Opinions on TOS table size?

ChoriQueso

47 minutes ago, JimO said:

This is my main concern.  It's not a huge deal, but you're effectively going to be playing on a 3x6, with 6 inches of "stuff" per player on the edges.  I suppose calling it a 4x6 allows the deployment zone to push up toward that realistic 3x6 without having to do weird things like deploy right on the back edge.  

I get that it allows the use of a standard table. But I do like the idea of a 4x4 so I've got a foot of space for tokens/cards/etc.

Why would both players need 6 inch by 4 or 6 feet worth of space for "stuff"? Unless both players brought their pets, beer, snacks and coasters you should do more than fine ;) I have played several games on several 4x6 boards and never found finding a spot to keep my stuff a problem, not in over 14 years. Even cards hard sleeves/toploaders produced for shipping cards are just 3" by 2" and as is seen in the intro you generally do not need that many cards as a lot of the interactions, damage tracks and 'Unit improvements' are part of the game, by removing models, flipping cards and general effects that also act as terrain. 

The beauty of an army game in progress is that generally the flanks of the tables are used the least because being in the center with your key models grands you the most advantage out of good threat ranges, as you then are capable to react in the best way possible to unpredictable opponents. As such I can assure you a 4x6 table is sufficient for double Commander games and 4x4 is perfectly fine for single commander games :D 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

Why would both players need 6 inch by 4 or 6 feet worth of space for "stuff"? Unless both players brought their pets, beer, snacks and coasters you should do more than fine ;) I have played several games on several 4x6 boards and never found finding a spot to keep my stuff a problem, not in over 14 years. Even cards hard sleeves/toploaders produced for shipping cards are just 3" by 2" and as is seen in the intro you generally do not need that many cards as a lot of the interactions, damage tracks and 'Unit improvements' are part of the game, by removing models, flipping cards and general effects that also act as terrain. 

The beauty of an army game in progress is that generally the flanks of the tables are used the least because being in the center with your key models grands you the most advantage out of good threat ranges, as you then are capable to react in the best way possible to unpredictable opponents. As such I can assure you a 4x6 table is sufficient for double Commander games and 4x4 is perfectly fine for single commander games :D 

Wait, you play without your pets? :D  In the intro I see unit cards and fate decks ~1.5" up from the 4' board edge longways. Standard poker cards are 3.5" tall, which would put them right at 5" into the board on either side. :)  They're also playing without any token-tackle boxes, measuring/movement widgets, etc. that we know we'll be bringing.  Maybe "concern" is too harsh a word...it's not the end of the world...I've done it before in 40k & Warmachine.  You just have stuff on the board and shuffle things around if you need to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimO said:

Wait, you play without your pets? :D

I try to play without pets ever since a long haired cat sat on my McCabe crew and I consequently lost chain wastrel for three weeks. :P

It's interesting that people who chose Malifaux for their first minis game don't internalize the idea that the game surface is also the cards' staging area. I see it happen also with the other games we host on our 6'x4' but it never seems quite right to me.

(Also, as host, from experience, having flimsy fold-away tables at the sides of the room is not the panacea. Use something sturdier, like a chair, or get ready to spend time apologizing and gluing.)

• Like 1

Having stuff on the center of the table/play area has one massive advantage and thats being crystal clear results for both players, for me this is always of the utmost importance even if it would look more tidy if both players had a personal area outside of the board where they keep their stuff. :)

Nothing is more anoying for me than having to ask for flip results over and over because you cannot clearly see it. ;)

7 hours ago, JimO said:

I get that it allows the use of a standard table. But I do like the idea of a 4x4 so I've got a foot of space for tokens/cards/etc.

Agreed on this. My FLGS is a rather small place, but they  have a 4 x 8 table et up in the middle of the so we can get two 4x4 games on it.

Mind you, if the app tuns out to be a useful enough tool, that will take up less space than the cards. And depending on how big the tokens are, a small Plano box might handle that nicely.