Musings of a mad man: why is Malifaux terrain Victorian?

Dhampir

Foreword: this is a bit of a ramble by the author. Yes I know it's a game and I am waaaay over thinking things, but I'm way to obsessed about the Malifaux universe.

A few times I have pondered the fluff and terrain of the world of Malifaux. According to the history when the breach was first opened they found a city both familiar and different. Like all the capital cities of earths history had been stacked and shuffled. The first breach was opened in 1787 and the predominant architectural trend was the return to Classicism. So if the breach then closed in 1797, who built all the Victorian architecture. 

It's also true that the reopening of the Breach saw parts of Malifaux in ruins due to the conflict waged just before the Breach closed.  It's possible that the Victorian aesthetic is from the rebuilding effort, and not from Old Malifaux.  The Quarantine Zones probably still look extremely strange.

12 hours ago, zeeblee said:

It's also true that the reopening of the Breach saw parts of Malifaux in ruins due to the conflict waged just before the Breach closed.  It's possible that the Victorian aesthetic is from the rebuilding effort, and not from Old Malifaux.  The Quarantine Zones probably still look extremely strange.

No to mention that various characters keep blowing up or otherwise wrecking buildings that will then have to be rebuilt. :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I had always imagined that the area around the governor's mansion and the more "posh" areas had thought Victorian feel, which melded I to regular buildings the closer to the slums you got which in turn switched to ramshackle cobbled together buildings where every space was filled and used when you got to the slums. 

The three kingdom neighborhoods were made to look more in line with their home country aesthetic.

On 1/3/2016 at 0:45 PM, zeeblee said:

The Quarantine Zones probably still look extremely strange.

Also some of the fluff has mentioned the buildings that are in the Zone and they have towers and winding stone stairways with big laboratories so all in all I agree that Malifaux is a hodge podge of various architectural designs. Who knows what you may come across above or below ground, or if you entered a nondescript building thinking you would find one thing you might find a completely different building then what was on the outside.

As Always,

The Grue

• Like 1

I think Victorian is commonly used in Malifaux because that fits the asthetic of the victorian horror theme common in the game.  The Fluff makes it totally reasonable to use everything that would be around pre-1900 which lets folks who play other games mix and match their terrain collections.

You can claim the settled areas to have been rebuilt to fit the settling peoples' taste.  The quarantine zones could and should be all kinds of weird.

I suck at building urban terrain, which is why I have focused on building bayou terrain pieces.

-DavicusPrime