Hoffman - How does he play?

graeme27uk

I've made do with just having Howard Langston and the occasional steam arachnid, not the entire M&SU box. (The swarm is a beautiful idea but I haven't seen it 'work' yet. My opponents haven't tried to go within range of it once it's been looped to Ml7. A victory in a table-quarter strat maybe, but not proof of concept....) With the Miss Steps as last month's FLGS promo there should be more of that model available singly if you only want him around.

Sometimes I play with Arcanist Assets a lot because those models simply won't see table time otherwise. Sometimes I run pure Guild to remind myself what these constructs are supposed to be capable of at tiptop performance levels. Sometimes I write letters to the Malifaux Record about the false efficiency of running constructs with fuels and lubricants other than the types I specifically recommended for each type of joint, and how those constructs' "increasing inefficiency under duress" can be directly traced back to this penny-pinching practice, and if they ever published any of them the problems of lowered stats just may resolve themselves....

Been thinking a little more on the performer idea upthread, and while it still sounds fun, it only has 2" range over the 'Guild lure'. I want to go big or go home, and damn the suit requirement.

• Like 2

Well, then I strongly dissagree. Siren Call ignores cover, has 2" range, targets Wp and if you use Tyranny of Order you can actually paralyze the enemy and has a higher base value than Hunters harpoon.

And actually a Perfomer is something you might want to have buried unlike a Hunter.

3 minutes ago, trikk said:

Which "Guild lure" are you refering to?

Ludvig has it right. I'm sure I read it here before, that we don't give people the choice to say no, but force them to approach us, with chains. That's why our 'lure' has a good damage track, to model the wounds to the target's sense of self-worth. ;) But yes, true lures target Wp instead, and have real range, and so on.

Hunters :+fate to unactivated models evens it out somewhat vs models in cover and it slows even if you do it at the max range and without needing a suit which is nice. It's less good if copied.

The performer does have some distinct advantages as Trikk pointed out. I will never forget the turn when I had the 12 and 13 of crows in hand and got to paralyze Ryle AND Joss, not half bad for a 6ss model. The chain harpoon can't be shot into/out of engagements reliably either which is often a huge drawback. Copying the marker explosion from a performer could also be nice before going to town with the repeatable attack on the emmissary.