Tournament Rules?

Kolath

Is there any consensus yet on tournament rules for ToS? Specifically around round-length, game size, missions?

We're gearing up to launch NOVA Open 2019 registration March 1, and are would like to run a ToS event this year. So curious to hear what other events are doing, what has worked, what hasn't.

-Owen

13 hours ago, Kolath said:

Is there any consensus yet on tournament rules for ToS? Specifically around round-length, game size, missions?

We're gearing up to launch NOVA Open 2019 registration March 1, and are would like to run a ToS event this year. So curious to hear what other events are doing, what has worked, what hasn't.

-Owen

I think the game was built around 2 commanders as "standard"?  As to game length, it's tough to say (I know locally we won't be able to finish a game even remotely close to the recommended timing).  Ballparking from Malifaux 2E, it said 60-90 minutes for a 50ss in the manual and tournament time is 120 minutes.   Two commander games are estimated at 90-120, so I'd say... 2.5 to 3 hours?  That puts it at shorter then 40K, but not a lot shorter then 40K.

It's balanced around both 1C and 2C games, but 2C's closer to Malifaux 50ss activation-count-wise so it's probably going to be considered the more "real" game size.  Game length is going to be hard to tell at this point with everyone still learning, but I did a 1C demo game last night with two brand new players and they finished a game including learning the basics in under 2.5 hours, so maybe half that for players who know their crews inside and out?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kolath said:

-Owen

For what it's worth, Adepticon (March 27-31) has two different types of events scheduled:

• 1 Commander TOS tournaments.  "3 Round, 1 Commander, Fields of Glory Event".  6.5 hours 
  • "Titan Smash" events listed as three hours with the description

What’s better than a giant robot, a hydra, a mechanical colossus, and a Aquatic monstrosity duking it out for glory? Nothing.
This event will have players bring their Titans out to bear as they fight for control of the arena.

I assume the Titan Smash event would have better ticket sales if more info about the event were released.  😐

I don't remember who it was, but I remember someone saying that they were planning on running one commander tournaments during the first several months to put backers and non-backers on a more even footing.