Collodi, Too hard for a beginner?

Merellin

So, Me and a friend was suposed to start Malifaux months ago but things kept comming up so we couldent afford it, But things are clearing up now so we can get into the game soon! And so I once more started looking into what Master to pick.. And I always keep comming back to Collodi: Master of Puppets. I think the box looks awesome but I keep trying to look over at other boxes as I got the feeling Collodi is rather complicated and hard to use... And yet, I keep comming back to him.. So I decided to ask, Is he realy complicated and hard to use? Would he be too hard for a new Malifaux player who isent very good at miniature games but enjoy them? I love his model, And the other models in his box.

Hello! Welcome to the game :)

One of the greatest things about Malifaux is that every master is complex with layers of how they work in what situation. Sadly, this means that it is a bit tough to get into initially. Is Collodi more complex than others? Not overly I don't think. Yes, there are some more straight forwards masters (Rasputina, Wong and Lady Justice spring to mind) but they have plenty of depth to them too.

What I think is far more important in your choice is to pick someone you want to play, especially if funds are an issue. I personally love Collodi in both playstyle and aesthetics and from what you've said he certainly seems to be a good choice for you to start. I'd say go for it :)

I wouldn't say is that complicated. In fact, of the 4 masters I own (Pandora, Zoraida, the Dreamer and him), he is the most straightforward. I love him because he is a powerhouse, but I sometimes get tired of him because of that: when I choose him I feel I'm playing on autopilot. Now, Pandora... that's a master for the thinking (wo)man!

The main problem with Collodi is activation order and surviving blasts. The first game with him I was obliterated by Sonnia, and that was no fun. But as soon as you get a good supporting crew (I do great with 3 marionettes, a mannequin, a performer,  the brutal, lucky and arcane effigies as the base crew), and learn where to place them and when to activate each, your games will be a breeze. The most tricky part with him is to know when you want to bring your guys to the bubble and when you should split up. Do you want to activate him earlier to pass some buffs (I usually go for a Fated build) and cripple the enemy, or do you prefer to wait a little more to, let's say, kill the master, or place 4 unexpected scheme markers that'll give you 3 VP?

The thing is, most people see Collodi as a supporting master. And he is, but mostly in a passive way. He is also a big scary puppet. His damage track (2/3/4) doesn't look that impressive, but when you take in account that it is Ca 7, ranged 10", it has a + to damage, you can (0) to move 3" and give yourself fast.... you realize you are dealing 12 wounds per turn on average, which usually are coupled with burning, drawing, healing, slow and even some obeys. With his defense trigger, he is extremely mobile, as you can hit him with your own marionettes to send him 3" each. I often end the first turn with Collodi through the midline and having done some serious mischief. Also, because of his mobility, and paired (or not) with the mannequin, he can drop markers almost anywhere on the board, which usually comes out as a surprise for your opponent.

Then there is his resistance. He looks weak, with a low def and wound count for a master. But he can: kill his Personal Puppet to reduce the damage to 0; use soulstones as any other master; use all the healing from effigies; push and hide behind puppets/out of reach when he is targeted. So, once you get the hang of it, he is extremely durable. 

You might think that this "getting the hang of it" is the problem, that you have to become an expert to make him work. But that's not so. You have to learn his/your style, and you will probably have a hard time the first few games. But that's the bane of the Neverborn. Ours is a fragile, strategic faction. You go guns-a-blazing and you'll get wrecked. But while Pandora needs to create a favourable environment to work, and can't do much beyond martyr to keep her crew alive; while the dreamer lacks firepower and can get screwed by a bad draw; while Zoraida can be useless if there's nothing good to obey/bewitch around.... Collodi, on himself, can turn the tides of a game in just one activation. You have your 7 and your +, you have plenty of Ap. You can go wherever you want. If he is alive, he is going to do some harm. And when you start your turn with Lucky or Brutal, and you keep a Personal Puppet around, you know he will be alive. 

So really, don't worry about him being difficult to play, because I'd say that he is one of the most newbie-friendly Neverborn masters. Probably Lilith and Jacob are easier. I've not tried them. But, because Collodi is a very powerful master on his own, you don't have to be an expert to have fun and get good results with him. If you like him, get him. After all, what really matters is that you have fun and you enjoy the models you play with :)

• Like 1

There is so many Masters and crewboxes I like the looks off, Malifaux have very good looking models. But I always keep comming back to Collodi, He and his crew just look cool. I might very well end up chosing Collodi as my Master when me and my friend finaly get to trying the game. Thanks ^_^

• Like 1

Going for the 'easy' master to learn is defeating the purpose of the game. Every master plays differently. The trick is to find one that plays the way you want and learn it. Very few masters are easy to learn. Lynch and Lilith are often touted as the easy to learn masters of Neverborn, but even they have tricks and weaknesses you need to learn. If Collidi plays the way you want, buy him and learn him.

• 4 weeks later...

I return once more. It is finaly getting close to when me and my friend will order the Malifaux boxes, Even more so now that another friend has started the game with the two player starter box and I have been thinking and pondering a lot, And while I think Collodi is my favorite looking Master and Crew Box, I think Gremlins is my favorite faction. So I think I will go with a Gremlins Master for my first Master (Probably Ophelia) and then, If we continue playing I'l expand my gremlins, And at a later point I'l get Collodi. Thanks everyone, And sorry for flailing back and forth so much.

If u like specific Master why *preclud it? (sorry for my terrible english)

I have recently taken Collodi together with Lynch (Collodi is still to be assembled)

But i like it too aesthetically.

It could be frustrating at first play and always lose because you do not know how to use it; but personally i enjoy anyway even if i lose, and every time try to learn from mistakes..

Edited by TeddyBear
edit *precluding

I'm not quite sure what you mean with preclud, Sorry

I love the looks of Collodi and his crew, They seem awesome, And there is a few other Neverborn masters I like too (Lynch and Lilith and Lucius and the Dreamer) But I like Gremlins quite a bit too, And their units seem to be made out of pure fun.. But arg.. I just cant decide who to bring.. Malifaux have way too many nice looking models in too many factions.. I cant decide who to get.. xD

Maybe buying the big rule book with the fluff in it will help me decide by reading the fluff..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...