Where to find more lore for TTB?

SaveVersus

Hi,

I currently have the 2.0 Core Book and Under Quarantine (because I really like necromancers). I've only read the story from the Core Book so far and was wondering if the metaplot is available in other books, assuming there's an overall story that continues? Would I have to get some Malifaux books too?

The story in the core book reads more like a summary of a bunch of storyline tournaments (this character does X, this other character does Y, this other character does Z, and none of them feel related to one another), but I might be wrong.

I'm also a little confused by the Tyrants and the Grave Spirit, or the mythology, I guess. 

Look, "Malifaux" books are Masters-centered. And Masters are not the significant part of TTB adventures - their deeds are decorations of the Fated adventures. Some summary of the "Malifaux" plot is enough to use.

What you need is other TTB books - about Bayou, northern cities and the new one, about the redcoats. And some big "Penny Dreadful" tomes, maybe. You has "Under the Quarantine", so you can estimate the mass of details about the world in this books. They are useful and interesting for  those of players who know only the "Malifaux" plot (which is Masters-centered and pretty poor for details about simple folks).

13 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Look into the Breachside Broadcast, a podcast which tells the stories published in a variety of sources presumably in chronological order.

Thanks, I'll give it a listen.

8 hours ago, Nikshe said:

Look, "Malifaux" books are Masters-centered. And Masters are not the significant part of TTB adventures - their deeds are decorations of the Fated adventures. Some summary of the "Malifaux" plot is enough to use.

What you need is other TTB books - about Bayou, northern cities and the new one, about the redcoats. And some big "Penny Dreadful" tomes, maybe. You has "Under the Quarantine", so you can estimate the mass of details about the world in this books. They are useful and interesting for  those of players who know only the "Malifaux" plot (which is Masters-centered and pretty poor for details about simple folks).

My observation was just that, an observation. I'm not critiquing it in anyway; I'm used to it (the L5R CCG and Doomtown CCG were the same way back in the day). Since the story read as hero-centric stories, I figured that maybe the most current lore was located on the Malifaux-side.

If they're in the Penny Dreadfuls, that's cool. Is each one part of the metaplot?

Wyrd has really broken up a lot of its story across the board.  To really get the big picture you almost have to read everything and put together the puzzle yourself.  Now if you just want a current state of things Above the Law does give a pretty good look at how the city as a whole is doing, and how the Guild came to be, but does not give much else.

Not a ton of the mythology has been revealed yet.  Simply put the history Breachside has been buried for ages to the point that even the natives have forgotten great chunks of it.  Most of the stuff that people have gotten are a tidbit here, a tidbit there, and from there readers have managed to put together a rough outline of some things.  You will not find something that reads like a player guide explaining all the tyrants, who they were, where they are, and what they are attempting.  Nor will you get an exact account of what transpired in what manner.  The closest we have gotten has been the 2e TTB core book.  Other than that it is largely what you draw away from the hero centered stories and clues.  That said in those stories it does not help that the few people that can answer a lot in the fluff in that world are highly opinionated and secretive *Titania is a prime example*.

Not each one, but "Nythera"

My point was about that "Malifaux" is centered on Masters' deeds, and TTB is about (un)common folks and their problems. Fated CAN be a part of metaplot (like in "Nythera") but their ways are simpler. Fatemaster needs less details about Masters' deeds (those are mostly secret things) and more details about everyday life in the city, because that is the most significant part of Fateds' life.

Reading "Malifaux" books is not necessary but you can do it for descriptions. For example, it seems that Fated will never visit General-Governor's office, but they can visit some high class clerk's office, and Fatemaster will describe it similar to the Governor's one and Fateds' convoy will say something like "That dude want to copy the General-Governor's style, heh. Good luck with that".

Of course, you can run adventures about being the part of the official story. But it seems that it will limit the choices for players.

The new guild book "above the law" gives a very strong insight into the setting. considering it's malifaux government and is pervasive in daily life, I'd say it's a must read. Also the monster manual sections of all the TTB expansions is diaries and adventures from emiline bellerose written sort of like an expedition journal.  Lastly the penny dreadfuls are good set pieces and cool ideas for things in malifaux even if they can be lackluster adventures.

Ps

dont forget to check out wyrd chronicles the monthly? web-zine usually has a story or two about malifaux. 

best of luck to you in finding lore!

4 hours ago, EnternalVoid said:

Wyrd has really broken up a lot of its story across the board.  To really get the big picture you almost have to read everything and put together the puzzle yourself.  Now if you just want a current state of things Above the Law does give a pretty good look at how the city as a whole is doing, and how the Guild came to be, but does not give much else.

Not a ton of the mythology has been revealed yet.  Simply put the history Breachside has been buried for ages to the point that even the natives have forgotten great chunks of it.  Most of the stuff that people have gotten are a tidbit here, a tidbit there, and from there readers have managed to put together a rough outline of some things.  You will not find something that reads like a player guide explaining all the tyrants, who they were, where they are, and what they are attempting.  Nor will you get an exact account of what transpired in what manner.  The closest we have gotten has been the 2e TTB core book.  Other than that it is largely what you draw away from the hero centered stories and clues.  That said in those stories it does not help that the few people that can answer a lot in the fluff in that world are highly opinionated and secretive *Titania is a prime example*.

Thanks. It felt kind of hodge-podge based on the 2e core book, like the lore was stitched together after the tyrants were made, but stuff being lost to history makes sense and horror is best when stuff is unknown.

4 hours ago, Nikshe said:

Not each one, but "Nythera"

My point was about that "Malifaux" is centered on Masters' deeds, and TTB is about (un)common folks and their problems. Fated CAN be a part of metaplot (like in "Nythera") but their ways are simpler. Fatemaster needs less details about Masters' deeds (those are mostly secret things) and more details about everyday life in the city, because that is the most significant part of Fateds' life.

Reading "Malifaux" books is not necessary but you can do it for descriptions. For example, it seems that Fated will never visit General-Governor's office, but they can visit some high class clerk's office, and Fatemaster will describe it similar to the Governor's one and Fateds' convoy will say something like "That dude want to copy the General-Governor's style, heh. Good luck with that".

Of course, you can run adventures about being the part of the official story. But it seems that it will limit the choices for players.

Thanks. Nythera looked like it would be an important adventure. I assume The Burning Man would be another one.

How are the Penny Dreadfuls in general? There was this old RPG, called Tribe 8, which I enjoyed, but one thin g I didn't like was that the adventures were written in a way that it didn't feel like the players made an impact, like epic things happened, but they happened to important NPCs and the players were just along for the ride.

3 hours ago, Merchant said:

The new guild book "above the law" gives a very strong insight into the setting. considering it's malifaux government and is pervasive in daily life, I'd say it's a must read. Also the monster manual sections of all the TTB expansions is diaries and adventures from emiline bellerose written sort of like an expedition journal.  Lastly the penny dreadfuls are good set pieces and cool ideas for things in malifaux even if they can be lackluster adventures.

Ps

dont forget to check out wyrd chronicles the monthly? web-zine usually has a story or two about malifaux. 

best of luck to you in finding lore!

Thanks. I was planning to get Into the Steam next, because after necromancers I wanted to see cyborgs. I'll look out for the zines.

• Like 1

In the Penny Dreadfuls’s ive read, a lot of the things that happen, happen to the Fated. Even in the adventures that aren’t about the fated in the grand scheme, the fates do have opportunities to make serious impacts through seemingly small things (a great example being Northern Aggression)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

In the Penny Dreadfuls’s ive read, a lot of the things that happen, happen to the Fated. Even in the adventures that aren’t about the fated in the grand scheme, the fates do have opportunities to make serious impacts through seemingly small things (a great example being Northern Aggression)

That's cool.

I also saw something called Obsidian Gate?

1 hour ago, SaveVersus said:

Thanks. It felt kind of hodge-podge based on the 2e core book, like the lore was stitched together after the tyrants were made, but stuff being lost to history makes sense and horror is best when stuff is unknown.

Part of that has to do with it continuing the story from where 1.5 left off. I had no idea WTF was happening when I read the 2e book for the first time. I've since gone back to 1.5 and started from there, though this information about the rest of the publications is cool and helpful.