Last 6 SS- 2nd Investigator or 2 x Guild Guard?

thewrathchilde

I am struggling through the decision on my last 6 SS in a particular list (not counting what I am holding back for additional Stones). I am debating between adding a 2nd Guild Investigator or 2 x Guild Guard to my crew. Typically the decision would be pretty easy based on what tools I need for a specific game- for this game however, the scheme pool isn't something particularly marker heavy, there aren't any schemes that punish me for taking the Guild Guard. Here are the things I am considering-

Guild Guard- more wounds, armor, more activations & actions, more potential attacks....the key to me; the primary thing they provide, is activation control (potentially) taking my list up to 9 activations.  Of course they also provide a couple of more shots per turn or melee attacks, etc but mainly its wounds, activations, and two models the opponent has to target. They can also be another expendable source of activations to drop scheme markers for the other Investigator to push with. 

2nd Investigator- the second Investigator  primarily provides double the pushes and an additional card per turn. There are other things the Investigator provides- disguised, better stats than the Guid Guard, Just Act Casual- but primarily it it double the pushes from each scheme marker and an extra card per turn. With the second Investigator in the list I am still at 8 activations which is respectable though obviously 9 gives me one more look at the opponents turn 1 before anything critical of mine activates.

Thoughts, opinions? 

Alternately I have also though about a Queller instead of a second Investigator but I already have tools to deal with Armor and Incorporeal in my list and the Investigator is more reliable card draw than the Queller provides. @Ludvig, @4thstringer....we haven't had much discussion on here recently. what do you think?

It's pretty tricky to talk about it in complete isolation only knowing only that you have a single investigator in the list. I've pretty much accepted that I will be playing down in activations lately and started to just do a conservative turn 1. Later in the game it can be really helpful to be able to tie up enemy models with chaff (guild guard) but it depends on the enemy models, in a list with plenty of pushes and stuff to disengage I find the guard end up almost useless. Quality is more fun than quantity so I'd probably go with one of the excellent 6ss choices available to us because I think they generally give more value than the one extra activation. Out of a monster hunter, queller or investiagtor though... Far too tricky, I might go a second investigator if it made sense to the overall theme of the list.

5 hours ago, longfanz said:

Without knowing the rest of the list and the Schemes and strats is difficult to say but I'd think about a Monster Hunter

Thsnks. I already had two Monster Hunters in the crew. 

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

It's pretty tricky to talk about it in complete isolation only knowing only that you have a single investigator in the list.

I agree. I did that deliberately to see how the limited would affect the conversation thinking that some real tight constraints might focus the conversation on those choices instead of the rest of the list, Master, etc and bring some key points to light that I hadn’t considered. 

I've pretty much accepted that I will be playing down in activations lately and started to just do a conservative turn 1. Later in the game it can be really helpful to be able to tie up enemy models with chaff (guild guard) but it depends on the enemy models, in a list with plenty of pushes and stuff to disengage I find the guard end up almost useless.

I do the same if I am down activations. The Guild Guard help balance those pretty cheaply and are AP that I can use for menial tasks without feeling like I am wasting them. 

Quality is more fun than quantity so I'd probably go with one of the excellent 6ss choices available to us because I think they generally give more value than the one extra activation. Out of a monster hunter, queller or investiagtor though... Far too tricky, I might go a second investigator if it made sense to the overall theme of the list.

So I actually tried it out both ways- played two games- to see which did more for me.

Strategy was Ply (Standard), Random Schemes; my list was: Perdita w/Trick Shooting & Fastest Draw, Frank w/Wade In & Lead Lined Coat, Nino, Monster Hunter x 2, Guild Investigator 1, Brutal Effigy, and then Guild Guard x 2 and 4 SS in the first game and Guild Investigator 2 and 4 SS in the second game. 

Post games I am still split on what’s more effective. With the Guild Guard I had 9 activations so was able to wait out almost all his stuff first turn before opening up with Perdita with a full hand + 1 extra card from the Investigator. I had already softened some targets up in advance with other shooting before i activated Perdita. With the Effigy Buff up I drew 2 more cards and had eliminated 2 models (Beckoners) and was in a good position for turn 2 with a significant model, card, AP, and board advantage. The rest of the game snowballed from there.

Game 2 I played with the 2nd Investigator. The pushes from 2 x Investigators was awesome. 1 x Scheme Marker and pushing both Frank and Perdita was really good. The extra card each turn was pretty good too. I did miss the extra activation first turn but each turn this became less of a factor. 

I came away from the game mixed. I definitely liked the additional pushes for first turn but would have still been effective without them. The Guild Guard would have let me see one more activation before Frank and Perdita but the difference between seeing their 6th or 7th first isn’t that critical probably..... granted they are going to hold what matters for late but Perdita has the range to playbher game anyway usually unless it’s a full out rush on their part. 

It was the mid turns that there was a clear difference for me- with the Guild Guard I am usually forward using them for bait, to soften targets with a couple of damage, to deal the last wound on a HtK model, etc. With decent wounds and armor they are annoying to put down for their cost.

Wih the 2nd Investigator it really felt like I was just eating a scheme marker to draw, walking, dropping a scheme marker to push Frank or Perdita to a more optimal position. He only provided 1 extra card per turn but when the total is 3-4 extra cards per turn even without Hero’d Gamble it starts to add up. 

It is hard for me to weigh... the Guard x 2 did more on their own, the 2nd Investigator did more to augment the crew. 

In Ply for info the guild guards would seem like a liability to me. The opponent could use them to even out Ply for info so I would probably have preferred the elite variant. People may do ply very differently but I find that Perdita can use companion activations to get so much intel that the opponent gives up on the strat. The mobility granted by the investigators in that strat is also pretty great.