Yasunori, Hard to Kill, and Drawing Your Whole Deck

Kharnage

Question

I have a nightmarish proposition. So, as we've previously determined somewhere, irreducible damage doesn't get "reduced" or "unsuffered" if it encounters hard to kill; the model simply can't fall below 1 HP. The model, as far as I understand, still "suffers" each point of damage, it just can't go below 1 HP.
I bring you now to Yasunori's fast action:
"This model may suffer any amount of damage. For each point of damage this model suffered from this Action, both players draw a card. If the opposing player must discard one or more cards due to the Maximum Hand Size, they must do so randomly."
Give him Hard to Kill from Silent Protector. Can he now choose to suffer 48 damage turn 1, never having to deal with the "costs that would put him at 0 health" clause, draw his whole deck, pick out the jokers and kings, and reshuffle? 

• Haha 2

Haha, here we go again.

There is an old thread that got a bit heated about this same issue (in that case regarding overkill damage with the drink blood trigger If I recall correctly); the tldr was that "damage suffered" in the rules isn't as well defined as it should; it may refer to different points. The general consensus was that it refers to final damage taken unless explicitly stated to avoid this kind of unintended interactions (so no whole deck into your hand, no overkill healing with drink blood...)

1 minute ago, santaclaws01 said:

I could've made it more clear it was from the FAQ instead of just referring to it as the necrotic decay question, but I'm curious what you thought the first thing I posted that you replied to was?

My brain interpreted it as "You know, the grand philosophical question of Necrotic Decay" rather than thinking it was a specific FAQ entry. I even skipped right over the 1.7 you put in there. I have no excuse for how I missed it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kharnage said:

My brain interpreted it as "You know, the grand philosophical question of Necrotic Decay" rather than thinking it was a specific FAQ entry. I even skipped right over the 1.7 you put in there. I have no excuse for how I missed it. 

It happens to the best of us, but especially those of us that betray the Neverborn for Von Schtook.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Kharnage said:

Unless the App's rulebook is missing something that it should have, under "damage" on page 24, "If a game effect references the amount of damage suffered, it is referring to the amount of damage suffered after damage reduction", which HtK is expressly NOT damage reduction.

I discovered yesterday that the rulebook linked in the App is still the old pre-errata one. I don't think it matters here as this is a FAQ issue, but just be sure to check. They only updated the one in the References section of the website yesterday.