First game with Ulix tomorrow, looking for advice.

Anung Un Rama

First off, whats the point level? 30? And do you have a War Pig and more Piglets to summon?

At the moment you have Old Major, two scheme runners and two support models. Assuming you aren't going summon-heavy, I'd be tempted to take Corn Husks on Old Major, Penelope, more Piglets and some Wild Boars instead of Old Cranky, Merris and the Slop Hauler. Merris is a great scheme runner, but so are Piglets, and Wild Boars have From the Shadows for table quarters and so on - plus, with Piglets and Wild Boars you can tap into the Pig synergy, especially with Penelope.

I realise I've just said "completely redo your list!", but I think what you're going for is more suited to 50ss. I could be entirely wrong though, and it depends what upgrades you take!

Oh well, in that case, my first 50ss game with Ulix was identical to yours but I had Gracie and Burt and no Piglet. You've got loads of points to spare! You'll want another 50mm Pig, IMO, either Gracie or the Sow. What else do you have available?

RE: Your original questions, Dirty Cheater, Gremlin See and Stilts all work with Merris, but I tend to not give her anything. I use Dirty Cheater on Ulix and being Rare 2 I usually have a better model for it, e.g. Burt. Stilts saves her from a Ml attack, but you want to keep her away from melee in the first place. Gremlin See might be good if you're worried about Conditions, but, and to answer the second question also, I don't really have any experience against Guild, so I don't know how useful it would be.

For Ulix, Husbandry is a must for summons, and Dirty Cheater is great for healing - especially if you are using (0) Proper Care a lot and summoning War Pigs, which you will be! Finally, Hunting Bow is amazing - not only does it give Ulix something to do at range (besides his ridiculous 4" Ml attack), but making a War Pig stampede is amazing - especially as a (1). 

Old Cranky is an amazing totem for most masters but really gives you value with Ulix. The card draw for one. Staying near Old Major to give him positives to defense is good to as well as the potential of getting a stone if Ulix kills something with his bow or Old Major does some killing. Plus, scheme markers for Call forth the Pork!

Certainly not knocking Penelope. Her aura is great for controlling the pigs and increasing their walk. Her push action can be super useful too. And she's a 2 stone activation. I just think Cranky is better most of the time. 

Merris is great as well. A fast scheme running, card manipulator that can do a surprising amount of damage. I'd say the Ripples of fate upgrade I had mentioned in another post  (Pork whisperin') would be ideal for her in a Ulix crew. With her speed she could mitigate the pigs second biggest weakness (low wp #1), their need to charge.

With Corn Husks on Old Major you'd end up with a group of disciplined scheme runners that can be difficult to be pinned down, especially against gun heavy Guild. Piglets, more than anything else I have played, surprise the hell out of me every game. 

• Like 3

Well it was fun BUT...he played guild mcmourning who was in my face turn one ...I never really got off the back foot.....managed to summon a warpig and 2 piglets....warpig scared off mcmourning (had him down to 4 wounds)and Sebastian but not before ulix and old major were poison 10 and hanging by there fingernails on a few wounds....the sow was funny, knowing she needed to get involved in combat straight away I first turn charged her into two orderlies.....crappy flips including a BJ meant she was lacklustre and then he broughtin Doc Grimwell in an attempt to lobotomise my sweet sow....well a few failed terrifying checks over the game meant that the sow tore up grimwell wthout him getting a shot at her.....

Black Joker was a mean bitch this game. I flipped one attempting to sooey the warpig and ended up with old majpor, warpig and a piglet charging Ulix! Survived that but only by draining my hand down to two cards!!!

Overall fun game but I just couldn't get going and lost by 4 VP. Man I wish I could find some newby players like me so I can get my head around the game rather than feeling overwhelmed by what I face!

Cant wait to give them another go next week!

• Like 2

Oh jeez. Abilities like Sooey and making terrifying tests with crucial models make me sweat whenever I don't know where the Black Joker is. 

McMourning and company can be hard to pin down for set up unless you are heavily out activating with the pushes his crew can pull off. Maybe the other two schemes were potentially easier?

Overall fun game but I just couldn't get going and lost by 4 VP. Man I wish I could find some newby players like me so I can get my head around the game rather than feeling overwhelmed by what I face!

Have you tried Vassal?  Could be a way of finding other newbs like yourself (and myself, actually), with which to practice.  Not everybody likes the Vassal interface, but it gives you access to other players worldwide, if there are no other learners in your area.  There's a Malifaux Vassal group on Facebook, and you can post in the relevant section on here that you're looking to play/learn.

• Like 1