Mah Tuckett Pig Missile

Math Mathonwy

That's really amusing, I ran a Pig-Mah list for three of the games at the ITC, of which I scored two wins. I had a less reliable, more aggressive version based around:

Mah - Know the Terrain, Pork Whispering, Do Over

Old Major (corn husks if needed for schemes)

War Pig - One Pig against the world

Either The Sow or Gracie with Saddle

For Gracie, I also took Francois, otherwise I once took a taxidermist (because making pigs fly is hilarious) and mixed up Stuffed Piglets/Piglets for schemes.

My plan begins with the Hog Whisperer walking forwards and using Sooeey to get the three big pigs forwards, Major in the middle (after the dead activations to start). Mah then Horrible Holla's/Let Mah Handle This to get the three of them positioned better, Old Major can then nudge if I want/Mah didn't manage it and give a suit (Grace + Rams = Awesome.). Then, at the end of Turn 1 I either launch in The Sow and the War Pig, both on ++ flips to attack and damage from Old Major's aura and their own abilities, or I send in the War Pig, trundle Gracie close after a reactivate and send in Francois. 

It worked in two games, I ate Asami activation 1 of turn 2 (and then Grace tanked like a boss, healing from 2 wounds, then 1 wound to full thanks to eat your fill) and also against Colette in a Collect The Bounty game (hooray for stompy minions!). Failed against Reva because I didn't want to telegraph the move and pre measure, leaving the War Pig out for a T1 charge (he did then tank two full rounds of attacks from Reva and still live for someone else to kill!). 

It was an absolute blast to play and I'm now pondering a Wong based version using Trixie and maybe a Swinecursed for early pushes.

• Like 2

Nice. I like the threat of pigs. Have you looked at wild boars with their from the shadows allowing them to start part way up the field.  (also the same damage as the warpig at a cheaper cost).

I hadn't really looked at Mah for running pigs, looks like I need to expand my ideas. 

• Like 1

Yeah I think you might be onto something with a piggy Mah list. I know fixating on her Ram Chore is a good way to get screwed over when you can't flip it for initiative, but Ml5 Piglets sound pretty nasty. And I guess Horrible Hollerin' and Let Mah Handle This are both pretty great for pulling pigs out of engagement so they can charge again for an extra attack. Gonna have to give piggy Mah a try sometime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

but Ml5 Piglets sound pretty nasty

Ml4 can work just fine if you have + flips, it's not like you're looking to cheat the damage. Almost had one give Reva slow thanks to hitting a tome, still made her use a stone to prevent damage.

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

but Ml5 Piglets sound pretty nasty

Ml4 can work just fine if you have + flips, it's not like you're looking to cheat the damage. Almost had one give Reva slow thanks to hitting a tome, still made her use a stone to prevent damage.

8 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

Oh yeah of course! It's actually part of why I rate the Mechy P a bit better than most, those :+fates to attack are pretty nice! Of course, you can always have both :D

I'd rather spend the extra stones for Old Major. + to damage for The Sow means I'm cheating on a draw, and cheating in a 6 or 7 for 5 damage is crazy levels of good.

Pig Mah Tucket is fun, but lacks the tools to deal with most of pigs weaknesses.   Bigger pigs that can deal damage (The sow, porkchop, boars, etc.) All lack survivability and Mah doesn't have any real way to bring that.  Slop haulers will find themselves unable to keep up with the pigs charging, thus forcing you to rely solely on eat your fill and crow triggers for healing.   And without somer or Old Major, reliably getting crows is significantly harder.

On the other end of the spectrum, your smaller pigs (piglets and stuffed) aren't really going to be accomplishing much in the damage department, even if they are ML 5.   Regular piglets aren't really good at their support role on their own, wanting old major's Corn Husks or Somer's Suits or Ulix's summoning (or all 3 if you can swing it.)   And stuffed just... well, their melee attack has never been their threat (although ML 5 to prevent units from just walking away is nice.)

Basically, it forces mah to run an Alpha strike list (Which is what the above list is)  Throwing in as many big powerful pigs as she can and charging them into enemy lines hoping to kill anything that could kill them back.   Which I've found to just not be that likely.   You'll have spent too many cards getting the slingshot off, your opponent will likely still have a full hand, and there are a plehtora of enemy models in most factions that can survive a full charge attack from the sow, only to turn around and murder it in response.

Fun?   Yes!   Capable of winning you games?  Almost certainly!   Will it win you MOST Games?  Absolutely not.

(Somer pigs is ALSO a hilariously fun list, and I'd recommend you try it.)

10 minutes ago, Tayne said:

I'd rather spend the extra stones for Old Major. + to damage for The Sow means I'm cheating on a draw, and cheating in a 6 or 7 for 5 damage is crazy levels of good.

Nothing stopping you from taking them both :P

but they're fairly different models in fairly different roles imo, and the bonus for Mech Porkchop is a little easier to set up imo because you only need to charge from within the aura, not begin your activation within it. That does mean any extra generated charges aren't getting the :+fates, but it does let you make use of Pigcharge by taking a walk with your first AP to get in range for the aura. Plus Old Major is fairly card hungry, while the Mech Porkchop is pretty card-neutral. One of the easy to overlook benefits of high stats and Bayou Two Card :D. And of course, in a Mah list I'd be inclined to dump a good old Burt or something in there, so Mah and Burt can make use of the positives too. In a pure pig list there's no contest, but I am quite fond of the mech porkchop.

3 minutes ago, codingCaptor said:

On the other end of the spectrum, your smaller pigs (piglets and stuffed) aren't really going to be accomplishing much in the damage department, even if they are ML 5.   Regular piglets aren't really good at their support role on their own, wanting old major's Corn Husks or Somer's Suits or Ulix's summoning (or all 3 if you can swing it.)

I don't think damage is really the point of Piglets, it's just a nice bonus, but I guess I rate them differently because I figure if they're there they're already doing their job by not being dead. Moving from 4 to 5 is a pretty big milestone, it puts you at a slight advantage vs average defense. It doesn't really matter which trigger you get imo, because they all tie into disruption.

• Like 2

On 2017-5-23 at 3:20 PM, Dogmantra said:

Nothing stopping you from taking them both :P

but they're fairly different models in fairly different roles imo, and the bonus for Mech Porkchop is a little easier to set up imo because you only need to charge from within the aura, not begin your activation within it. That does mean any extra generated charges aren't getting the :+fates, but it does let you make use of Pigcharge by taking a walk with your first AP to get in range for the aura. Plus Old Major is fairly card hungry, while the Mech Porkchop is pretty card-neutral. One of the easy to overlook benefits of high stats and Bayou Two Card :D. And of course, in a Mah list I'd be inclined to dump a good old Burt or something in there, so Mah and Burt can make use of the positives too. In a pure pig list there's no contest, but I am quite fond of the mech porkchop.

I don't think damage is really the point of Piglets, it's just a nice bonus, but I guess I rate them differently because I figure if they're there they're already doing their job by not being dead. Moving from 4 to 5 is a pretty big milestone, it puts you at a slight advantage vs average defense. It doesn't really matter which trigger you get imo, because they all tie into disruption.

This just raised a question in my head: If you have a pig start its activation and charge from within mech porkchop and old major's auras, will it get :+fate:+fate (from both auras)?

That is a super expensive combo, but a mighty impressive one! I do like mech porkchops for how autonomous they are, but I never considered using them along with old major

22 minutes ago, cfrag said:

This just raised a question in my head: If you have a pig start its activation and charge from within mech porkchop and old major's auras, will it get :+fate:+fate (from both auras)?

Yes. I've had it happen before because I enjoy using the Porkchop to summon off - it's the cheapest 50mm pig, is generally very card neutral and has Wk6 so its first activation is walk (dragging Ulix) -> scheme marker for a War Pig. It's impressive how much damage a piglet can do when it's at :+fate:+fate to attack and :+fate to damage... A War Pig even more so!

I probably wouldn't take both with Mah, but I'm not sure which one I would take. The :+fates to charge for someone like Burt sound pretty tasty in a hybrid type list, but then if you're going more piggy like Math you'll probably want Corn Husks and An Eye on the Little Uns

• Like 4