Getting the gremlin urge.

lexicanium

I currently play Ten Thunders (Asami, Brewmaster and McCabe). I took a bit of a plunge into Neverborn and found them not to my taste, I loved their tricks and thoughtful play opportunities but I find the excessive reliability a tad mundane (lots of high attack stats and things that don't even require a duel). 

Hence my interest in Gremlins, I like the idea of a faction with lower reliability and fun moments of unexpected kills etc. I just worry that maybe they are simple and whacky. Can gremlins still give that experience of trickery and thoughtful play? 

If it helps I am currently interested in Wong, Mah, Brewie, Ulix and possibly Ophelia.

I think Zipp might be the ticket but I heard he is kinda a NPE for my opponent. 

Welcome to the Bayou!

I mainly play Brewmaster, and I wouldn't really recommend him based on what you've said, despite him being dual-faction with Ten Thunders. Brewie can be a bit of an NPE as well - either he locks down a crew, or he gets stomped on. He's not super-competitive but he's fun enough to play - however, when he works well, it can be frustrating for an opponent.

If you're after a bit of weird randomness coupled with tricks and thoughtful play, with minimal NPE possibilities, I'd recommend either Ophelia or Wong.

Ophelia's crew box is pretty much a Gremlin rip-off of the Ortegas, complete with an exploding pyromaniac and with a damage-increasing Rams trigger for nearly everyone. Ophelia herself is pretty tricksy, but can put down a lot of damage. She can play a few different ways, too - there's a surprising amount of support and synergy in her crew.

Wong is blast city, and his Lightning Bugs are pretty nifty thanks to their Tinkering With The Unknown ability. He's even better with a few Swine-Cursed and the Ooh Glowy! upgrade (although you probably want to bring Sammy LaCroix with him).

Thanks, that's really helpful. I haven't found Brewmaster to be too NPE myself but that's probably because I mainly use him for obey, swill, pay up and binge (plus heals and moon shinobi pushes). I rarely try to play drinking contest style and his 2nd zero is really good imo.

I will look into getting ophelia first I think. She seems like a perfect balance of silly fun and puzzle solving.

I am a tad sad that both Ulix and Mah weren't mentioned, are they very straightforward in their approach?

Mah can be played as straight brawler or as support master pushing her crew around when necessary. And her card cycling is now very interesting. 

Ulix is played as summoner on t1/t2 and then he shoots his favourite pig in the enemy crew to make havoc and distraction. He is nowhere good as Somer but still a decent master.

• 2 months later...