Arcane Effigy + Kandara: Janky gimmick or cool combo?

WWHSD

With the GenCon preview up I started thinking about Kendara. As a Gamin that has Regen + 2 she seems like she's made for sunmoning Banasuva.

She is however expensive enough that I'd worry about her getting jumped before she can activate and heal so I was looking for a way to miigate that risk. I decided to look through the models that Sandeep could bring in his crew that had Accomplice. Arcane effigy has it, he's cheap, and he brings condition removal so he's not just there to Accomplice.

In a round that you want to bring put Banasuva have Arcane Effigy activate and use and ability via Beacon, cheat in a Tome if you need to. Then have Sandeep discard to take an action. Have him summon Banasuva within 6 inches of Kandara and have her take the damage. After the Effigy's activation have Kandara accomplice and heal when she activates.

So, does this seem like something that will actually be worth doing? It's potentially going to take 3 cards (one to summon Banasuva, one for Sandeep to take an action, and maybe one to ensure that you get a Tome), dictate your activation order to some extent, and make it more likely that you'll be out activated (or less able to take advantage of out activating your opponent).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, retnab said:

It's something I regularly do without Kandara and I can confirm it's very successful.  Effigy into Student of All into Banasuva immediately attacking is very nice :D 

...and considerably less complicated than some of the stuff I've pulled. I'm pretty sure that if I ran a paradox list under Sandeep outside of a tournament, I'd have opponents not wanting to play again. Unless, of course, they asked to see what the first turn of Sandeep could look like.
Of course, that's because of the AP and activation shenanigans..

Paradox: Arcane Effigy and Emissary in the same crew at the same time.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lokibri said:

Just a short question: Couldnt you also remove the slow from Banasuva with the effigy?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. It's a condition and there's nothing in the rules block about summoning (Core pg. 51) that says that it can't be removed.

Swapping a point of AP from a 4 point model to a freshly summoned Banasuva is awesome. That makes it worth bringing along the Effigy even if you don't have Sandeep summon with AP from "Student of All".

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lokibri said:

Just a short question: Couldnt you also remove the slow from Banasuva with the effigy?

Yes, you can if you need to. It depends on how Banasuva got into play and what his limitations are (for instance, with Commands: immune to slow, but can't cheat vs. extended range, but can't move/push). A non-slowed melee master with 3" reach appearing in the middle of your line that can cheat its flips and copy abilities is nasty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jinxs said:

I have probably missed it but what does Kandara do?

If nothing changes from the beta test:

- She's a Gamin
- She can shoot or charge while engaged and is immune to disengaging strikes
- Her close attack doesn't have a great damage track but has a trigger that gives an extra damage flip on severe damage and one that allows her to place a friendly Gamin.
- She has a shooting attack with a weak damage track that allows her to place on severe damage and has a built in trigger for an extra damage flip on severe damage. 
- She has Regeneration +2
- She has two zero actions. One allows her to discard one of her upgrades and move an upgrade from a friendly Gamin to herself. The other allows her to discard an attached upgrade and equip one of her limited upgrades.
- She has two limited upgrades. One gives a :-fate to attack flips that target her. The other gives :+fate to her damage flips and burning to models that she damages.

One of the obvious uses for her is to allow Sandeep to summon more than 3 Gamin. It takes her two zero actions to do so and she needs to lose her limited upgrades for a bit to cycle out Sandeeep's Summon's upgrades. It's not going to turn him into a Nicodem or Ramos type summoner but might allow Sandeep to hit 4 or 5 summons on the board a bit later in the game. The upgrade cycling is probably going to be most useful for those times that you'll want to summon Banasuva the next turn but the only upgrade Sandeep has left to summon with is the one that stops you from attacking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2017 at 9:24 AM, Lokibri said:

The biggest problem you will have with this is that the effigy has a 1" limitation on its removal ability. So it limits where you can put Banasuva when summoning him and since a lot of the time I put the extra melee no walk upgrade on him, that's a bit restrictive. Still, if you can do it, the trick is fun. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 9:22 AM, Mrbedlam said:

1" limitation on its removal ability.

Effigy has a 2in range on the condition removal. Still restrictive, but a bit better. The main difficulty is doing the full combo of steal Sandeep ability with tome>Student of all summon Banasuva (so a gamin in 6 in too)>cleanse slow>chain into Banasuva. Needs a lot of pre-positioning, but it often surprises people.