Beginner's Collecting Guide

The Rules Manual only contains the rules. The big book also has background material and cards for all the wave 1 models (about half of the range). So you only need the manual as you get cards with the models with the exception of the generic upgrades, those are only in the big rulebook and the generalist upgrade deck. If you have old models from the previous edition you can get print on demand cards for them from wargamevault.

You can use a deck of playing cards as long as it has two distinguishable jokers. There are is a guide which suit is which in the rules, but it will slow down play a bit until you learn that by heart.

You need terrain.

A measuring device.

Markers, these are usually 30 mm circles, but some are 50 mm. You can use spare bases for this but you'll need to distinguish a couple of different types during the game (scheme markers for each player, some strategies need a set, some crews uses corpse and/or scrap markers, some models place 50 mm temporary terrain). Spare bases are also useful when measuring something complex as premeasuring is allowed.

You need to track damage, conditions, soulstones, victory points, etc; this can be down with dice, counters, writing notes, dry erase markers.

Needed:
Models (You need to buy them)
Statcards (In modelboxes)

Paint and Glue for models (Needed to be bought extra)
Rules-Manual 
Fate-Deck (Normal Poker-Card-Deck can be used but its less stylish. Read Rules-Manual, how to use Poker-Deck as Fate-Deck)

A Table to play on
Coins to use as "markers"
Measuring tape (inches)

Usefull, but not needed:
Rulebook
Schemes and Strategies-deck (Extra cards with schemes and strategies written on them. You can find them in the rules manual as well)
Generalist upgrades (From the generalist upgrade-box)

Sorry I didn't want to start a new topic as I know that's usually frowned upon. But if I'm hi jacking someone elses thread then I apologies for that too!

Tokens... How many and what ones? I'm guessing some corpse and some scheme? and these are 30mm ones?

I've got my first game of malifaux scheduled for the 24th so am getting stuff ready for that, I have a mat, terrain and am painting up crews now. I also have the starter box so set for decks and rules manual (got actual manual and the starter thingy). so markers are the only thing left.... how many and what ones do I need?

Thanks for all the help :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spafe said:

Sorry I didn't want to start a new topic as I know that's usually frowned upon. But if I'm hi jacking someone elses thread then I apologies for that too!

Tokens... How many and what ones? I'm guessing some corpse and some scheme? and these are 30mm ones?

I've got my first game of malifaux scheduled for the 24th so am getting stuff ready for that, I have a mat, terrain and am painting up crews now. I also have the starter box so set for decks and rules manual (got actual manual and the starter thingy). so markers are the only thing left.... how many and what ones do I need?

Thanks for all the help :)

It depends on what crew you are running. Each player should bring all the markers he/she will need.

If you're a resser I'd recommend a far higher number of corpse markers than for other factions for example.

• Like 1

As a mimimum i'd recommend;

about 8 scheme markers per crew

8 corpse markers (for the ressers)

8 scrap markers (for the arcanists)

1 hat marker (for seamus)

Some extra markers to make would be:

some poison,burning, fast, slow, paralyzed markers would be nice but these don't have to be 30mm

a 50mm blast marker

have a look here for a marker generator:

• Like 1

The most commonly needed markers are Scheme markers. they are 30mm and can be what ever you like, as long as you can tell yours apart from your opponent. Typically you might need up to 10, but some crews use them as a resource so might want more.

Corpse and Scrarp markers are also 30mm and are normally only needed with Certain masters. If you aren't using Ressurectionists or Ramos, then you probably don't need the markers. As a general rule you don't need too many of these, but soem crews do try and generate markers as a resource. 5 of each is probably more than you will need unless you are playing as Ramos (who seems to end up with lots of scrap). Often you need 0 of either. 

Blast Markers are 50mm and are used on some attacks to damage an area. :blast is the card symbol for them. I think the most is 3 on an attack, but they are only down for a matter of seconds. I often just use an empty 50mm base. 

Some of the stratergies call for markers, so you would need 5 30mm Squat markers if you play squatters rights, 1 30mm turf war marker for Turf war, and several (maybe up to 5) 30mm Claim markers for stake a claim. 

Its perfectly acceptable to use markers for different things in different games, so if you are playing a game that needs to scrap, you could use them as squat markers in that game if you want. 

• Like 1