decide whether to declare an action or end your activation, you look at the actions that you've declared and what your current status is concerning Fast, Slow, and Stunned.

It doesn't matter whether you declared your bonus action while you were Stunned, or before you were Stunned, or after you were Stunned.

What follows is Step C2 explained as if it were a tax form.  😱

• Count the number of non-bonus actions you have declared at C2 so far.  Write this number in blank #1.
  • Write the number "2" in blank #2.  Then answer the following questions:
    • Have you used your bonus action, and are you currently Stunned?  If you answer yes to both of those questions, reduce number in blank #2 by 1.
    • Are you currently Slow?  If you answer yes to this question, reduce the number in blank #2 by 1.
    • Are you currently Fast, a leader, or a Master?  If you answer yes to one or more of those, increase the number in blank #2 by 1.
  • If the number in Blank #1 is less than the number in Blank #2, you can still declare non-bonus actions in Step C2.
  • Repeat this process before declaring each action in Step C2.

There's a similar tax form for bonus actions, but the point is that you have to re-examine the limits each time.  That's what they mean by coming into effect and getting ignored as soon as the status changes:

If a model would gain or end Fast, Slow, or Stunned (pg. 29) during an Activation, the effects of the Condition come into effect immediately and are ignored as soon as the Condition has ended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

A quick sanity check about stunned.

According with the rules from the page 21, models who gains slow, fast or stunned apply their effects immediately. Stunned make bonus action counts against the action limit for the turn. So: If one model gain stunned in the middle of its activation (let's say for Pandora's defensive trigger) and that model had already used his bonus action, would that bonus action count against his action limit for that turn?

Which is the right reading? Ty in advance!

I think this is mostly M2E hangover, because in M3E you dont "generate and spend AP." So at no point is your bonus action "spent" and unable to be affected by stunned.

• Thanks 1