Jorogumo; Thoughts on Model Transport?

LuckyLuke

Hey gang!

I have my Jorogumo and they are giving me a huge problem, fragile as nothing else and larger than their bases. 

How do you transport them and do you have any tips for doing so or where to get transport containers? I use the malifaux bag for almost all other minis but it seems a little harsh on fragile bits like Lucas' whip arm and my guild guards. So how do we transport them?

Tablewar cases are the way to go.  They're completely modular, so you don't to worry about buying new foam when new models come out.  The models are secured using magnets, so there's no pressure on fragile bits.

You can put a sheet of metal in the bottom of the slide out trays, and then glue rare earth magnets in the bottom of your models' bases.  Another option is to cut out a cardboard bottom for the pullout tray, and cover it with a magnetic sheet that you can get at Walmart or Michaels for a couple of bucks.  The connection isn't as strong, but it's surprisingly strong for light plastic models.  I have almost the entire Ten Thunders faction in the half size case and I still have room to spare.  I can fit the Shadow Emissary and Jorogumo on a shelf and still have room for another shelf in there. 

http://www.tablewar.com/categories/Cases/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LuckyLuke said:

My main issue for most models is that I have solid bases like Zen and Town Square. These cannot be magnetized. 

You can take a dremel and make a spot to put the magnet under them. TBH, I've always been super happy just using KR cases, but the jorogumo and Shadowy Emissary are so large and oddly shaped that TableWar starts looking like a good option. These models are pretty, but if I was less invested in this game they'd have been a strong case for me not to bother with it, though.

37 minutes ago, MrDeathTrout said:

I use the magnet option for many of my oddly shaped models.  Jorogumo, Misiaki, Ama, etc.  Pretty much anything that doesn't fit in a standard "space marine sized" slot gets magnetized.

So I guessmy next question would be; where can I get a cheap metal box easy to carry between locations/tables? My GF is using an old puzzle tin but that lacks a carry handle

Just now, LuckyLuke said:

So I guessmy next question would be; where can I get a cheap metal box easy to carry between locations/tables? My GF is using an old puzzle tin but that lacks a carry handle

My friend uses one of those old metal lunch pails kids use for school, another uses a ammo box he got a costco.  I say take a look at your local hardware store and thrifts shop see what metal cases they have, you don't need anything fancy.  You can also get sheet metal, I found it with the "ductwork" stuff at my hardware store, and cut out pieces and glue it into any old box you want to use.

7 minutes ago, LuckyLuke said:

I bought from Gems on Display. Paid $35 for a soft carrying case and a bunch of 1.5 inch trays. I used a dremel to cut the bottoms out to combine them for a 3 inch tray. 

You could then use a tray to transport your models from table to table. 

This weekend I plan on glueing washer to my model bases and lining the trays with sheet magnet. 

https://www.gemsondisplay.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I glued a magnetic vent cover to the bottom of a plastic tool box.  They're flexible strips of magnetic something or other that you can actually cut with scissors.  I then glued metal washers into the bases of all my minis.  On the 30 mm bases, you can get washers that fit perfectly into the base.  It's less effective on metal minis, but works great for plastic, and gives the model a little extra weight.  The entire setup cost about $30.