When to put Ice Golem/Blessed of December in a Rasputina crew?

Rat King

Hello, I recently bought a Rasputina crew box, as I really love the December theme.
I will also be getting a Snow Storm and Acolytes of December to go along with her.

I've been seeing a lot of love for Snow Storm with Rasputina, but not much love for the Blessed of December, and even less for the Ice Golem.

In a 50ss game...
When would you include either of those two instead of the Snow Storm?
When would you take either of those alongside a Snow Storm? (knowing it wouldn't leave many SS for other things)

I am trying to decide if I want to buy a Blessed of December.  If nothing else, I guess she's good with Marcus.
But the Ice Golem, this beautiful translucent figure, needs to find a spot in my lists.  
I'm just not sure where.   >.<

I'd actually consider an Ice Golem with Armour of December with Colette, you get 6" of movement plus armour +1 for a prompt.

For Raspy I'd take one with either Imbued defense or Imbued Energies, Imbued defense because Df2 is garbage. Energies because that fast can put the Golem in smash range. If they need to hold an area a Metal Gamin to buff the Golems defense can be a good idea.

Haven't used a Blessed, but she seems decent on paper.

Blessed was hard to find in metal and only recently got released in plastic, so a lot of folks haven't had the chance to play her.

Blessed leaps and has 2 AP to deliver a message.  

Charge, hit twice, leap away--preferably to cover.  

Blessed can easily leap/walk to the opponent's side of the board for break through or plant evidence.   

Also useful for chasing down isolated scheme runners.  

She is a mirror for Raspy if needed.

So much goodness.   

Bleeding Edge Tech won't help the Golem, since it only affects minion constructs. It will heal the Gamin, but sometimes I prefer the Gamin to die & explode....

i've used the Captain with Raspy before for Airburst shenanigans, and he's proven his worth in doing so. However, I find myself troubled when spending that many stones for a non-Frozen Heart model in a Raspy crew. I'm not saying that the Captain isn't useful with Raspy, just that Snow Storm provides similar functionality with a lot more Frozen Heart synergy. 

Ice Golem is generally good when you need to control an area of the board, that isn't too far from his deployment.

So If you get Turf war on Close deployment, then the Golems Speed is probably not an issue, but Interference with Corner deployemnt does not like him. 

Snowstorm can be useful for speeding up the golem as well. He isn't happy when people ignore armour. 

The blessed is a very mobile strike force. She excels at picking off models from the edge of the Pack. She doesn't want to be caught in a fight, but can take a hit or two. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also to add into the golem's defense, with Armor 2 and a Silent one, they can be pretty resilient. Just not who you want in your team when you have to get somewhere fast. Granted, if I need to go somewhere quickly, I'm not bringing Raspy. Colette, Kaeris and Marcus are much more maneuverable.

I love ice golems. If movement is not a concern I will take two and leave snowstorm at home. The first I put armor on and the second I put kill switch on. Kill switch on an ice golem is nasty and under the new hunting party is even nastier.

if movement is a big concern I will take the captain and snowstorm and blessings and leave the golems at home. 

When is movement not a concern?  (for putting in the Ice Golem)

I've mostly been playing with my Hamelin so far (assembling the December stuff today actually), and it seems like every game I've had a lot of movement between scheme running, hunting for targets to kill, trying to claim objectives, etc.

12 hours ago, Rat King said:

When is movement not a concern?  (for putting in the Ice Golem)

I've mostly been playing with my Hamelin so far (assembling the December stuff today actually), and it seems like every game I've had a lot of movement between scheme running, hunting for targets to kill, trying to claim objectives, etc.

Some crews excel in the being everywhere, others are better at controlling a smaller area. Ice Golem is one of the best models for putting out a credible threat in a small area, which is your opponent doesn't ignore armour, will take a lot of AP to put down. 

The challenge of the person playing the Ice Golem is to make that area important for the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like snow storm and ice golem together. Ice golem uses his ap to toss the poor gamins into position, which means that they can use their shooting if possible on turn one, or just positioning themselves a bit better. Snow storm takes a nice walk and then has his friend come and join him. This way, Rasputina has a lot of board control early in the game.

I haven't had the chance to used blessed yet, but I like to play cerberus with Tina as she can give out frozen heart, and that works brilliantly well for movement and scheme running. Blessed should be able to fill that position in a nice way, although a siberian white tiger looks stunning with Rasputina. :) Can't wait to try the slate ridge mauler with her, of course in the shape of a Polar bear. Yeah, Marcus has to see all his friends play with Rasputina instead xD

• Like 1