[New player] McMourning, rate this combo

Ogid

Hi! I'm a new player struggling to chose a faction/master.

Doc poison mechanic looks fun and powerful, but I want to be sure how solid it's.

For example, would this be a good lists for him?:

• McMourning + Grave Spirits or Killer insticts 2
  • Chihuahua
  • Rafkin 8
  • Mortimer 8
  • Sebastian 8
  • 2xGasser 8
  • Nurse 6 + Effigy of fate 2
  • 2 Mindless Zombies 4
  • 4 stones

The idea of this list is taking a good advantage of his summoning and poisoning mechanic, it requires stay quite close to each other the first turn but it can achieve easily 9-11 poison markers in most members while advancing with at least 1 action per model (that would be roughtly equivalent to regen +3/4 and a good set up for the poisoning blood ability in case a model is focused). Plus mortimer beating a zombie to death and using grave robber can generate enough corpses to summon a flesh construct and a Canine Remains in turn 1.

So, would this be a good list? In how many match up and schemes/strategies would be a good team? How this list can be countered? How easy would be for a random list to counter this one? How is this master is usually rated? Powerful or an average one? Which are the more meta builds for this master?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hey,

The list looks solid, however you can't put the Effigy of fate onto the nurse. 
It has Restricted(effigy) so it can only be attached to a model with the Effigy keyword (ie. Aracane effigy, carrion effigy, mysterious effigy, etc.)
I don't think you should focus too much on trying to summon flesh constructs, it's more of an incidental thing that the good doctor can do whilst turning enemy models into corpses.
Kentauroi are very good as McMourning can hitch a ride with them and get stuck into combat quicker. McMourning is a strong master and a powerful melee combatant, you want him into your opponent as fast as you can manage.

With list building in Malifaux you generally don't want to make a single list and use that for everything, the whole idea of the strategy and schemes pool is that you know what your objectives are (and what your opponent is using) before you construct your list.
If you were to play this list in reckoning, for example, the 2 gassers, 2 zombies and the nurse are all easy targets for your opponent's crew to take out and earn points, and if you are clobbering your own corpses you are spending your activation to set up something that a clever opponent could mitigate entirely (corpse marker removal, moving Mcmourning away from the corpses or getting him stuck with a tanky model)

Hope this is of some help.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Cake's comments above. The Kentauroi are great additions to a McMourning crew because of their ability to cart him around. I've also been hiring a Flesh Construct since they are such efficient models for 7 stones. With your list you can certainly summon one quickly, which can be good, but I find the crew to have enough round 1 setup with poison distribution that I really don't want to be performing more foundation work at the front end.  That doesn't mean it isn't a good tactic! 

I haven't been using gassers but it's primarily because I don't own them. I don't think I'll but them, but who knows. They probably won't be great for reckoning as Cake pointed out (although zombies won't impact that strategy). 

Overall though it looks pretty solid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteampunkCake said:

however you can't put the Effigy of fate onto the nurse. 
It has Restricted(effigy) so it can only be attached to a model with the Effigy keyword (ie. Aracane effigy, carrion effigy, mysterious effigy, etc.)

Oh! I didn't notice this, good to know, ty!

I'll take a look to the Kentauroi to add some mobility to him 👌. Checking Reckoning it's true those weak support models could work against the list... and killing your own zombie for corpses would give VP to the other team... XDD. Maybe this list could work for corrupted Idols for the ammount of regen plus the extra models it can generate to move idolls and bully the other player

How much poison is usually dispensed for McMourning lists in the first 2 turns? How hard is to fight versus this kind of lists? Is this master well considered?

1 minute ago, Ogid said:

Oh! I didn't notice this, good to know, ty!

I'll take a look to the Kentauroi to add some mobility to him 👌. Checking Reckoning it's true those weak support models could work against the list... and killing your own zombie for corpses would give VP to the other team... XDD. Maybe this list could work for corrupted Idols for the ammount of regen plus the extra models it can generate to move idolls and bully the other player

How much poison is usually dispensed for McMourning lists in the first 2 turns? How hard is to fight versus this kind of lists? Is this master well considered?

The zombies are insignificant, so won't impact the strategy. You can kill them all day long. 

As far as poison you can put out a great deal:

+2 for showing up 

+1 from the Chihuahua 

+2 - 8 from Rafkin (if he gets the trigger and if the model fails the test) 

+2 - 4 from Sebastian 

+2 from the Nurse 

+2 per little gasser 

You can also move some poison around with transfusion from Rafkin. So it isn't too hard to get double digit poison on a couple of models. Normally I am going to start with the Chihuahua and Rafkin as my first two activations to boost up my crew. Most models will have about 7 poison and I will have moved some from one model to McMourning (usually from his totem) so he'll have 12 or so. It depends on what I need to do at that point if I look for more. 

If I have time I may have Sebastian throw some flasks, but that isn't common. I usually don't have the Nurse giving out poison either. Usually she is giving McMourning focused. If I am in Reckoning (and usually am with this crew) I will try and hold back round 1. Otherwise both Sebastian and McMourning are taking a Kentauroi ride and getting down to business. 

• Like 1

Ok, I think I'm starting to get the style of this master. This creed seems hard as nails, but it's true the Kentaurois are pretty good to give extra mobility... 

4 hours ago, Trample said:

The zombies are insignificant, so won't impact the strategy. You can kill them all day long.

True! Then, could a zombi heavy strat would be decent in reckoning? Some of the versatile stuff is also catching my eye. Would something like this be viable?

• McMourning + Killer insticts 2
  • Chihuahua
  • Rafkin 8
  • Sebastian 8
  • Asura Rotten 8 + The  Wisper 2
  • Mortimer 8 + The Wisper 2
  • Grave Golem 10
  • 2 stones

The plan would be have the 4 Experimental models start the game as always getting as much poison as possible.

Then we will put our zombie production line into work:

Mortimer would use the wisper to set up a unexpected zombi trigger, showel any of the Experimental models (who will heal) for corpes (those would be used to raise a flesh construct and feed Killer insticts for stones); in future turns Mortimer would try to showel the lower def enemy model to generate corpses. The same with Asura, The Wisper would be used to get as many zombie triggers without stonning as possible.

Grave Golem would use the throw to move the unused corpses/zombies. In combat the throw can be used to put the zombies in a good position to attack and the extra corpses would give him a respawn point.

The idea is swarm the center of the table with the 3 Experimental models well supported with the summoned models (it's not that hard to get 1 construct plus 2-3 zombies each turn)...

Does this sound as a viable strategy?

I would recommend buying something to start with (McMournings core box?) and playing a few small practice games.

You'll find that you have a much better feel for understanding the roles of models in your crew.

There are thousands of possible strategy/scheme combinations, and probably 10-20 meaningful variations (plus deployment setups, plus matchup possibilities!)

So you really need to get a feel for your crew beyond just theorycrafting. Starting small can help with that, as you'll see what you're missing.

As an example, I didn't think much of the 'Terrorize' ability on paper for my crew until I actually played a few games. Now I'd say it is one of the best abilities in the keyword for my crew specifically. The experience of playing gives so much insight into the roles of your crew and what is missing. Another example: when I started Molly with the crew box, I was lacking killing power, so picked up some beaters.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I would recommend buying something to start with (McMournings core box?) and playing a few small practice games.

You'll find that you have a much better feel for understanding the roles of models in your crew.

There are thousands of possible strategy/scheme combinations, and probably 10-20 meaningful variations (plus deployment setups, plus matchup possibilities!)

So you really need to get a feel for your crew beyond just theorycrafting. Starting small can help with that, as you'll see what you're missing.

As an example, I didn't think much of the 'Terrorize' ability on paper for my crew until I actually played a few games. Now I'd say it is one of the best abilities in the keyword for my crew specifically. The experience of playing gives so much insight into the roles of your crew and what is missing. Another example: when I started Molly with the crew box, I was lacking killing power, so picked up some beaters.

I know I'm theorycrafting a lot 😜.

It has a reason tho. I won't be able to play a game in weeks (life is a b***h :P) so I can't afford to get the feeling of the possible masters I'd like by playing them; I'm trying to see if the strats that seem to me as good or strongh are viable or not to make an informed decision about my first master. It's true that playing a few games would be better, but I just can't now :/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would probably consider replacing your gassers with canine remains. If you already plan to summon a third one, they can benefit extra from pack tactics. You will be glad to have the extra remains even if you don't hire them from the beginning, as sebastian can easily summon them.

While your list is very poison/summoning dependent, sometimes you just want to beat something to death. Mcmourning does this, but a worthy mention is Rogue Necromancy. It is such an amazing beater (terrifying, hard to kill, hard to wound, heals from poison, min 3 dmg + flips in melee)