Initial Impressions, Processing Urami

This is all written with a grand total of zero table experience with Malifaux 3e, although I have played 1e and 2e. I am largely just trying to mentally process the crew and come up with opening thoughts and strategies, while presenting it for public consumption with the intent of it being picked apart and maybe helping someone else trying to process the crew as well. Take any advice given here with a grain of salt, this is just how I best learn things.

Kirai Ankokou
The Master seems to be built around having, arguably, the best summoning mechanic in the game. She has no particular movement tricks or scheme marker/interaction tricks herself, although both Seishin and Datsue Ba can potentially move her around the field. Df 4, Wp 7, Wd 12 means she is an easy target if left out in the open. She can rely on Protected (Urami) to shunt direct attacks to the Urami models around her, a task Seishin seem to be tailor made for, but that costs cards. Enemy models that activate near her do take damage while healing her, but that isn't any reason to stick her in the fray.

Her ideal turn consists of having had Seishin move her into position before she uses Blood and Wind to summon a model where she wants it; followed by one or two Spirit Barrages. She is going to want a 10:crowor higher every turn to fuel Blood and Wind, probably using a soulstone to add the crows as necessary. Because most of her crows and soulstones are likely to go towards her own summoning, getting a Gaki off with Spirit Barrage is more of a pleasant surprise or exploited opportunity than something you rely on. However, the :mask trigger on Spirit Barrage will allow your other models, such as one you just summoned, to get in extra melee attacks.

A big part of Kirai's crew is deciding how she is going to heal. She can take up to five damage per turn in an ideal scenario, and will probably be taking 3ish in more realistic cases. The other big issue Kirai is going to have is cards/soulstones--Blood and Wind is going to demand a 10-11:crowevery single turn to summon Goryo and Shikome. An 8-9:crowcan be used to summon Onryo in a pinch, but other crows should probably go into trying to summon Gaki with Spirit Barrage or her other model's actions.

Kirai herself will almost always want either the Grave Spirit's Touch upgrade or the Whisperer upgrade. Grave Spirit's Touch add a needed +2 Regeneration to Kirai, helping her survive longer and summon more. Whisperer lets her look at the top three cards of her deck and rearrange them. This lets her prevent Blood and Wind from being canceled by the Black Joker, and gives her +3 cards fish for those needed high crows and high cards. Personally, I'd rather put the Whisperer on her and use her Crew for healing. Kirai is card starved and soulstone starved more than any other Master.

Ikiryo, 8ss (free with Kirai as the leader)
This is a guided missile. Df 3, Wp 5, Wd 6 means that any unwanted attention on part of the enemy will result in a dead Ikiryo, even with Incorporeal and Terrifying (11). Ikiryo's job is to deal as much damage as possible on the way out, eat activations to be killed, and then be summoned back by Kirai. Stat 6, 2/3/4 damage with Onslaught is a pretty compelling attack line, especially on a model you are getting for free. Summoning Ikiryo back doesn't count against your once per turn limit on Blood and Wind, but it does require a card that could have gone to a Goryo or Shikome. Incorporeal, Terrifying, and Vengeance does mean Shikome is reasonably protected from weaker models that only deal a minimum of 2 damage. Ideally you send her into a cluster of such enemies and force the opponent to reposition their bigger models.

Datsue Ba, 9ss
Datsue Ba is an offensive model that wants to be near, but not in the action. Df 5, Wp 6, Wd 8, Incorporeal, Terrifying (12) and Vengeance means that she is well defended against weaker enemies, but bigger beatsticks are going to destroy her. Her biggest contributions to the crew are supplying extra movement via Guide Spirit and summoning Onryo. Most important, she operates on :mask and not :crow. A 4+ of Masks should almost always go towards either using Guide Spirit to allow a friendly Urami model to Charge or to summon an Onryo after killing someone with Weigh Sins. Lantern of Souls removing Demise abilities is situational but amazing when you need it. If you plan on feeding a lot of enemies to Datsue Ba, it is worth throwing a Whisperer on her. This helps ensure she has the suits and cards she needs, and allows her to grow Kirai's hand.

Jaakuna Ubume, 8ss
Jaakuna is a tar pit. She has a Df 5, Wp 6, Wd 7 defensive line, vengeance, incorporeal, and serene countenance to give enemies modies a :-flipon their attack flips. She makes the space around her Hazardous and then has an attack that can throw people around that hazardous terrain on a Mask trigger. She has Lure, which has some utility, especially with Seishin/Datsue Ba granting her free movement. She is decent, but I have a hard time fitting her into Kirai lists. Kirai tends to tarpit through a high volume of summon-able models.

Lost Love, 5ss
I can not overstate how much it weirds me out that Francis is now a Living Model.  He doesn't really damage people and he goes down like a wet paper bag as soon as he doesn't spend cards to shunt attacks to another model. That said, he can heal another model for 1/2/3 damage up to twice per turn with Soothe Spirit, while also potentially either removing all markers near the thing healed or granting them Fast. 5 stones for a minimum of 2 healing per turn is a steal in this crew, just watch how fragile he is.

Seishin, 2ss
Extremely cheap, insignificant models! Puzzah! No, really, that matters for things like Turf War and Slaughter, where killing Seishin won't net your opponent any progress towards their objective. They exist to heal nearby Urami models that activate 1 (doesn't stack) and, on a 7+, use their action to make a more valuable Urami model walk. Otherwise they die so you can draw a card, usually because you shunted an attack onto them with Protected.

Gaki, 4ss
These are little fragile (Df 4, Wp 4, Wd 4, Incorporeal) with big teeth (Stat 5, 2/3/4 melee attack with Coordinated Attack). That's uh, all. They aren't great objective runners beyond being cheap. I can't imagine hiring these guys out of the gate, but summoning them is nice.

Onryo, 5ss
These guys are general middle of the pack models. Like most of Urami, they are well defended against swarms of small models but quickly destroyed by larger models. They prevent healing (situationally amazing) and pass out Adversary as a bonus action. They have a decent melee and decent gun attack. While not particularly worth hiring, they are an excellent use of an 8-9:crow, or even better a :mask through Datsue Ba.

The Drowned, 6ss
These are good tarpit models, and potentially worth summoning over Onryo if you have the cards. They have Hard to Wound and attacks against them can't be cheated, making them better against more elite crews. They also put down hazardous terrain and do damage with a lot of blasts, which can get around certain defensive tech the opponent might be bringing. These look to be more situational than Onryo.

Shikome, 7ss
Too expensive and fragile to hire. They are like extra Ikiryo, designed to do as much damage as possible before dying horribly thanks to their aweful defensive stats. Unlike Ikiryo, they have Flight and Mv 7, making them excellent objective runnings. I don't think they are worth 7ss to buy for just that purpose (Manos and Archie exist at 10ss), but in this crew value for summoning is the name of the game. They are extremely mobile and get a Stat 6, 2/3/6 attack with Puncture. After they kill something, they are probably adding a Rams to all of their actions, netting them an extra attack as a bonus action and a constant puncture. These things are problems, and while they are easily killed your opponent also must spend resources to do so.

Goryo, 8ss
If you are going to hire some non-Seishin Urami Minions, it is probably going to be these guys and they may have Upgrades attached (i.e. Touch of the Grave Spirit). They are largely upgraded Onryo, but far more mobile. Not only can they charge twice per turn, but Mark of Vengeance gains a Mask Trigger that lets them teleport 10" to an enemy model. Once in a cluster of enemies, they can instead use their bonus action to perform a powerful aoe attack. They are reasonably survivable, hit like a truck, and extremely mobile.

Out of Keyword Models of Note
(Costs include any surcharge)

Toshiro the Daimyo, 10ss
This model seems tailor made for Kirai. He heals a friendly model for 1/2/3 as a bonus action, while also granting them Focused +1 (helpful for getting Spirit Barrage or Weigh Sins kills off). Kirai will also have no shortage of powerful Minion models for him to support with extra attacks and positive flips to melee attack rolls. His Reliquary is also cumulative with Vengeance, which can make attacking a model with melee attacks a risky prospect.

Manos the Risen, 10ss
He is a mobile, resilient objective runner with Leap. Seishin, summoning, and rampant healing mean having him Siphon Power to get Masks easy. His Reliquary also makes another choice model, such as Kirai or Datsue Ba, nearly unkillable.

Archie, 10ss
Another objective runner. He trades a small amount of base mobility and sustainability for Bowl Over, built in Mask for Leap, and hitting much harder. While most Masters love having a friendly Archie around, Manos probably offers more to a Kirai crew specifically. You probably won't have the stones for both Manos and Archie, but both is a valid direction depending on whats going on.

Sloth, 7ss
He is a par model for 7ss normally, with a particular advantage against enemies crews that heal a lot. For Kirai, he allows a model to heal 3 in exchange for the Slow condition (which the Crew will have any number of ways of removing) while potentially allowing for more healing through sin tokens on the enemy. Notably, none of the Urami models are undead except for The Drowned and Jaakuna Abume, so he probably won't be handing out much in the way of Fast.

Nurse, 7ss
The Nurse addresses both Kirai's need for healing and her need for cards. A well timed "Right Tools for the Job" can pull a high value :crowout of the discard pile, including the one you just used in some situations. She also supplies some much needed healing and potentially Focus as a bonus action. While not particularly amazing, outside of supporting models she can do some work on the offense as well.

Crews

General All Comers
(For learning and/or flavor)

Urami Only

Kirai Ankokou
+2 Whisperer
Ikiryo
9 Datsue Ba
5 Lost Love
6 Seishin x3
16 Goryo x2
+4 Grave Spirit's Touch
= 42, 8 Stones

Urami and Friends

Kirai Ankokou
+2 Whisperer
Ikiryo
9 Datsue Ba
14 Nurse x2 (or Nurse + Sloth)
8 Seishin x4
10 Toshiro the Daimyo
= 43, 7 Stones

(Have to head to work, will come back to this later)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In my opinion, Kirai should be summoning Drowned at every opportunity. The Murder Ghosts ability on her summon upgrade gives them the Stun-and-Push trigger built in, and they're slow-moving to begin with but that can be mitigated if they're summoned into place. Goryo I think are fantastic with Grave Spirit's Touch, and thus should strive to be hired to their rare limit rather than summoned. 

Ikiryo's irreducible damage and onslaught triggers are awesome, and Vengeance I've found makes the toll for getting her off the table seem unworthy, considering she comes back without too much effort on Kirai's part. Also a decent Protected target, in a pinch. 

I will always take Lost Love in Kirai crews. The healing is great, the condition removal can be huge, and his By Your Side means that he's actually an effective scheme runner as well, porting around the map to drop schemes as appropriate. For 5 stones, it's a steal. 

A couple of Seishin I consider a must. Everyone needs to move, and a 2 stone model freeing up AP for other more important models to burn their AP doing whatever is big. The healing aura and expendable demise for card draw is just bonus. 

Hakuna Matata Jaakuna Ubume is just squishy and annoying enough (for the enemy) for me to not consider taking. Serene Countenance provokes focus-swing attacks which is also the weakness of Incorporeal, and without soulstones to mitigate the straight damage flip, death comes too quickly. 

Overall, Kirai has IMO one of the most powerful, well rounded kits in the game, without being unbeatable. 

I think you're bang on in most cases.  I would add that adding Kirai to a Molly crew is probably going to be quite strong.  The limit on summoning (2) with ikiryo is largely a non-issue and Molly can help with Kirai's card draw.  A crew I've been looking at:

Molly (Leader) (0)

Kirai + The Whisper (16+2)

Necrotic Machine (0)

Archie (9)

Crooligan (4)

Crooligan (4)

Nurse (7)

Seishin (3)

5SS Cache.

Seems to be well rounded and able to dish out a lot of damage once the engine gets going (ideally Ikiryo and a Goryo T1).

11 hours ago, crimzzen said:

I think you're bang on in most cases.  I would add that adding Kirai to a Molly crew is probably going to be quite strong.  The limit on summoning (2) with ikiryo is largely a non-issue and Molly can help with Kirai's card draw.  A crew I've been looking at:

Molly (Leader) (0)

Kirai + The Whisper (16+2)

Necrotic Machine (0)

Archie (9)

Crooligan (4)

Crooligan (4)

Nurse (7)

Seishin (3)

5SS Cache.

Seems to be well rounded and able to dish out a lot of damage once the engine gets going (ideally Ikiryo and a Goryo T1).

I had the very same list in mind and hope to give it a try soon! I have also tried an opposite list - Kirai as a leader, Molly as a second master - but the game lasted only two rounds, so I didn't learn much from it.

Lists by Strategy

Turf War

Kirai Ankokou
+2 Whisperer
Ikiryo
9 Datsue Ba
14 Nurse x2
8 Seishin x4
10 Toshiro the Daimyo
= 43, Cache 7

Seperate Kirai and Datsue Ba, each with two Seishin and one Nurse. Put Toshiro with Kirai. Ikiryo will be on flexible hunting duty. Flip Strategy Markers and get Kirai to the center of the board as soon as possible. Use summoning and Ikiryo to threaten the opponent's areas, while Datsue Ba plays defense. Remain extremely aware of how far away the opponent can Interact from, and as soon as a model is in range of your markers either redeploy/summon on top of it or choke the model. Activate Kirai late in the round and use summoning shenanigans to get the last or next to last activation so you can disrupt the opponent's marker placement with the odd murder--enemies with low health are almost more valuable to you than dead enemies.

Almost

Get summoned Goryo and Shikome out asap.

Plant Explosives

Kirai Ankokou
+2 Whisperer
Ikiryo
9 Datsue Ba
5 Lost Love
8 Seishin x4
20 Goryo + Grave Spirit's Touch x2
= 44, Cache 6

The key thing Kirai brings to this table is force projection. She can summon models up to 16" away without help. Lost Love granting Fast and Seishin/Datsue Ba granting movement only make that worse. Any unguarded Strategy Markers should get something summoned on top of it. You are trying to force the enemy crew to not put down more markers than it can sit models on top of, turning the match into a blood bath.

Also, you give markers to your Goryo and two markers to Lost Love. Lost Love uses By Your Side to teleport to a foward deployed Ikiryo or Datsue Ba (or Kirai in a pinch) to place Markers. I would put the last marker on either Ikiryo or Datsue Ba.

Increasing Seishin at the cost of Soulstone Cache is a difficult choice, and not one I'm confident in. However, the added ability to move your explosives carriers and models intended to interact with the enemy's explosives feels worth it.

-Alternative-

Kirai Ankokou
+2 Whisperer
Ikiryo
9 Datsue Ba
7 Nurse
5 Lost Love
8 Seishin x4
10 Manos the Risen
= 41, 9 Stones

This is largely adjustments to the list to get Manos in there, who is spectacular at this Strategy. Manos the Risen and Lost Love are your primary Explosives Holders, with Datsue Ba probably holding the fifth. The Nurse and high Soulstone Cache are there to help fuel Kirai's summoning engine.

Corrupted Idols

Kirai Ankokou
+2 Whisperer
Ikiryo
10 Manos the Risen
5 Lost Love
6 Seishin x3
16 Goryo x2
+4 Grave Spirit's Touch
= 43, 7 Stones

As the standard Urami lest, but replacing Datsue Ba with Manos. Manos and your two Goryo are objective runners with the necessary regeneration to survive movng the idols around. Summoning is primarily used to disrupt the enemy (The Drownd will be particularly useful). Summons definately add more opportunity to snag idols, but keep in mind summoned models can not interact the turn they are summoned, making them better suited for murder and disruption.

Slaughter

Kirai Ankokou
+2 Whisperer
Ikiryo
9 Datsue Ba
7 Nurse
7 Sloth
5 Lost Love
4 Seishin x2
10 Toshiro the Daimyo
= 44, Cache 6

This list has buckets of healing, while punishing the opponent for doing the same. This is also the strategy you are most likely to see unfortunate Demise abilities, so Datsue Ba is going to be doing some work.

Overall, Kirai is about punishing anyone who is even slightly overextended. Summoming plus Spirit Guide mobility means you threaten large portions of the field. Toshiro makes sure freshly summoned models can still bring enough force to bare to destroy the opponent's models.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

I had the very same list in mind and hope to give it a try soon! I have also tried an opposite list - Kirai as a leader, Molly as a second master - but the game lasted only two rounds, so I didn't learn much from it.

I'll be trying it tonight !

On a different note: 
How would you guys build Kirai on a budget? Summoning in 2E requried so many models, that I never got to playing her.. It seems a bit more manageable in 3E. 
I'm considering making a purchase of Crew box + Datsue Bae + Goryo + Gaki.  (I already have  nurses, which I can discern you guys love in this crew!) 

Is it feasible to 'only' have gaki/Onryo in the summoning pool? Or do you need Shikome/drowned as well? 

I would buy it in more or less the following order of priority:
$50 Crew Box
$21 Goryo
$30 Datsue Ba
$21 Gaki
$21 The Drowned
$16 Shikome
$16 Nurses
$16 Toshiro

(Note that the McMourning box set is more valuable in the long run than nurses, but not for Kirai)

It is playable at 50ss after the Goryo box, but it gets a lot more comfortable after Gaki.

• Thanks 1