Fatemaster Friday - O how can it be that the ground itself does not sicken?

Kimberly

Fabulous Friday Breachers!

This week we continue our tour of Malifaux, specifically within Malifaux City. There was a prevailing theme to most of the answers for last week’s mail call, so let’s take a look at @The13Fates' answer for an idea on our next stop on the Malifaux Grand Tour! 

Yup, Quarantine Zone as well, I started my campaign before picking up it's source book so any scenes set there have been very "Stealthy in Slumtown" affairs. I'm looking forward to seeing what my players think about it's cannon contents.

See the rest of the comment, and everyone else's here!

The Quarantine Zone was established years before the Piper’s Plague, but the disease left in the wake of the Tyrant Plague’s awakening has imparted a lasting fear of any sickness and some good folk flee to the zone rather than take a bullet from the Guild. As a result, Resurrectionists, miscreants, and normally law abiding yet sick individuals and their families try to eke out a life within the makeshift neighborhoods of the Quarantine Zone. Each district can add a great deal of character to your campaign.

Starting in the North most region of the zone, we have Powderburg, an open, dusty expanse of the city that was, until recently, home to Leopold Von Schill’s Freikorps. Powderburg is great for any adventure where you want to drive home how the ever changing political landscape of Malifaux impacts the day-to-day lives of its residents. With the Freikorps gone, surely some other powers want to stake a claim on Powderburg. Will your Fated Help them or hinder them?

Moving on, our next stop is Strangerskeep, which is arguable the most haunted district with its looming spires and decrepit mansions. Quiet, haunting, and likely very lonely, Strangerskeep is a great place for Fatemasters to send their Fated on a hunt for some treasure rumored to be in one of the manors of the district. Rumor has it the area’s been getting eerily cold as of late, I wonder why that is?

The Barrows is the safest district in the Quarantine Zone, and the residents are ruled over by Alexander Barrows and his wife Daphne. The Barrows is filled with architecture that are associated with all the Resurrectionist stereotypes and these stereotypes exist for good reason, as a large number of established and budding necromancers make this district their home. Use The Barrows in your campaign to show the haughty and refined side of the Quarantine Zone, or as a way for Resurrectionst Fated to mingle among their own kind! Just make sure you’re polite to the gentleman and lady of the district!

Scapetown is an opportunist’s paradise, and as a result, it’s one of the most active districts in the Quarantine Zone! Perhaps this lively community is where your Fated make their homes or visit friends. Directly opposite from Scapetown is the deserted and putrid Gremlin’s Warf, where the Guild’s attempts at destroying the disease-ridden insect population has made the waters within the district toxic. Entrance into the Southern part of the zone is easy, so this dangerous area can be an in for Fated who don’t have any other means of entry.

There is a great deal more to the Quarantine Zone than I’ve covered here but our Malifaux Grand Tour has a strict timetable to keep! For more exploration, Under Quarantine is a great resource for more information, and if you want a pre-made adventure within the zone, A Night in Rottenburg is a wonderful way to get your Fated in the middle of the dangers the Cold Street district has to offer. This Week's Mail call question is "What is your favorite aspect of the Quarantine Zone and why?"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kimberly said:

"What is your favorite aspect of the Quarantine Zone and why?"

For me, it is the exploration beyond the normal order.
Visiting a hundred little kingdoms in the bones of buildings left long ago. You walk through streets that are haunted by tragedy or wonder. It is danger a stone's throw, or bullet shot, away from a perceived safety. And each kingdom you visit is different. Within the same city, blocks apart, you can have a wasteland, or a regal area. There are mysteries and wildernesses that change as fast as you can turn a corner. Every wonderful thing you can find under the watchful eye of the guild can be potentially found by someone wandering... and so much more.

It is a place where the fated can be Kings and Queens, or Queen and King Makers, or anarchists and rebels. 

It is... opportunity.

• Agree 1

I like the aspect that in a lot of place in lieu of a normal quarantine 'Wall' there are probably streets of closed buildings or less desirable real estate that shares a common border with the QTZ. These grubby little hovels are probably full of bolt holes, secret passages, and smugglers tunnels just full of interesting characters to help or hinder a group of fated.