Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

40 minutes ago, zeeblee said:

I remember a previous Zipp discussion which argued the presence/utilization of Earl had a stronger effect on crew composition than Zipp himself.

Zipp is the distraction like a good mosquito should be - Earl can get a lot done for his cost unless stopped

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Von Woozle said:

It's clearly not a good idea or a good crew, but go ahead no one will stop you :)

When I run Zipp, he runs pretty independently of his crew.  He's off doing his own thing, messing with the opponent, and my crew is killing enemies and helping me score points.  So any crew that I have that synergizes well together, even a little, is just a benefit while Zipp messes with the enemy.  I've only lost games with Zipp a couple of times, so so far I think it's working out fairly well.

I don't have a ton of experience trying to work in constructs, but I don't expect a lot out of Survivors.  They're 5 stone models.  I expect them to take a few shots with their gun or tie up some models before they go down.  However, if I throw in Sparks and have Earl around to assist in keeping them going, then it's a different story.  And I usually get good use out of the Whiskey Golem, even before his new upgrade.

37 minutes ago, Von Woozle said:

I'm sure you were the one dropping Earl not for building a crew around him.

I have done this and it works well if you play zipp a certain way, but this construct heavy concept will work fine using earl and zipp in a different way.

• Like 2

Whiskey Golem is a pain in the but to carry so gets much less use from me than I'd like blinking nightmare model is so cool, but very breakable. 

Survivors are one of the worst 5SS models in the game :(  

Yeah I think one of Zipp's strengths is his independence and he is fairly straightforward to play.  Somer is a great master with lots of options, but sometimes that can be a distraction.  

5 hours ago, Joel said:

What's so bad about a reckless model with hard to kill and a decent attack?

Reckless, hard to kill, armour and 2" melee all amazing 4" walk 4 4wounds and 5pts not so great.    Bugs are very versatile and slops are super for 5pts  Survivors would be a nice 4pt choice.

8 hours ago, Joel said:

Another game this evening, got sparks working well - his aura proved amazing and may have used I hadn't considered

I'm curious, could you elaborate more? :) why did you took him and how did you used him? I have my idea behind sparks but I never quite get the point of why I should pick him (the thing that kinda discourage me are the lots of TN, but by playing some neverborn and Tt crew, it's starting to fade out)

1 hour ago, EpicWaffle said:

I'm curious, could you elaborate more? :) why did you took him and how did you used him? I have my idea behind sparks but I never quite get the point of why I should pick him (the thing that kinda discourage me are the lots of TN, but by playing some neverborn and Tt crew, it's starting to fade out)

I'll try.

game was interference (standard) vs. Shen long on a board with a lot of severe terrain (the flood lands vassal map if you are familiar).  The scheme pool was

claim jump

Eliminate leadership

accusation

search ruins

inspection

i opted for accusation and inspection and took:

zipp (usual upgrades)

earl

2 iron skeeters (map and spotlight)

first mate (cap can't see, phe)

sparks (dc)

taxidermist (dc)

2 stuffed piglets

i paired one skeeter with taxidermist and the other with sparks.

the sparks/skeeter team spent the game making each other fast and tying up an opposing table quarter. The skeeter used his extra ap to make use of spotlight to make useful small pushes, and to move sparks around - engagement and sparks aura being important for this game. 

His aura prevented the Shen long crews emissary/low river monk card draw trick - and prevented some healing/pushing happening too.  Looking back, I think it could even prevent someone removing accusation from themselves, but I didn't have the range for this.

game ended at the end of turn 4 as it was midnight! Score was 6-1 at that point and would have likely ended at 8-1 or 8-2 if played out.

My opponent had taken claim jump and accusation - so first mate was on armour +3 ?

I got all my inspection points (and I dislike that scheme a lot) 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Joel said:

I'll try.

game was interference (standard) vs. Shen long on a board with a lot of severe terrain (the flood lands vassal map if you are familiar).  The scheme pool was

claim jump

Eliminate leadership

accusation

search ruins

inspection

i opted for accusation and inspection and took:

zipp (usual upgrades)

earl

2 iron skeeters (map and spotlight)

first mate (cap can't see, phe)

sparks (dc)

taxidermist (dc)

2 stuffed piglets

i paired one skeeter with taxidermist and the other with sparks.

the sparks/skeeter team spent the game making each other fast and tying up an opposing table quarter. The skeeter used his extra ap to make use of spotlight to make useful small pushes, and to move sparks around - engagement and sparks aura being important for this game. 

His aura prevented the Shen long crews emissary/low river monk card draw trick - and prevented some healing/pushing happening too.  Looking back, I think it could even prevent someone removing accusation from themselves, but I didn't have the range for this.

game ended at the end of turn 4 as it was midnight! Score was 6-1 at that point and would have likely ended at 8-1 or 8-2 if played out.

My opponent had taken claim jump and accusation - so first mate was on armour +3 ?

I got all my inspection points (and I dislike that scheme a lot) 

Sparks can be a real pain in the ass against Shen Long for sure. I'll give him a try and let you know, also because I'm kinda falling in the ''trap'' of having a sort of staple crew with Zip, and trying something new can for sure bring me benefits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joel said:

If I can remember it!!  Was there something specific?

Just your games in general - whom did you play, which factions/masters did you play against?

How did gg17 influence your games (I think it was your first gg17 tournament this year)?

Maybe a small write up about your games (I hope I'm not asking for too much here, just if you remember anything)?

Anything special to add from your side? :)

(you seem to be one of the most forum-active tournament players with a well known reputation, so please excuse all the questions, as I said, I'm a very curious person^^)

I'll give it a shot - and don't worry, I love questions! 

In the masters itself I didn't use gremlins but went back to neverborn for a variety of reasons, none of which had anything to do with Malifaux.  I drew my first game and then lost the next two, which eliminated me from day 2 of that event and put me into the side event the next day in which I used Zipp in all my games.

So day 1:

game one saw my lynch draw against opponent's marcus in headhunter. 6-6.  I was playing my clubmate and 2015 master and draws between us are common.

game two was my Pandora vs opponent's Somer.  This one only went to 3 turns and was 4-1 in the end.

from the gremlin side I saw nothing unusual - standard somer list doing the usual summoning tricks and a pigapult.

game 3 was my collodi against Shen long.  I took an early momentum swing, but my opponent kept his head and pulled back in the final activations to win 7-6.  Fun game, best of the three.

since game 2 was more gremlin focused, I'll try and elaborate a bit more on these games.

For this event I took gremlins and ran Zipp for all 3 games.  I ran the same list in the first 2 games and made 2 small changes in the last one. 

List for the first 2 games was:

zipp (diatribe gab hovering)

earl

taxidermist (dc)

gracie (saddle)

2 ronin

4 stuffed piggies

game 1 was interference vs McCabe (10t)

I took marked for death and accusation in this game.  However, of inderestimed the killing power of my crew and found I couldn't accuse anything! I got 0 for that scheme and all 3 for marked for death, as well as full points for the strategy.  Game ended 7-2.

Game 2 was collect the bounty against Sandeep.

i took frame for murder on taxi and tail em. 

My opponent made Carlos incorporeal and gave him armour too from his own burning and pushed him forward - so Zipp moved in and used "up we go" twice to bypass all of that and feed him to the taxi and Gracie, while Earl spotted him.  Earl spotted sandeep in turn 2 as well - zipp can get him into position so easily!  

Sandeep obligingly killed the taxi for my frame for murder and I matched his wind gamin slam with stuffed piggies. The game ended 5-1 to me.

last game was headhunter vs viks, and my opponent was another player who has been in the masters the day before.  I dropped Gracie for first mate here and one ronin for burt.  I chose leave your mark and undercover entourage as schemes.  I debated on putting the second scheme on the first mate as eliminate leadership was also in the pool, but kept it on Zipp.

my opponent had 2 trappers, but I'd drawn the RJ into my starting hand, so Zipp used the ram trigger on airship to get a straight damage flip and pancake one turn 1.  He did this again in turn 3 too...

first mate and Earl got the leave your mark points, I never picked up a head, and Zipp ended the game in the right place, but without most of his wounds due to a slingshot vik of blood with her own RJ damage flip as my opponent has gone for the eliminate scheme. Game ended 5-2 to me.

3 wins saw me in second, missing out on first by a single vp diff to my clubmate from the masters draw the day before.

• Like 2

I'm only a few games in with Zipp - and trying out some of the mischievous activities discussed on here - but so far I've found it surprisingly hard to find masks in my hand (literally none in first couple turns) and unfortunately my draw has been so generally poor that 9+ has also been rare when it comes to Taxidermin' Time. I almost always stone for cards, I think now I will try and find a space for Do Over. Diatribe hasn't worked for me so far, (I'm activating Zipp to use it so no mask from Earl anyways).

I could Merris for a couple extra chances but then I'm dropping precious cards back in deck - and usually I'm not too interested in activating her early. Unlikely to run Sammy. Want to try masky hit n run Zipp so no Cranky either. Any other card tricks I'm missing?

11 hours ago, Joel said:

Anna Lovelace for a rush of magic every turn? Have a bloodwretch hit a model for cards?  Lust's DF trigger?

Hmmm yes, Anna may well be recruited to Second Mate until the card tide turns once more to my favour.

Plus the odd summoned Mindless Zombie for walking corpse markers for a spot of Taxidermin' on the run might be fun.

Additionally handy, stop the pushes of Pandy, vortex the Candy and Cast Sorrows to shandy. Which is just dandy.