Falling from grac(i)e

Tawg

The threat title has little to do with my question, besides the notion of my decent into madness, if I ever delve into Gremlins.

But alas, here I am, asking you crazy Gremlins for advice.  The Promo this month is a Alternative Bayou Gator for shopping FLGS, so normally I try to hitch into a faction that would care about the promo model.

So my question is two fold, because I'm curious what the Gator does for crews (Or who's crew likes to have them), and thus which crew box is probably the best choice.

I actually have Brewmaster already, because.. 10T.  And I may have picked up the Ophelia crew once upon a time, but I have nothing else Bayou related.  My FLGS I go to currently has Sommer (sp?) and Zoriada boxes, but I'm really not sure.

I know Zoriada is a popular choice, and likewise Sommer.  Zoriada has some links to "swamp creatures" or whatever, but I don't know if that plays up much for her, between the two I honestly wouldn't mind picking up Zoriada.  Sommer on the other hand is probably the best pick to show off Gremlins being Gremlins (Effectively), but he's a bit less interesting to me.  I could ask them to order me other boxes, but Malifaux is unfortunately not terribly popular, so for the time being I'd probably rather pick up stuff they already have in stock.

So is that something that can work?

Oh, I just realized I have Gracie too.

Interestingly, since Gracie has Armor +2 she is surprisingly durable when falling.

Gators don't have much in the way of synergy with anyone. They can help McTavish shoot, McTavish can order them around with an Upgrade and McTavish or Zoraida can carry an Upgrade that lets them deploy From the Shadows but that's about it. Oh, and Mah can give them +1 Ml which they like since they are melee pieces. But that's about it.

Some people really like the Gators (Ml Expert on a 5SS Minion is pretty sweet) but I find them too squishy to be of much use. Oh, and Gremlin faction tends to have loads of synergy so models outside of that tend to need to be extra good in order to bring home the bacon.

I agree with Math, I believe they are kinda useless.

They might "beat" decently for 5 SS but they are insignificant ?!?!? and they are too fragile.

I've bought 3 but I believe I will never play them in a competitive game, I guess there is no reason to do.

If you want to play for fun, they are likely to be funny!  

I think that Bayou Gator's best use is in Zoraida's Neverborn crew in conjunction with Hexed Among You upgrade, which allows you to deploy it as if it had From the Shadows ability, and Bad Juju and it's Eternal Fiend upgrade.

Bayou Gator is a model that can't simply be ignored by your opponent. It's biggest drawbacks - being Insignificant and rather fragile - do not matter that much because it's sole purpose is to do as much damage as possible, die and unbury Bad Juju near your opponent.

The problem is that if you hire it via Zoraida's Enthrall ability it costs 6 SS.

Conclusion: A single Bayou Gator is a nice, though situational, addition to Zoraida's Neverborn crew.

I've been brutalized by Gremraida sporting McTavish with hexed among you, a gator and a couple of waldgeist who completely shut me into my deployment zone so I wouldn't say they're completely wasted. I probably wouldn't hire more than a single one though.

On 6/15/2016 at 5:19 AM, Phinn said:

Conclusion: A single Bayou Gator is a nice, though situational, addition to Zoraida's Neverborn crew.

Well, I ended up with Zoraida.

And if Gators are not terribly useful in multiples, then all the better that I got a single promo, than a set of three :P

• Like 1