Mass Base Creation - What Do You Prefer?

retnab

So when The Other Side comes out, I'm planning on using some sort of base-maker to help make all the bases.  I don't think I can really just purchase inserts because of how the Fireteam system works, and doing it all by hand is going to be exhausting (even just doing my Malifaux models takes ages and TOS is going to take way more time), so I'm down to three options I think and I would really appreciate feedback and suggestions from anyone who has used them.

So, the things I've found so far:

Happyseppuku Stamps

• Seems great!  Only 3x3" though, and because of the bases going up to 120mm (4.75-ish") I don't think it's going to work out.  Might try to make it work if people have really positive feedback though

Basius Pads

• Again something I've heard good things about, though they're definitely the most expensive option here.  Also, I can't find their webstore now, which is a bit weird?  Not sure they're worth the pretty high price tag but hey

GSW Rolling Pin

• I've heard nothing about these ones, but they're the ones I'm leaning the most towards just because of the good size, better price than Basius, and they still look pretty decent.  I'm especially interesting in hearing any feedback / stories about these ones

Something Else

• If you love something else I haven't found yet, please let me know!

My current plan is to use model railway flooring that I currently use for Malifaux bases, and use a circular cutter to cut the sections for the figures. I've got a raneg of textures including cobbles and flagstones as well as planks and dirt ground. 

But I've put almost no extra effort into working out if it will work beyond already cutting circles out of the plastic. 

• Like 1

Well the only ones of those I have tried are Happy Seppuku's but they are what I use on my Malifaux figures.  I generally am still using my old Flagstone from before they updated their line but I have a couple of the new molds.  One of my friend has been using the Asian themed ones for his 10T.  That said I am a fan of their stuff *Eventually I mean to try out all the newer molds I have better*.

On that note, they do have a 6"x6" option as I got one for terrain, that would be big enough to handle larger bases, though they only have like 5 to 6 options for that size but it might be worth looking at as they are like 12 bucks. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 7:44 PM, EnternalVoid said:

On that note, they do have a 6"x6" option as I got one for terrain, that would be big enough to handle larger bases, though they only have like 5 to 6 options for that size but it might be worth looking at as they are like 12 bucks. 

I didn't even notice they had 6x6" options, that's perfect!  Think I'm going to grab the Brick or the Flagstone one, thanks :D 

On 22.8.2017 at 1:40 AM, retnab said:

So when The Other Side comes out, I'm planning on using some sort of base-maker to help make all the bases.  I don't think I can really just purchase inserts because of how the Fireteam system works, and doing it all by hand is going to be exhausting (even just doing my Malifaux models takes ages and TOS is going to take way more time), so I'm down to three options I think and I would really appreciate feedback and suggestions from anyone who has used them.

So, the things I've found so far:

Happyseppuku Stamps

• Seems great!  Only 3x3" though, and because of the bases going up to 120mm (4.75-ish") I don't think it's going to work out.  Might try to make it work if people have really positive feedback though

Basius Pads

• Again something I've heard good things about, though they're definitely the most expensive option here.  Also, I can't find their webstore now, which is a bit weird?  Not sure they're worth the pretty high price tag but hey

GSW Rolling Pin

• I've heard nothing about these ones, but they're the ones I'm leaning the most towards just because of the good size, better price than Basius, and they still look pretty decent.  I'm especially interesting in hearing any feedback / stories about these ones

Something Else

• If you love something else I haven't found yet, please let me know!

Not tried Basius, but I use Happyseppuku and GWS rolling pins for all my bases and terrain. The pads are a bit more hassle to get a good print off, but looks great. The rolling pins are much easier to use, but might leave some striations from the way they are produced which may or may not need a bit og clean up. When I use the rolling pins I usually brush over the surface quickly with sandpaper to round out any edges, and tend to use a layer of mr. Surfaced levelling primer before painting. Looks every bit as good in the end, and much easier and quicker in the long run...

T.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions :) How much of a hassle would you say they are?  They definitely do seem a bit more wobbly than the pins.  I hadn't thought of striations, sandpaper seems like a good call there.  Does it get very bad from what you've seen of the pins?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, didn't see your question before just now...

Not that much of a hassle. But I bought a Setts Happy Seppuku mat, adopted for pretty much all my bases, tried a rolling pin from Green Stuff World and promptly ordered a dozen more...

With the mat I need to be careful about the clay mix (50/50 green stuff is to hard, I used 50/50 vs mixed 50/50 with magic sculpt diluted with water) and be very precise with the amount of clay (too much and it gets blurred, too little and O won't get a proper print) and the pressure (must be even, not too much and not too little). In most cases I just accepted that I'd redo some bases over each time, and I'm the end they'd good enough for me to be very happy.

With the rolling pin I just roll it once and it's good. I have some distancing rings to ensure the proper height, and you can manipulate the level much easier. The downside is slightly more fix-up with sandpaper...